• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Graded GA Archie Comics in Short Supply

424 posts in this topic

Action #1 = Superman on the cover.

Detective #27 = Batman on the cover.

AF #15 = Spiderman on the cover.

Pep #22 = No Archie on the cover.

In a CGC-driven world, cover art reigns supreme.

I would have to agree with this, CGC-driven or not. It may seem odd in the collectors world, but I think it makes sense in terms of the character and titles involved.

Archie#1 is probably considered the holy grail for investors / collectors and Archie fans - reinforced by the media and the $167K spent on the 8.5 copy!

Pep#22 is the first appearance, and there may be less copies but I don't think it has the same demand or allure as the Archie#1. In the pop culture world of Archie (especially outside of comics), most people would think in terms of his first issue of his looooong running series, which still going strong today. They cherish the first issue and title completely devoted to him. He's not on the cover of Pep and he's intermingled with other characters that very few people are familiar with.

Action #1 = Superman on the cover.

Detective #27 = Batman on the cover.

AF #15 = Spiderman on the cover.

Pep #22 = No Archie on the cover.

In a CGC-driven world, cover art reigns supreme.

Well said BlueTornado..... you hit the nail on the head.

Although Strange Tales 110 doesn't have Dr Strange on the cover, but it is the most expensive Dr Strange. Speaking of which.... what's the 1st cover appearance of Dr Strange? I'll bet it's on a FF crossover or some other crossover before it was even in Strange tales

One more thing...Archie 1 has such a great cover, but wasn't Jackpot 4 the 1st cover appearance?

My guess is it's only a matter of time before jackpot 4 starts a significant upward trend as well.

Since you are an Archie expert, is Jackpot #4 in much more plentiful supply as compared to Archie #1 and Pep #22? hm

I see more Archie 1s than Jackpot 4s (which may just reflect relative value rather than scarcity). I think Pep 22 is by far the toughest of the three to find or afford.

Archie#1 is probably considered the holy grail for investors / collectors and Archie fans - reinforced by the media and the $167K spent on the 8.5 copy!

I can't speak for investors, but I'm reasonably sure that Pep 22 is the holy grail of most Archie collectors.

In my experience Pep 22 sells for more in comparable grades than Archie 1.

Depending on the premium for page quality, market value of Pep #22 likely runs a bit more than 1.5x that of Archie #1, based on the CGC 5.0 sales by ComicConnect in late 2010 - Pep #22 COW = $50,000 / Archie #1 OWW = $34,000. For this Archie collector, though, Archie #1 is number one...

I can't speak for investors, but I'm reasonably sure that Pep 22 is the holy grail of most Archie collectors.

In my experience Pep 22 sells for more in comparable grades than Archie 1.

I have a LAUGH COMIC #20 that I bought in '46 that I never thought of having graded...

the condition should be in the 4.5 to 5.0 area...maybe a little higher on a good day.

Does this fit into the collectible group for Archie?

mm

I have a LAUGH COMIC #20 that I bought in '46 that I never thought of having graded...

the condition should be in the 4.5 to 5.0 area...maybe a little higher on a good day.

Does this fit into the collectible group for Archie?

mm

This is probably a $200+ book. You should have no trouble finding a buyer.

.As folks have said this book has been on a tear over the past 2 years, as well as the past forever. It's just not available in any grade, graded or raw. Owners of this and Pep 22 here on the boards and else where put this on the "I'll keep it 'til I die" pile so even crazy money isn't loosening the grip.

Yes, both Archie 1 and Pep 22 have left the dock and set sail several years ago and are probably out of the reach of virtually all collectors by now. Cheap seats are still available on the Jackpot 4 which might be a safer bet at this point in time, relative to the price point on the other 2 books. hm

The Jackpot 4 has definitely missed the fanfare which both Archie 1 and pep 22 was able to revel in. (shrug)

We've managed to keep secret the importance of Jackpot 4 so that it's still affordable. As long as we don't tell anybody else or post this on the web where it can be googled we'll be safe. :wishluck:

.As folks have said this book has been on a tear over the past 2 years, as well as the past forever. It's just not available in any grade, graded or raw. Owners of this and Pep 22 here on the boards and else where put this on the "I'll keep it 'til I die" pile so even crazy money isn't loosening the grip.

Yes, both Archie 1 and Pep 22 have left the dock and set sail several years ago and are probably out of the reach of virtually all collectors by now. Cheap seats are still available on the Jackpot 4 which might be a safer bet at this point in time, relative to the price point on the other 2 books. hm

The Jackpot 4 has definitely missed the fanfare which both Archie 1 and pep 22 was able to revel in. (shrug)

We've managed to keep secret the importance of Jackpot 4 so that it's still affordable. As long as we don't tell anybody else or post this on the web where it can be googled we'll be safe. :wishluck:

I think Jackpot 4 is a terrible book.

It only has shot to the head, bloody splash page.

A dark torture, murder mystery story.

A haunted, psychotic painter gone mad feature.

And some goofy piece about a kid named Archie directing a play, with a shot of Betty in a quasi bondage rump pose.

Yup, it isn't worth picking up even at a cheap price, imho.

There, did that help?

I am a big fan of Bob Montana and now that I am getting into CGC books i expected to find a lot of the issues with his covers (#41,#48 and #50 to name a few) but there are relatively few copies in the census and those that are graded seem to be mostly MID grade books. In digging a bit more I find that some of these books (especially #50) are just plain hard to come by in any condition slabbed OR raw! Archie comics were among the top selling books in the late 40's and early 50's. I wonder why solid grade copies of this book between #41 and #50 are in such short supply?

Since when are any highly graded Archies plentiful?

The only highly graded comics that are in plentiful supply are Silver Age Marvels and more modern superhero comics.

:makepoint:

Just checked Metropolis...they show a raw LAUGH #20 at a 3.0 for $350.00...mine is in much

better shape with no writing on the cover...maybe mine would do better than a 5.0.

mm

We all know that Pep 22 and Archie 1 sells for silly multiples to guide for all condition grades across the board.

Does this same phenomeon exist for Jackpot 4 or only for HG copies? Or is the Jackpot run seen as a lower demand 2nd tier title that doesn't really sell for guide? ???

The Archie Jackpots seem to go a bit over guide, but not like some of the early Archies and Peps. Jackpot 4 is a double guide or so book. Jackpot 5-7 are in the 1.5X ballpark. 8 and 9 are less sought after (due to the wretched covers I would guess).