• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I think I did the right thing restoring these ...................

63 posts in this topic

BATS #1 - originally low grade, had major glue at staples (would come back restored anyway)

batman1front.jpg

batman1back.jpg

Matt Nelson worked his magic:

P7230194.jpg

P7230195.jpg

SUPES #1 - originally low-grade, unrestored

SUP15711a1.jpg

SUP15711b1.jpg

Matt Nelson again:

supes1.jpg

Was this the right thing to do ?

Are restored grails becoming more "accepted" possibly, with prices for unrestored going through the roof?

Thoughts?

For what it's worth (I'm a *very* small fish in the GA pond) I think you did a good thing. Both of those books will have their lifespans vastly increased thanks to that work, and they look great to boot. (thumbs u

For what it's worth (I'm a *very* small fish in the GA pond) I think you did a good thing. Both of those books will have their lifespans vastly increased thanks to that work, and they look great to boot. (thumbs u

I think that's a great point -- yes, they look awesome, but they will do so for such a long time now! Maybe until the time when resto is seen in a less negative light then it is now (?)

I am not disagreeing with you, but I do want to ask: Why do you feel this work will increase the comics' lifespans? (That is, compared to having them slabbed raw.)

Both books look phenomenal.

Restoration can be a beautiful thing so long as all the work that has been done to the book is disclosed to the buyer. And depending on what kind of work was done (although I'm no restoration expert), I would imagine that the life-span of the book would be better off provided the work was good...and in this case, I'd say that's a pretty safe bet.

If you're keeping them for your enjoyment, I wouldn't worry so much about how well the public is "accepting" PLOD-grails these days. What matters is how the books make you feel and if I was in your shoes, I'd be quite pleased. (thumbs u

BATS #1 - originally low grade, had major glue at staples (would come back restored anyway)

batman1front.jpg

batman1back.jpg

Matt Nelson worked his magic:

P7230194.jpg

P7230195.jpg

SUPES #1 - originally low-grade, unrestored

SUP15711a1.jpg

SUP15711b1.jpg

Matt Nelson again:

supes1.jpg

Was this the right thing to do ?

Are restored grails becoming more "accepted" possibly, with prices for unrestored going through the roof?

Thoughts?

Ordinarily I don't like large pieces replaced but the Supe 1 should have an asterisk because the piece replaced is one solid color with no real artwork recreated.

From a *collector value* point of view, two beaters have just emerged as wonderfull gems ready to timetravel the next 50 years. To be enjoyed and showcased in a jawdropping collecting community - going: ohh, ahh, ihh (worship)

From an *investor* point of view ... this was ahh - for the time being; as we speak - perhaps not the best thing in the world to do - moneywise. Universal grade is currently the only standard for the money-people. Its the only thing they dare touch.

By the way: Matts work looks very nice (from what I can see).

They both look great.

Can't believe that Bats got an extensive label - looks more moderate to me.

I think Matt was hoping/expecting moderate -- oh well!

I think the Batman was labeled an extensive because of the total amount of work done, meaning not just the small pieces added but also the extensive color touch and reglossing (I'm guessing based on the "before" picture).

R.