• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Safe Deposit Box?

46 posts in this topic

I keep my guns accessible and loaded. The dobermans rotate, and can only be loaded on their nights off. And my comics are in comic boxes.

Your home owners will only cover so much. Policies are not designed to cover comic "collections" unless you get a rider. If you are concerned you should ask your agent what they will cover, and what they need as proof you owned such comics in the event of a loss.

Good luck.

That's a great idea. I hate insurance companies because they always try to find a way to deny your claim...

I got to tell you, that sure seems to be the norm. I do have one story on the exact opposite side of this belief, though it is not comic related.

I had my H2 stolen in 2008. I unfortunately had just gotten off a plane, had my golf clubs, clothes, laptop, Tag watch, and other stuff in the car. I went straight to pick my girlfriend up and go see a movie. When I got out, the car was gone.

I had two screens in my car, one upfront and a 18 inch in the back. I had 5 22 inch rims, all of which I had purchased at least three years prior, and I did not keep proof of purchase for those.

I have USAA, and when they came out to inspect the car when it was found, empty of course, they didnt ask for proof of purchase. In fact, I got reimbursed for everything, and even was able to get custom rims the second time around. I couldn't believe how smooth the process went. I have coverage for my home as well through them, and they said they cover collectables. That is easier to show proof of purchase figuring most is through paypal payment or cashiers checks. So i dropped my policy with Collectibles Insurance Services.

I am sure I am in the minority with dealing with insurance services, but I was very happy with my provider.

I've used USAA and they are a great company overall, but I asked whether my rental insurance would cover comics or if I could get a personal property plan and they said that generally insurance companies would not cover paper goods because of how easily they might be destroyed by water or fire. They said to go find a specialty provider.

Still haven't done it.

I was thinking about opening a safe deposit box to store some of my comics. I know alot of folks here on the boards seem to have boxes. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I currently have my comics stored at home and just figured my homeowners policy would cover the cost if anything happened. Does anyone have any experience with theft and/or had any difficulty making a claim for comics with the insurance company? General thoughts? Trying to decide if getting a box makes sense.

safe deposit box and/or alarm system makes it easier to file a claim with insurance company. On the other hand, alarm systems and safe deposit boxes decrease the chance of your stuff getting stolen to a very high degree, but if you have them the insurance companies don't give you a discount which reflects the increased security. And in some cases the cost of insurance for a year or two can easily exceed the cost of having safe deposit boxes and alarm systems.

Your home owners will only cover so much. Policies are not designed to cover comic "collections" unless you get a rider. If you are concerned you should ask your agent what they will cover, and what they need as proof you owned such comics in the event of a loss.

Good luck.

That's a great idea. I hate insurance companies because they always try to find a way to deny your claim...

I got to tell you, that sure seems to be the norm. I do have one story on the exact opposite side of this belief, though it is not comic related.

I had my H2 stolen in 2008. I unfortunately had just gotten off a plane, had my golf clubs, clothes, laptop, Tag watch, and other stuff in the car. I went straight to pick my girlfriend up and go see a movie. When I got out, the car was gone.

I had two screens in my car, one upfront and a 18 inch in the back. I had 5 22 inch rims, all of which I had purchased at least three years prior, and I did not keep proof of purchase for those.

I have USAA, and when they came out to inspect the car when it was found, empty of course, they didnt ask for proof of purchase. In fact, I got reimbursed for everything, and even was able to get custom rims the second time around. I couldn't believe how smooth the process went. I have coverage for my home as well through them, and they said they cover collectables. That is easier to show proof of purchase figuring most is through paypal payment or cashiers checks. So i dropped my policy with Collectibles Insurance Services.

I am sure I am in the minority with dealing with insurance services, but I was very happy with my provider.

I've used USAA and they are a great company overall, but I asked whether my rental insurance would cover comics or if I could get a personal property plan and they said that generally insurance companies would not cover paper goods because of how easily they might be destroyed by water or fire. They said to go find a specialty provider.

Still haven't done it.

I better get on the phone right now to determine wether my insurance company covers paper collectibles. :o The policy itself is so ambiguous - I wonder if I need to get a rider just to be safe.

I have been on the wait list for a big box for over a year and I finally got one. But given the issues with book deterioration and at $200+ a year, seems like a waste, especially if it's covered by insurance.

A saety deposit box is a good idea if you would have books that are hard to replace even if you have the money, like seank's Great Comics # 3. I have one because my neighborhood gets it's share of B&E's and many of my books would be hard to replace. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. You can always bring a few home if you get that urge for something new to look at.

I was thinking about opening a safe deposit box to store some of my comics. I know alot of folks here on the boards seem to have boxes. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I currently have my comics stored at home and just figured my homeowners policy would cover the cost if anything happened. Does anyone have any experience with theft and/or had any difficulty making a claim for comics with the insurance company? General thoughts? Trying to decide if getting a box makes sense.

safe deposit box and/or alarm system makes it easier to file a claim with insurance company. On the other hand, alarm systems and safe deposit boxes decrease the chance of your stuff getting stolen to a very high degree, but if you have them the insurance companies don't give you a discount which reflects the increased security. And in some cases the cost of insurance for a year or two can easily exceed the cost of having safe deposit boxes and alarm systems.

With C.I.A. you buy blanket insurance for a certain dollar amount. Let's say you have half your collection at home and the other half in a Bank Vault. You can halve your coverage, covering any one location. This effectively amounts to an insurance discount which will offset your Safety Deposit Box expenses.

Check your current bank policy if you already get a free or discounted safe deposit box rate.

I was at my Chase bank a week ago and was inquiring how much a safe deposit box is and they told me that with my current account I already get a free safe deposit box. Mind you it's tiny, suppose to be like 3x5 or something, but you also get a 20% discount on others. After 10+ yrs. with the Bank, this is the first time they ever told me I get a free SD box.

Why not a safe in the house ?

Isn't it a pain to go to the bank to look at your comics ?

I have a gun safe but I don't have comics in it.

lol that's whole other issue. Be sure to read the thread about people's comics rusting to nothing inside of fire proof safes.

That was one person that encountered the rust. For the most part, safes are ok.

I've kept my books for decades in the same Sears safe and they are still as nice now...

Buy guns and dobermans - money in the bank :thumbsup:

My thoughts exactly. Of course the guns are in the safe with the comics...

The doberman isn't, tho'...

The guns don't do much good if they are locked away. Best to scatter them loaded around the house.

The guns don't do much good if they are locked away. Best to scatter them loaded around the house.

That's what I do!

Nor do they help in case of a fire or flood which might be more likely than a break in.

SDB are awesome but, do a test first to check their temp and humidity control...

I would place one book in there (that isn't worth much) and check back in a few months

to see if there is any signs of rust on the staples.

I still check my boxes about once a month to make sure there are no changes.

I have two SDBs.

(thumbs u

Now be honest. You just go so you can look at them. :baiting: