• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What book would you buy for 5k to 7k?

108 posts in this topic

I saw bat 1 plod, mentioned a bunch of times...I haven't seen any copies under 10K in a while (at least not collectible copies)... but that would be a great pick if you can up your base to about 10K+

tec 38 would be a cool book, but it is still WAY overvalued relative to supply and demand, so I would only buy if you can get at a bargain price (relative to guide and market)

any restored tec in the 29,31,33,35 range would be a cool book to have, and if bought at the right price, probably a good idea

for some, suspense 3 is a cornerstone book

Weird Mysteries 5 is da bomb, for sure! but not sure I would put 5-7K into a copy (just my opinion)

WDCS 1 is a cool book too...prices have been falling/softening of late, so you would want to buy right, if you like that one

Phantom Lady is a nice niche comic, but not sure, unless you are a GGA fan, that it would qualify for cornerstone for most folks (for some, they obvious do)

my guess is an action 12 would be cool...I doubt you can get any action 13 for under 5 figures, though

not sure if I missed commenting on any suggestions, just thought I would add my opinion, but when one spends 5K+ on a book, it needs to not only be a book you will LOVE, but one that others love as well, because at that price, you need to consider value as part of the choice equation (as in what could you sell it for if you had to in a pinch)

If I didn't already own a couple, I'd pick up a nice Mile High copy of "whatever you collect". Premiums (i.e. multiples) for the pedigree have really softened in the last few years on all but the highest demand items, and frankly, nothing (but perhaps a San Fran) compares to a Church book.

I saw bat 1 plod, mentioned a bunch of times...I haven't seen any copies under 10K in a while (at least not collectible copies)... but that would be a great pick if you can up your base to about 10K+

tec 38 would be a cool book, but it is still WAY overvalued relative to supply and demand, so I would only buy if you can get at a bargain price (relative to guide and market)

any restored tec in the 29,31,33,35 range would be a cool book to have, and if bought at the right price, probably a good idea

Weird Mysteries 5 is da bomb, for sure! but not sure I would put 5-7K into a copy (just my opinion)

WDCS 1 is a cool book too...prices have been falling/softening of late, so you would want to buy right, if you like that one

Phantom Lady is a nice niche comic, but not sure, unless you are a GGA fan, that it would qualify for cornerstone for most folks (for some, they obvious do)

my guess is an action 12 would be cool...I doubt you can get any action 13 for under 5 figures, though

not sure if I missed commenting on any suggestions, just thought I would add my opinion, but when one spends 5K+ on a book, it needs to not only be a book you will LOVE, but one that others love as well, because at that price, you need to consider value as part of the choice equation (as in what could you sell it for if you had to in a pinch)

Great analysis. (thumbs u And not that dissimilar from how I arrived at Tec 35 as my grail.

Once upon a time, $5-7K could buy you the moon in the comic world, but I actually find it kind of surprising how few books there are that I love and that I would seriously consider dropping that kind of money for. It does seem like (generalizing broadly) the "holiest" of first-tier GA grails are no longer attainable in any grade for that amount, whereas other GA grail-type books have become much more attainable these days and seem potentially a bit risky to sink that kind of investment into.

Aren't you a big Adventure Sandman collector? My personal choice in my list would be the Cap #1 or MM #9 if they are even possible.

Adventure #40

All American #61

All Star #3

All Star #8

More Fun #52

Captain America#1 Assuming you can get at least a restored one for 7k.

Marvel Mystery #9 Assuming you can get at least a restored one for 7k.

Some other choices. Could either get 2 copies of these or get a nicer single copy.

Exciting #9

Red Raven#1

Silver Streak #6

Planet #1

Amazing Man #5

Human Torch #8 - could get a sweet copy.

great list

Adventure #40...nice restored copies can be had at 7K entry...second only to MF 52 and Cap 1 on this list, though not sure either can be had for 5-7K hm

All American #61...wonderful book, probable at 5-7K for nice mid to mid/high

All Star #3...$5-7 K will buy a lovely copy

All Star #8...$5-7 K will buy a lovely copy

More Fun #52...my guess is that 10K is the entry point, even on restored, but one might get lucky...

Captain America#1 Assuming you can get at least a restored one for 7k....a few years ago, seemed like a bunch in that range...not so much any more

Marvel Mystery #9 Assuming you can get at least a restored one for 7k....I think an ext rest mid grade is possible in that range...

Some other choices. Could either get 2 copies of these or get a nicer single copy.

