• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage Rant

48 posts in this topic

New York is the same. You should see what they charge me. Since Heritage opened two new galleries in NYC and Beverly Hills, they started charging sales tax to people who buy from them in those two states. It just comes with the territory.

New York is the same. You should see what they charge me. Since Heritage opened two new galleries in NYC and Beverly Hills, they started charging sales tax to people who buy from them in those two states. It just comes with the territory.

Is there a cover to walk into the Gallery? :eyeroll:

Hey, at least the catalogues are still free....for now.

in most states, shipping is a taxable service, just the same as you paying tax on the carpet cleaners (or whatever)...heritage operates in NY and CA, so if they ship to you in those states, you pay tax on that service...

in Florida (like most states), they actually don't require a retailer to charge tax on shipping out of the state, just if all the shipping takes place in the state of Fl...in other words, if I ship to GA. I don't have to charge tax on the shipping cost...but if I ship to Jive in Fl, I have to pay tax (like I did on the OSPG!)

I don't understand why folks would think shipping is not a taxable service?

That sucks. Doesn't sound right either. How can they charge you tax on the shipping?

When they first did that for me, I asked my husband and he said it's proper (he's the accountant, not me). So...I don't bid on their stuff much anymore, or have a friend out of State bid. I was told I could change my account to a friend's address, but that would only cost me more in shipping, so there is no point. I find I look less and less...it's fine whatever they charge, but I'm less and less interested.

There are plenty of places to buy more stuff.

in most states, shipping is a taxable service, just the same as you paying tax on the carpet cleaners (or whatever)...heritage operates in NY and CA, so if they ship to you in those states, you pay tax on that service...

in Florida (like most states), they actually don't require a retailer to charge tax on shipping out of the state, just if all the shipping takes place in the state of Fl...in other words, if I ship to GA. I don't have to charge tax on the shipping cost...but if I ship to Jive in Fl, I have to pay tax (like I did on the OSPG!)

I don't understand why folks would think shipping is not a taxable service?

I live in NY State, and own/run 2 small business. Quite a few years ago the state announced that shipping will be a taxable item. We fought it and lost. They said that sellers were making a profit on the shipping and were sneaking in additional charges in there, so that is why NY did it. And other states followed-

It sux.

Yes , in Canada our GST tax is a Goods and Services tax so everything gets hit not just the actual item cost.

New houses, new cars, taxes on everything.

:censored:

Oregon = zero sales tax :cloud9:

Of course, it has the good and bad that comes with it.

I haven't found the bad yet...
The bad is we don't stick it to out-of-staters to uphold our infrastructure, like they do to us. :(

Where is Comiclink based? I'm in NY and I bid on a few books in the current auction that ends tomorrow. I assumed Comiclink is in NY too. Does anyone know if taxes are added to the total charge with shipping/insurance like for Heritage?

Where is Comiclink based? I'm in NY and I bid on a few books in the current auction that ends tomorrow. I assumed Comiclink is in NY too. Does anyone know if taxes are added to the total charge with shipping/insurance like for Heritage?

You'd have to call them to ask for the facts, but I personally believe that one of the reasons they moved their operation out of NYC could be to not have to charge the NY tax to NY residents. You've got some of the deepest pockets in the world living in NYC, it would only make sense to encourage them to bid rather than hinder them by forcing them to pay a tax that the rest of the country didn't. Not too many bidders in Portland, relatively speaking. I seem to remember discussing something along those lines.

You'd have to call them to ask for the facts, but I personally believe that one of the reasons they moved their operation out of NYC could be to not have to charge the NY tax to NY residents. You've got some of the deepest pockets in the world living in NYC, it would only make sense to encourage them to bid rather than hinder them by forcing them to pay a tax that the rest of the country didn't. Not too many bidders in Portland, relatively speaking. I seem to remember discussing something along those lines.

Thanks Roy. Good to know they aren't based in NY!

Well, they used to be...and then they moved their main operation, but they still have an office there in NYC.

I'd call to get the straight facts as I don't want to mislead anyone. I just remember discussing it on here and what I posted is loosely what I remember.

ComicLink

40 West 37th Street - Suite 1001

New York, NY 10018 :whistle:

ComicLink

40 West 37th Street - Suite 1001

New York, NY 10018 :whistle:

Drat!