• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buy a $1,000 book, get a five year old polybag.

151 posts in this topic

Yes,

Gerber now calls them "Archives".

They are the ones with the open "tabbed" top. No flap.

Horrible to get stuff shipped in those.

I now ship my highest grade books to CGC exclusively in these. Never had a problem.

I use an open top archive, a full back, stack them, place a small stack of them into a CGC slab plastic bag, fasten the bag with tape so that the stack is snug and then place between 2 pieces cardboard like I've always done.

If they are snug I have trouble seeing a book slip out of one of these.

I have received books from Roy and he does an excellent job of anticipating the forces involved in shipping. The key here is the secondary bag to keep the books from flying out of the top of the open top archive.

Packaging a book is pretty simple physics.

You want to keep the book from moving/sliding around.

You want to keep the book from bending.

You want a little space around the sides of the package so that if a crunch happens the book has some room to avoid it.

You take care of these 3 things well and you generally won't have a problem, no matter what type of package you use...envelope or box.

Edit: Just saw Mike's post above. :blush:

Thanks, Mike!

(thumbs u

You know what - when I ship, my aim is to protect. If it is a $1K book, then the buyer should be able to spring for the what....., $1 or $2 to put the book in his choice of sleeve after he gets the book.

I've had books damaged because they were shipped in too big of a mylar/mylite, damaged because they were shipped in open top mylar and the book whipped into the tape, damaged because they were shipped in a priority envelope or other crappy packaging, etc,etc, etc.

Any book I get in is usually in the wrong sleeve to integrate into my collection anyway - I expect this, and any expensive book I get in, I put in a mylite2 and FB. I hate snugs - I save them up and sell them to Tracey Heft - my opinion is they suck for comic book storage.

I would be extremely happy if I could just get books mailed to me without shipping damage. But that seems to be too much to ask of many sellers.

And yes, I still have very expensive books in my collection in polyethylene/polypropylene bags with cheap backing boards.

You talk too much.

:shy:

:thumbsup:

Packaging a book is pretty simple physics.

You want to keep the book from moving/sliding around.

You want to keep the book from bending.

You want a little space around the sides of the package so that if a crunch happens the book has some room to avoid it.

You take care of these 3 things well and you generally won't have a problem, no matter what type of package you use...envelope or box.

Edit: Just saw Mike's post above. :blush:

Thanks, Mike!

(thumbs u

You do an awesome job! :banana:

It is simple physics, and I wish more people would think about it..., instead of blaming the post office for their own faults.

Yes,

Gerber now calls them "Archives".

They are the ones with the open "tabbed" top. No flap.

Horrible to get stuff shipped in those.

I now ship my highest grade books to CGC exclusively in these. Never had a problem.

I use an open top archive, a full back, stack them, place a small stack of them into a CGC slab plastic bag, fasten the bag with tape so that the stack is snug and then place between 2 pieces cardboard like I've always done.

If they are snug I have trouble seeing a book slip out of one of these.

I have received books from Roy and he does an excellent job of anticipating the forces involved in shipping. The key here is the secondary bag to keep the books from flying out of the top of the open top archive.

I have never bought a book from Roy.. Mostly because he either sells REALLY expensive books, or Marvel junk.

Who does that? Mike im actually shocked!
It's not like I was asking for a refund - I was asking him to pack correctly so I could buy another $100 or so of his books.

You offering to take me out Dice?

Are you offering to go?

We should take this to PM :blush:

Only if you're uncomfortable.

Friends,Fugetaboutit :slapfight:

Will you please stop changing your damn avatar? :makepoint:

F.F said it was too much like supapimp,and to change it.So I did (shrug)

F.F said to send me all your Batbooks.

honestly, i wouldn't expect a mylar/mylite, not everyone has those. yeah, a non-yucky looking polybag would be nice, but I've had some that got that weird wrinkliness to them like 6 months after I bagged the books, so it's hard to tell how old they are. I don't expect a fancy backing board, though with a book like that I would probably double or triple board the book with the regular coated boards I get from my shop or have sitting around.

as for a box, yeah, probably with a book like that though I have sent out $400-500 books in the flat rate envelope with REALLY sturdy 4-5 piece of cardboard, though in hindsight I probably should have used a box. i've never had a book damaged in a well-packed flat rate PM envelope though.

That you know of...,

I assume someone would say something if that had happened. I can box a book up all nice and such and if someone wants to toss it hard it might get damaged too.

Don't assume just since no one says something, it hasn't happened. I'm guessing the average damage rate on flat rate priority envelope shipped books is at least 25% - that's my win rate with sellers who do that to me. I rarely say anything unless I'm out-of-pocket quite a bit. I just don't order from them again.

I did recently bring this issue up with a boardie who had additional books I wanted - I wanted reassurance he would package correctly - he wouldn't commit, so I didn't order. His exact words were:

I am sorry for the previous packaging issues. I cannot guarantee that these books will arrive safe and sound. My intention is to package them well however I cannot be responsible for how they are tossed around once they leave.

Again, sorry for the whatever occurred in the past.

there is no way i have a 25% damage rate and i have no way had a 25% damage rate on any books shipped to me in an envelope that are packed PROPERLY..that is between 3-6 pieces of sturdy carboard. do you have gorillas working at your local PO?

the most damaged books I ever got were shipped in a PM box because the shipper was clueless as to how books should be packed once inside the box, but i don't blame the box!

anyway, where do people get all these boxes for 1 comic at a time? i ordered a bunch of uline boxes a long time ago and am still working through them, but i don't expect everyone else to have done so.

You offering to take me out Dice?

Are you offering to go?

We should take this to PM :blush:

Only if you're uncomfortable.

Friends,Fugetaboutit :slapfight:

Will you please stop changing your damn avatar? :makepoint:

F.F said it was too much like supapimp,and to change it.So I did (shrug)

F.F said to send me all your Batbooks.

What was your address again Gav hm 123 stickitupyourknickers Place,United Kingdom (:

Quite often collections come in the store that are thirty + years old and aren't in bags at all.

Sometimes they include books that are worth a thousand or more. This thread has made me see the light.

From now on I won't be buying any books that aren't in perfect new mylars.

Even if they are slabbed.

Quite often collections come in the store that are thirty + years old and aren't in bags at all.

Sometimes they include books that are worth a thousand or more. This thread has made me see the light.

Can you show us an example of a crummy book that came into your store without a brand new bag on it?

:wishluck:

Can you show us an example of a crummy book that came into your store without a brand new bag on it?

wonder12.jpg

wonder12.jpg

That one's a fluke. Any more?

wonder12.jpg

It's such a shame. This book probably would have had white pages. doh!

wonder12.jpg

That one's a fluke. Any more?

No bag at all...

terrytoons38.jpg