• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buy a $1,000 book, get a five year old polybag.

151 posts in this topic

I have 20 year old bags that look just like the ones I bought this year hm

Do you keep $1,000 books in them?

Oh my no :eek:

Polybags and unbuffered boards don't become acidic for 5 to 10 years, although that time period can go up or down depending upon the environment they're stored in. For shipping, it doesn't matter at all. I sense some kind of weird indignation that polybags are an affront to the respectability of a vintage comic, which is fairly melodramatic. If what you're peeved about is that a seller who is netting a grand off of a comic is cheaping out on you by not sending you a mylite, then the two considerations are that most people don't even use mylites at all as well as mylars allow too much sliding room as others are pointing out. However, he could have put the polybag inside a mylar so you'd be ready to go with storage when the book got to you, so yea, the seller was cheaping out a little, which if he sells lots of books is something he should think about changing.

The envelope shipping is just estupido! I generally give envelope option on cheap books but always boxes on UHG, and more expensive books. After all its my cash being sent. Book gets damaged, I refund money and sell it for less next time.

The only thing that really matters is that the book was stored and packaged in such a way that it wouldn't be damaged during shipping.

Agreed because I teabag Watson anyway.

hm

lol

hm

The envelope shipping is just estupido! I generally give envelope option on cheap books but always boxes on UHG, and more expensive books. After all its my cash being sent. Book gets damaged, I refund money and sell it for less next time.

Frankly, I'm not really concerned about the bag and board. If a book arrives and looks like it needs to be replaced, then I do it. But I hardly expect a mylar. ACTUALLY, I hate mylars as they don't store well in my long or short boxes. I'd think mylites are a better option... but that's a bit OT.

For a book of THAT value, though? Yeah, absolutely NO reason whatsoever that a box wasn't used to protect that book. That's just not being careful and cautious seller.

I am usually disappointed when I buy a pricy book and it arrives in an envelope. Less expensive book? They're fine.... but a little common sense can go a long way.

This thread reminds me of the local comic shows I attended here in CT back in late 80's early 90's. It wasn't unusual to buy comics from some dealers that had bags so yellow, you couldn't even tell the colors on the cover of the comic.

One guy used to use masking tape on all his bags. Masking tape fuses itself to polybags. I had to cut those comics out of the bag with a pair of scissors. :eek:

How much did you actually pay for the book the seller estimated was worth ~$1000 and do you think the seller thought you made a lowball bid? hm

Please give us the link because the answer to these questions is the price of our advise.

No book that you paid $1000 for belongs in an old polybag but as to who is the more motivated to put it in its rightful place is determined by the specifics of the change of ownership.

If he shipped it and its condition changed as a result then you may have a claim against the seller due to his choice of packaging.

Are you another lawyer that's on this board? (shrug)

Frankly, I'm not really concerned about the bag and board. If a book arrives and looks like it needs to be replaced, then I do it. But I hardly expect a mylar. ACTUALLY, I hate mylars as they don't store well in my long or short boxes. I'd think mylites are a better option... but that's a bit OT.

For a book of THAT value, though? Yeah, absolutely NO reason whatsoever that a box wasn't used to protect that book. That's just not being careful and cautious seller.

I am usually disappointed when I buy a PRICY book and it arrives in an envelope. Less expensive book? They're fine.... but a little common sense can go a long way.

:baiting:

honestly, i wouldn't expect a mylar/mylite, not everyone has those. yeah, a non-yucky looking polybag would be nice, but I've had some that got that weird wrinkliness to them like 6 months after I bagged the books, so it's hard to tell how old they are. I don't expect a fancy backing board, though with a book like that I would probably double or triple board the book with the regular coated boards I get from my shop or have sitting around.

as for a box, yeah, probably with a book like that though I have sent out $400-500 books in the flat rate envelope with REALLY sturdy 4-5 piece of cardboard, though in hindsight I probably should have used a box. i've never had a book damaged in a well-packed flat rate PM envelope though.

honestly, i wouldn't expect a mylar/mylite, not everyone has those. yeah, a non-yucky looking polybag would be nice, but I've had some that got that weird wrinkliness to them like 6 months after I bagged the books, so it's hard to tell how old they are. I don't expect a fancy backing board, though with a book like that I would probably double or triple board the book with the regular coated boards I get from my shop or have sitting around.

as for a box, yeah, probably with a book like that though I have sent out $400-500 books in the flat rate envelope with REALLY sturdy 4-5 piece of cardboard, though in hindsight I probably should have used a box. i've never had a book damaged in a well-packed flat rate PM envelope though.

That you know of...,

That you know of...,

I assume someone would say something if that had happened. I can box a book up all nice and such and if someone wants to toss it hard it might get damaged too.

I once received 5 early ASM's from a guy of ebay in Colorado (middle of no where as he told me it was a 1 hour drive to the nearest post office) and the books were graded in the VF/NM range with average pictures. Let's just say I took a chance and the average condition was more like VG to F-.

And on top of that they were shipped in a big box with little support and the comics were in their original YELLOW (and I mean YELLOW YELLOW) with no back boards.

The comic's pages were actually soft and although I usually like the smell of old comics but these were just disgusting.

Took 3 more weeks but got all my money back.

Some people have no common sense.

The only thing that really matters is that the book was stored and packaged in such a way that it wouldn't be damaged during shipping.

Agreed because I rebag everything anyway.

Here you go! I always rebag what I buy and assume most collectors that buy books over 5 dollars worth will do the same. I don't care what the book comes in as long as it is in the condition advertised. ;)

All I care about is receiving the book I paid for, undamaged. If I get the book wrapped up in postmarked in Egyptian cotton, I don't care as long as it's undamaged, and I won't give it a second thought.

If, upon receiving an undamaged book, I wasn't thrilled with the manner in which it was shipped to me, then I'll either not buy from that seller again, or make sure to insist on different materials if I do. But being angry because a book that arrived safe *could* have been damaged in an envelope is ridiculous. Similarly, I can deal with spending a few cents to put the book in a better bag.

Life isn't that difficult.

Agreed because I rebag everything anyway.

Here you go! I always rebag what I buy and assume most collectors that buy books over 5 dollars worth will do the same.

If a book is already sent in a mylite or mylar, I'm going to guess that most collectors don't replace those.