• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FF 1 9.4

144 posts in this topic

There was a private sale on an FF 1 9.4 and the price was slightly above $125.

Being that there are only 3 FF 1's in 9.4 (and they are all accounted for), could the JP book be the one that had purportedly sold in his auction over a year or so ago? Does anybody know??

High GPA is $99,000 and that was a couple of years ago. Private? Who knows...

That GPA data point is the book that supposedly sold at Jay Parrino's own auction, and the final price WITH the buyer's premium was slightly north of $110K. Like Tripps, I'm now wondering whether this is the same book that Jay supposedly sold in mid-2002, only now it's in a new holder.

The one Jay sold had offwhite to white pages just like this one, and it had no label comments. It looks generally as if it could be the same book. I saved a copy of the FF #1 image from Jay's 2002 auction, but I don't have access to it right now and will try to post it in this thread over the weekend. Unfortunately, it's so small that you can't read the cert number.

$125! Dammit! I always miss the bargains! 893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.giftongue.gif

27_laughing.gif

Since the 9.4 AF15 sold for 122K, I would think Parrino would want/need/insist on shattering that mark, but th equestion would be which book would you want? The first Spidey or first FF? Which book is "worth more now, an dlong-term.

Personally, I feel the Spidey will win the footrace as "most valuable Marvel" even though FF#1 came first.. Not thatan FF#1 in 9.4 willever be dreck!!

For me, there's no other Marvel book that I would want more than FF#1. I'm not much of a Spider-Man fan though, so that should come as no surprise.

As for what will win in the end, that's a tough one. FF#1 is tougher in high grade, but AF#15 is certainly more coveted. Right now those two factors result in basically a dead heat. I guess the real question then, is will the current high profile FF projects- the movie/ Ultimate FF/ Waid's FF, raise the level of interest in FF#1 enough to counteract the rabid desire for AF #15 amongst the many, die-hard Spidey fans.

Personally I'm leaning towards AF #15 winning this one. Even though the FF fan in me would like it to be the other way around.

Hello. Please post your home address so that I may come and rob you of your unbelievable Amazing Spider-Man collection while you and the family are out having a pizza. Thank you very much. insane.gif

Being that there are only 3 FF 1's in 9.4 (and they are all accounted for), could the JP book be the one that had purportedly sold in his auction over a year or so ago? Does anybody know??

I have a 95% or more Marvel collection "Silver Age" I love Spidey but I always felt as a long time Marvel Collector FF # 1 is the major key!!! Granted my collection is all kind of grades, for you high grade collectors ,my FF # 1 grades in no higher than a G+ G/VG but I'm happy with that , remember a low grade reads just as a high grade does gossip.gif,unless your investing,that's another story!!!

re AF 15 vs ff 1, which is the more coveted key, bigger key??

no contest, AF 15 wins HANDS DOWN- spidey is a popular culture icon just like batman, superman, mickey mouse, donald duck

u ask john q public on the street who mr fantastic, human torch, invisible girl and thing are and u may be lucky to get , "hey, i think i remember the orange rock man"

Below is the scan of the FF #1 which sold in Parrino's auction from mid-2002. Looks like the exact same book to me, although the scans are too small to be totally sure. The most similar feature I can spot besides the exact same cover set is the identical placement of the top staple about 1/16" onto the front cover.

This book is reported as sold in the 2003 Overstreet in the front section for $111,328, which is exactly the amount that the Mint's final bid price of $99,400 + a 12% buyer's premium would be. I seem to remember the Mint's buyer's premium being 15%, but the price reported in Overstreet suggests it was 12%. confused-smiley-013.gif

The username who was the winner of the book in the Mint auction was "joey". Anyone feel like pointing out what that name is similar to? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

ff1_cgc94.jpg

If it is the same book, why re-holder it?

If it is in one of the first generation holders, where the books edges could snag against the side of the well and suffer damage, paying the few bucks to reholder in the newer style of slab is the smartest investment one could make for a $100k book.

If it is in one of the first generation holders, where the books edges could snag against the side of the well and suffer damage, paying the few bucks to reholder in the newer style of slab is the smartest investment one could make for a $100k book.

But do you think this is the reason they did it? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif