• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I think I did the right thing restoring these ...................

63 posts in this topic

Ordinarily I don't like large pieces replaced but the Supe 1 should have an asterisk because the piece replaced is one solid color with no real artwork recreated.

was it just the back cover or the last page too?

I think there were two interior pages with the same piece missing.

Just the back cover (you can also see the scan and see last page is intact)

Fish, no offense, but that's not the last page showing through on the bottom left where the chunk is missing. Grab an Archive Edition or FFE and you'll see that the large chunk also affects the last two wraps, which include a 2-page text story, a full page ad for Action 14, and a "meet-the-creators" page about Siegel & Shuster.

I know it's your book, but every aspect of this copy is burned into my brain.

. :flamed: ...sent to Matt immediately and this fact wasn't listed in detail, so assumed it was just back cover ... and we all know what happens when we "assume" -- "asss" "u" "me" , but mainly me!!

Kenny deserves credit here. These were two of our first leafcasting projects, and they both came out great. The Bat #1 is the same one we have pictures of on the website, both before and after.

Just for sake of disclosure, my original estimate was 5.5 - 6.0 on the Superman #1 and 6.5 on the Batman #1, both extensive. I had mentioned in the notes that the Superman would need a graft to the last two pages as well as the back cover.

The one aspect of restoration that I believe prolongs the life of the book is cleaning. Staple cleaning obviously removes the rust. A solvent bath removes tape, glue, and foreign particles that can break down paper over time. And water cleaning hydrates the paper and removes stains (like the oil in the Bat #1) that also break down the paper.

Structural repair makes the book safe to handle, which we all love doing. Color touch is strictly an aesthetic aspect of restoration, but it can dramatically increase the apparent grade (and value) of the book, ultimately justifiying the cost one puts in to preserving it for the future.

Kenny deserves credit here. These were two of our first leafcasting projects, and they both came out great. The Bat #1 is the same one we have pictures of on the website, both before and after.

Just for sake of disclosure, my original estimate was 5.5 - 6.0 on the Superman #1 and 6.5 on the Batman #1, both extensive. I had mentioned in the notes that the Superman would need a graft to the last two pages as well as the back cover.

The one aspect of restoration that I believe prolongs the life of the book is cleaning. Staple cleaning obviously removes the rust. A solvent bath removes tape, glue, and foreign particles that can break down paper over time. And water cleaning hydrates the paper and removes stains (like the oil in the Bat #1) that also break down the paper.

Structural repair makes the book safe to handle, which we all love doing. Color touch is strictly an aesthetic aspect of restoration, but it can dramatically increase the apparent grade (and value) of the book, ultimately justifiying the cost one puts in to preserving it for the future.

a restoman sighting :applause:

They are my books and I didn't even know all of that detail you provided -- Thank you, great insight!!

They are my books and I didn't even know all of that detail you provided -- Thank you, great insight!!

you have to wait till he is getting ready to put on his Mickey Mouse Ears before he reveals his secrets lol

I had heard what a difference a water bath can make for a severely stained and acidic cover, so for fun I dipped a horribly stained cover in water and then let it dry flat. I couldn't believe how much nicer it looked. And there seems to be no difference chemically and texturally between the one I dipped in water and other unsoaked low grade covers from the same era.

Technically, is cleaning restoration? That is, if all you do is clean a comic, would it merit a Purple Label?

I had heard what a difference a water bath can make for a severely stained and acidic cover, so for fun I dipped a horribly stained cover in water and then let it dry flat. I couldn't believe how much nicer it looked. And there seems to be no difference chemically and texturally between the one I dipped in water and other unsoaked low grade covers from the same era.

Is that really all there is to it -- just dipping a comic in water and letting it dry?

Also, what kind of chemical solvent do you dip a comic in to remove tape? Peroxide?

That is, if all you do is clean a comic, would it merit a Purple Label?

Yes.

Wet clean..........Yes

Dry clean..........No

so my suits are unrestored, but my blue jeans don't get a blue label. well, i have more money in the suits so i guess this is best for my wardrobe investment down the road.

Yes.

Wet clean..........Yes

Dry clean..........No

so my suits are unrestored, but my blue jeans don't get a blue label. well, i have more money in the suits so i guess this is best for my wardrobe investment down the road.

So go ahead and trim the legs off of those old jeans. Your jorts are already restored.

Yes.

Wet clean..........Yes

Dry clean..........No

So go ahead and trim the legs off of those old jeans. Your jorts are already restored.
:cloud9:

Yes.

Wet clean..........Yes

Dry clean..........No

:cloud9:

Face it! - We are all restored. From the day we started brushing our teeth we ceased being original (universal grade) beings. We lost the right to a blue holder for our existence. We turned red. Not commi red. But purple. :cry:

:jokealert:

Yes.

Wet clean..........Yes

Dry clean..........No

If a book gets wet by accident and leaves a stain, the book is still considered an investment.

If a book gets wet on purpose and the water removes a stain, it is no longer an investment.

If a book gets wet by accident and leaves a stain, the book is still considered an investment.

If a book gets wet on purpose and the water removes a stain, it is no longer an investment.

That's the inconsistency of human logic!

Honestly, I'd rather have the book that got wet on purpose and removed a stain.

I think the GA collectors are happy to have a book with light resto. It's the bronze/modern collectors that skew the resto perception to negative. If there are 5,000 graded copies of Spider-Man 300, the lack of interest in restored copies makes sense when there are so many available that are unrestored.

On the other hand, if I want Pep 22, there are very few opportunities to buy a copy. If I found a fragile copy, I would prefer having it restored so that it would survive and so I could handle it.

Yes.

Wet clean..........Yes

Dry clean..........No

Not everyone thinks of investment as the primary goal of collecting comic books.

Good points from buttock and letomo. Though with a 50K book, few if any people can or should spend that kind of money without considering whether it's an investment.

If someone considers a stain-added book to be an investment while a stain-removed book is not, that's their personal choice but it should remain a personal choice and they shouldn't expect that all others will either share it or be forced to share it.

Good points from buttock and letomo. Though with a 50K book, few if any people can or should spend that kind of money without considering whether it's an investment.

If someone considers a stain-added book to be an investment while a stain-removed book is not, that's their personal choice but it should remain a personal choice and they shouldn't expect that all others will either share it or be forced to share it.

Good Point --- although "collecting" is my primary purpose in all of this, certainly I'd want to be able to "liquify" any of my grails if life took a horrible turn, or at least my kids should have the option of doing so years down the road