• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I think I did the right thing restoring these ...................

63 posts in this topic

Personally, I would have definitely restored the Batman #1, but I am not sure about the Superman #1 since it would have been a blue label.

Either way, they look beautiful!

+1 Definitely the way to go on the Bat 1, if nothing else to stop the rust migration at the top staple. I, too, would've kept the Supes 1 unrestored. That being said, congrats on having two wonderful looking copies of GA grails :applause:

Personally, I would have definitely restored the Batman #1, but I am not sure about the Superman #1 since it would have been a blue label.

+1 Definitely the way to go on the Bat 1, if nothing else to stop the rust migration at the top staple. I, too, would've kept the Supes 1 unrestored. That being said, congrats on having two wonderful looking copies of GA grails :applause:

If it's the copy that I remember, the Supes #1 has multiple small pieces of tape on the inside front cover. Probably a good thing to get rid of those.

The books look great!! I think you made the right decision.

As to whether the restoration will prolong the life of a book, I'm not so sure. First, I think that is too broad of a question. I think some restoration - such as cleaning of staples to avoid rust migration - defintiely preserves the book's lifespan. However, some other forms of restoration, such as color touch, adding pieces, and cleaning a cover may not have the same preservation effect (although the appearance of the book will likely improve). I wonder if certain types of restoration will actually decrease the lifespan of the paper, even though the same restoration greatly increases the cosmetic aspect of the book in the short term - I defer to Kenny or someone with an expertise on this question. In this regard, what are the long term effects of bleaching interior pages to whiten them?

Ordinarily I don't like large pieces replaced but the Supe 1 should have an asterisk because the piece replaced is one solid color with no real artwork recreated.

was it just the back cover or the last page too?

I think there were two interior pages with the same piece missing.

I wonder if certain types of restoration will actually decrease the lifespan of the paper, even though the same restoration greatly increases the cosmetic aspect of the book in the short term - I defer to Kenny or someone with an expertise on this question. In this regard, what are the long term effects of bleaching interior pages to whiten them?

+1

I'm curious. hm

Ordinarily I don't like large pieces replaced but the Supe 1 should have an asterisk because the piece replaced is one solid color with no real artwork recreated.

Just the back cover (you can also see the scan and see last page is intact)

If it's the copy that I remember, the Supes #1 has multiple small pieces of tape on the inside front cover. Probably a good thing to get rid of those.

Not the same copy -- no tape on mine.

Fish they look great but I probably would have left the Supes as is. Something about an unrestored GA key in any condition that is so cool.

Yeah, huge dilemma for me deciding on the Supes#1 for sure, and not sure if getting the 5.5 was "satisfying" enough for me (in terms of justifying the decision to restore) -- I mean, it looks magnificent in hand, but I guess too many big chunks to allow anything higher (?) ----- the Bats#1 : a no-brainer for me.

If you're planning on keeping them both indefinitely, then restored is the way to go. Now crack 'em out and put 'em in a Mylar.

:cloud9:

All my key GA collected over the last 4 years or so were, and still are, for the purpose of keeping longterm, so they'll have a nice home for a while. Cracking may happen eventually, just not right now.

Just the back cover (you can also see the scan and see last page is intact)

Fish, no offense, but that's not the last page showing through on the bottom left where the chunk is missing. Grab an Archive Edition or FFE and you'll see that the large chunk also affects the last two wraps, which include a 2-page text story, a full page ad for Action 14, and a "meet-the-creators" page about Siegel & Shuster.

I know it's your book, but every aspect of this copy is burned into my brain.

That was the perfect way to use resto. And like everyone has said no artwork pieces where added which is a massive plus.

On your books seeing the before and after pics I feel more like using the words "heavily conserved" rather than "heavily restored"

Resto usually turns me off but here in this case it actually turns me on!

Eh, that did not come out right. But you catch my drift. lol

it seems like on the superman 1 that spine wasn't going to hold up for that long and before you know it you'd have a split and detached cover (in addition to a rusty staple or two), so it seems to have made sense.

just out of curiousity, what did this work on these two cost with a pro like nelson?