• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

comicconnect grading

29 posts in this topic

Was putting down some bids and saw more than a few books that made me :think:.

I'm no expert, so maybe you can be my sanity check.

Is this really an 8.0?

Stain on front cover. Tear on top spine FC. Tear on back cover edge.

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=355183&enlarge=1

Haven't done much business with comicconnect in the past.. is over-grading standard practice over there?

This is basically Metropolis comics. Expect them to be over-graded by.5 to 1 on most books, compared to CGC. These are the comments I have seen on the boards, not my own. Also this book might be a bad example if using CGC standards as they hammer stains.

This is basically Metropolis comics. Expect them to be over-graded by.5 to 1 on most books, compared to CGC. These are the comments I have seen on the boards, not my own. Also this book might be a bad example if using CGC standards as they hammer stains.

I agree with this assessment. Metro's grading is a bit looser than CGC's.

ComicConnect also accepts consignments. I've seen some listings as "grade verified by ComicConnect". The implication to me is that there are some books that are graded by the owners of the books and not necessarily by ComicConnect themselves. YMMV

...and I don't think anybody is as hard on stains as CGC

Thanks for the feedback.

I bought a bunch of Dell file copies from Metropolis. Gorgeous high-grade books, but many have severe tanning on the edges of the inside covers -- typical of the Dell file copies, I have found through other sellers. I know CGC would grade them down because of this.. but just about everyone else continues to grade them NM. *shrug*

I did notice that that Ace wasn't a 'verified' grade.. still looks overgraded a point just from the scans.

Was putting down some bids and saw more than a few books that made me :think:.

I'm no expert, so maybe you can be my sanity check.

Is this really an 8.0?

Stain on front cover. Tear on top spine FC. Tear on back cover edge.

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=355183&enlarge=1

Haven't done much business with comicconnect in the past.. is over-grading standard practice over there?

It's Investment Grade..........Click to Inquire.

104185.gif.97075e0e66855679de711123a15b5704.gif

You will get many many opinions on Metro. They created the 10 point grading scale cgc uses. They are typically known as over graders, not so much when buying books though. Nearmint bought a 6.0 got a 6.0 from cgc. Comicgrinder bought a raw 9.2 got a 7.5 from cgc. If you can grade, and know the market value of what you are buying you will be fine.

so if it is here on the boards it must be true right? so if i say pigs fly it MUST be true because you read it here,

lets get something straight, metro DID NOT INVENT THE TEN POINT SYSTEM OVERSTREET USES. it was done as a group at the OVERSTREET ADVISOR MEETING AND ALL ADVISORS ( including me) HAD INPUT. IT WAS A GROUP EFFORT. please stop repeating this bull hockey. Cripes.

as for their overgrading ..i have heard that alot but i have no direct knowledge as i will not deal with someone with their poor reputation for fairness and honesty,

so if it is here on the boards it must be true right? so if i say pigs fly it MUST be true because you read it here,

lets get something straight, metro DID NOT INVENT THE TEN POINT SYSTEM OVERSTREET USES. it was done as a group at the OVERSTREET ADVISOR MEETING AND ALL ADVISORS ( including me) HAD INPUT. IT WAS A GROUP EFFORT. please stop repeating this bull hockey. Cripes.

Hockeyboy speaks the truth. Metro actually used a 40 pt. scale prior to CGC. CGC used their input, along with that of many others, to come up with the current system.

Hockeyboy speaks the truth. Metro actually used a 40 pt. scale prior to CGC. CGC used their input, along with that of many others, to come up with the current system.

Where does the first edition Overstreet Grading Guide fit into this timeline?

Early-ish 90's, right? And wasn't it a 100-point scale? I seem to remember that being fairly controversial, and not gaining much traction at that time.

There are a few paragraphs on pg.1053 of the current Overstreet guide. Mentions stuff like "championed" and how it would be hard to imagine it coming about without his "drive".

Where does the first edition Overstreet Grading Guide fit into this timeline?

Early-ish 90's, right? And wasn't it a 100-point scale? I seem to remember that being fairly controversial, and not gaining much traction at that time.

I believe the 100 pt. scale was used by the grading committees put together by the AACC for Sothebys and Christies.

I have a memory of Metro putting a full-page ad in CBG announcing the new 10-point grading scale sometime during the year before CGC opened its doors. Whether they came up with the scale on their own, or as part of a committee, I don't know.

as for their overgrading ..i have heard that alot but i have no direct knowledge as i will not deal with someone with their poor reputation for fairness and honesty,

He Shoots.....He Scores!!!!!!!!!

Hockey_Light.gif