Exciting #9...cool book, but not "high" demand

Red Raven#1....same, cool book, but not "high" demand, I would worry about value

Silver Streak #6...3K can buy a nice copy

Planet #1...excellent choice and seems to have mod to strong demand

Amazing Man #5...one of my all time favorites, but tougher resale

Human Torch #8 - could get a sweet copy....12 or 8, both super cool, but not "cornerstone" books imo

If it was me...

I'd probably buy a complete, well-presenting, Detective Comics #33 or Detective Comics #38.

Both of which are both under-valued and under-appreciated at the moment (IMO); but are of monumental importance nevertheless.

It would be tough to choose between a well-presenting low-grade universal of either two, or a high-grade PLOD.

However, if a Batman #1 PLOD were available within that price range, I could almost guarantee that would be my first choice.

(thumbs u

Personally, if I was buying I would get a restored real key (not something that is key because the cover is cool, but something that actually has significance) or a lower grade unrestored key.

(but then again I don't have that much and probably never will)

An extensive repaired 3.0 Bats looks like the ceiling for the price range. So you are correct about choice.

I guess I would have a hard time passing on a nice CDNP#24 if I got another shot at one.

Great suggestions going around...hard to go wrong with any of those! :applause:

When I think of a Grail purchase, I would want one 'check all the boxes' trophy book that has 'WOW' factor for fellow collectors and non-collectors alike. Also, with a grail purchase, you often have to significantly reduce purchases for a while... So, its best to get a book with some 'bonus miles' to keep your enjoyment up during the next few months. hm

I guess my choice would a restored Captain America #1....it's a Timely (always in demand , rarer than DCs, solid investment), a #1 issue from the dawn of the Marvel Age, its among the Top 20 most valuable GA books, a first appearance of a major character, and a classic cover punching out Hitler with significant historical appeal (picture truly worth a thousand words). Cap trails only Superman and Batman for popularity aMong GA heroes and is arguably Marvel's premier GA character so folks outside the hobby will be impressed. Finally, Cap will be lighting up the big screen soon with blockbuster films as "The First Avenger".

Makes me regret selling mine :sorry: but if a nice restored CGC 4.0 can be had for under $7k that would be an awesome Grail!

Bust of luck with whatever you decide...

I'd take a Captain America #1, a Tec 33, Marvel 9 or an 8(could get a pretty 8), or just a personal choice, Jumbo 1.

Maybe a More Fun 73, Archie 1, or a hi-grade copy of some key E.C., like a Crypt 17 or Mad 1. The E.C.s are probably not great short-term investments, just comics I love.

I saw bat 1 plod, mentioned a bunch of times...I haven't seen any copies under 10K in a while (at least not collectible copies)

I'm curious, where do you draw the line to the point in which a copy of Batman #1 is no longer a "collectible" copy?

Gator is an elitist. :baiting:

When I think of a Grail purchase, I would want one 'check all the boxes' trophy book that has 'WOW' factor for fellow collectors and non-collectors alike. Also, with a grail purchase, you often have to significantly reduce purchases for a while... So, its best to get a book with some 'bonus miles' to keep your enjoyment up during the next few months. hm

I guess my choice would a restored Captain America #1....it's a Timely (always in demand , rarer than DCs, solid investment), a #1 issue from the dawn of the Marvel Age, its among the Top 20 most valuable GA books, a first appearance of a major character, and a classic cover punching out Hitler with significant historical appeal (picture truly worth a thousand words). Cap trails only Superman and Batman for popularity aMong GA heroes and is arguably Marvel's premier GA character so folks outside the hobby will be impressed. Finally, Cap will be lighting up the big screen soon with blockbuster films as "The First Avenger".

Makes me regret selling mine :sorry: but if a nice restored CGC 4.0 can be had for under $7k that would be an awesome Grail!

You forgot something in your write-up :baiting: I think he fights a villain in this issue as well, who was it hm

You forgot something in your write-up :baiting: I think he fights a villain in this issue as well, who was it hm

Megamind? Oh, you mean Red Skull! :headbang:

I saw bat 1 plod, mentioned a bunch of times...I haven't seen any copies under 10K in a while (at least not collectible copies)

I'm curious, where do you draw the line to the point in which a copy of Batman #1 is no longer a "collectible" copy?

to me, being old school overstreet, I use "their" definition...incomplete or less than 1.0/fr is not "collectible" (to me...to each his own) (thumbs u

Gator is an elitist. :baiting:

:acclaim: