• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mound City 2

229 posts in this topic

Mound City sent me a promotional flyer for the auction, and the postal carrier tried to bill me for insufficient postage. I put it back in the mailbox with a note to return to sender. Who on earth sends promotional material C.O.D.??

lol

That is too funny.

Mound City sent me a promotional flyer for the auction, and the postal carrier tried to bill me for insufficient postage. I put it back in the mailbox with a note to return to sender. Who on earth sends promotional material C.O.D.??
:roflmao:

My favorite part of the brochure:

"Mound City Auctions derives its name from an old Riverboat pilot nickname for St. Louis - which was littered with Native American burial mounds until the turn of the century, when they were scraped off to fill in sinkholes in an attempt to prevent the spread of disease."

Are these trying to turn into a legit comics auction? They got lucky last time, and with all the new rules are destined to fail.

I'll take that as they have not fixed their shipping problems.

:roflmao:

And putting limits on credit card purchases? :screwy:

"Mound City Auctions derives its name from an old Riverboat pilot nickname for St. Louis - which was littered with Native American burial mounds until the turn of the century, when they were scraped off to fill in sinkholes in an attempt to prevent the spread of disease."

Ancient Indian burial grounds :eek:

Ancient Indian burial grounds :eek:

I saw that mess in Poltergeist. :ohnoez:

lol

I just got the same thing doh!

Okay...once again I'm going to clear something up.

I was the one who sent the mailing out - I not only used a postal machine to weigh the envelopes to determine the appropriate postage, but also checked with the clerk at the counter to make sure they had the appropriate amount of postage to clear - as the envelopes were not a standard size.

Envelope.jpg

The clerk at the post office, and the machine both verified that the amount needed for this size and weight of envelope was a single 44 cent stamp. If you look at the image, you'll be able to tell what happened. The way the envelope was fed into the post office's machine, it didn't automatically detect the stamp. So it had to be checked by hand. During that process, the person handling the envelope marked it as needing "postage due" of 44 cents. If you look at the picture, you can actually see the cancel on the stamp on the envelope. The fact that it was delivered, and wasn't automatically returned to sender should be your first clue that it was, in fact, not an attempted C.O.D.

Additionally, shipping via Fedex ground to locations within the continental US will be provided free of charge for the September 18th and 19th auctions. I'll be packaging and sending the books myself - there will be no third party tossing monkey wrenches in the situation this time around.

The reason I include a little blurb about the Indian burial mounds in the advertising, is because there is actually a town called "Mound City" Missouri - its located on the opposite side of the state - and believe it or not we tend to get questions from our bidders, at least locally, as to whether or not we are based there, rather than in St. Louis. Also, its an interesting little bit of historical trivia.

On another note, the charge of $20 as an entrance fee to Project Comic Con 2 is not only not exorbitant, its downright cheap - there will be a decent variety of artists and talent either setting up to sign or holding panel discussions during the event, as well as a host of dealers. Yeah, it's definitely not going to be as large an event as one put on by Wizard World, or one that has been hosted in the same city for a number of years, but give it some credit, it isn't as hefty a ticket price, and it's only the second year the events been run - everybody's got to start someplace.

Oh, and before I forget - Thanks to DiceX for starting this thread.

Oh, and before I forget - Thanks to DiceX for starting this thread.

Just don't forget to pay me the COD overage you've been charging everyone like we arranged.

:gossip:

:jokealert:

Rob:

You're correct that the $20 fee is nothing in the way of an entry fee for a con. I will be there this weekend. But, you have to recognize that some people won't come to the auction because of it. However, I doubt you'll lose many people over that.

When exactly was the buyer's premium decided? Because I know at least 2 of the sellers in the auction and they were enticed by the low seller's premium charged. However, if you're just taking it out of the buyer's end, the seller gets less either way. I hope they knew about it going in.

Finally, I am curious as to why almost every book was CGC'd? There are a lot of books that will be LUCKY to even get the grading fees back. Those mid-low grade common silver age books are specifically what I am thinking about.

This thread is going places. And Mound City guy.. Please read as to why MANY of us do not buy from Heritage, I will give you a hint. Buyers premium. Not having one is why Comic link does so well

not buying from Heritage because of the buyer's premium is just - eh, i don't wanna be pejorative. lemme just say thanks for removing yourself from the pool of bidders (thumbs u