• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FF 1 9.4

144 posts in this topic

There are at least two copies of Action #1 out there that will grade better than 8.5 (the Mile High and a non-pedigree one). The Larson one might also, but I'm certainly willing to bet it will at least tie the 8.5 on the census.

What are the chances that these hidden "million dollar slumbering giants" won't have applied color touch and/or corners mended, glue applied as do other Mile Highs? Work that was performed many years ago, before the current owners-collectors bought them from the original owners-dealers, when such efforts to slightly improve already beautiful books were not looked upon with disfavor?

i almost wrote a very similar note. i was thinking of "the dentist" and the action #1 and Tec #27 and just wondering why it might be a good idea to have CGC look at them?! of course, considering the books he may have already had one of the resto pros check them out.

imagine if one/both were restored shocked.gif

What are the chances that these hidden "million dollar slumbering giants" won't have applied color touch and/or corners mended, glue applied as do other Mile Highs?

We're only talking about one Mile High here (the Mile High Tec27 isn't owned by "The Dentist", but is more like a VF- anyways).

At any rate Fishler put the "MH Action #1 has color touch" story to rest in a thread a long time ago. The Larson isn't restored, and neither is the other copy I'm thinking about.

I agree, but there are plenty of books that are slabbed that don't need to be. Some people just like the idea of adding their Edgars to the census. You're absolutely right that he could get a million bucks from Geppi for the Action #1, slabbed or unslabbed; I was just wondering whether he was an anti-slab guy in general.

Does he ever display them? Also, is he an anti-CGC guy, or does he just not want to slab these particular copies? Anyone know?

He doesn't display them, but has been known to show them to friends from time to time.

I don't believe he has ever come out one way or the other on CGC, but why would he possibly want to spend $2,000 to get the two books graded if he has no intention of selling them at this time?

(Especially considering any interested parties would be willing to pay for the books whether they were slabbed or not).

What are the chances that these hidden "million dollar slumbering giants" won't have applied color touch and/or corners mended, glue applied as do other Mile Highs?

We're only talking about one Mile High here (the Mile High Tec27 isn't owned by "The Dentist", but is more like a VF- anyways).

At any rate Fishler put the "MH Action #1 has color touch" story to rest in a thread a long time ago.

In the same thread where he says this "The [Mile High] Action #1 would get a 9.2 if it was in a CGC holder"

He says this "The Action #1 Mile High does not have color touch. "

I think I would literally vomit if the Allentown 'Tec #27 had work done to it.

Thankfully, I'm pretty sure I'm safe on that front. It was found late enough and is almost certainly nice enough that the idea of work being done to feels unlikely. That's just my gut feeling of course, I don't have any knowledge of the book beyond the place it occupies in my dreams 27_laughing.gif

That's probably Josh bidding on the book to sell it on Comiclink.com

Does anyone else think it's a conflict of interest for a guy who runs a site like that to compete with his sellers by selling his own books on the site?

Over a dozen bids placed by this comiclink guy now... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Is he some kinda shill or something!? shocked.gif27_laughing.gif

I guess he was trying to tickle the reserve. wink.gif

Another link so people don't have to jump back to page one. hi.gif

i almost wrote a very similar note. i was thinking of "the dentist" and the action #1 and Tec #27 and just wondering why it might be a good idea to have CGC look at them?! of course, considering the books he may have already had one of the resto pros check them out.

What if he did send them to CGC and either copy had work done to it, then what...ask for a refund on the $25,000 he spent on the Action #1 in 1983? I think not. He's probably better off not knowing.

timely

What if he did send them to CGC and either copy had work done to it, then what...ask for a refund on the $25,000 he spent on the Action #1 in 1983? I think not. He's probably better off not knowing.

timely

yeh - i guess until you intend to sell it's not all that important. unless it's your retirement fund and then you better know devil.gif

That's probably Josh bidding on the book to sell it on Comiclink.com

Or just sweetening the pot on major keys, to make sure people see activity and a higher bid price. You scratch my back, I'll scratch your kind of deal. flowerred.gif

58.5 hours a year for $1000? gossip.gif

NO! makepoint.gif

I'd rather get a nice Good for a $1000 and call it my own for 24/7! cloud9.gif

edit:

Fixed it. hi.gif

I see they added that they have "in-house financing". Anyone know what their rates are? I emailed him for laughs to see what type of financing they do, but thought I'd see if someone had used them before. I'm guessing the rates aren't too favorable tongue.gif

Brian

What happened to the book? I got a notice it was removed for some no no's

Steve

it showed up on my watch list as "may no longer be available". when i clicked on it, it said that the item was basically gone, although it doesn't give a definitive reason.

seems odd, considering the price was inching up into the stratosphere and there was still a lot of time to go. wonder if someone simply offered $150K (or more) and the deal was done??

OR, what if the seller had no real intention of selling (just in it for the attention and advertising) and was afraid that the reserve might actually get hit?? devil.gif