• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Speculating on Moderns that are going to heat up BEFORE they ship THIS week.

591 posts in this topic

I'm going to post a new thread every week to chat about speculating on modern comics. I will post the verified shiplist weekly as a service to you. Trash this one, I'll start fresh next Tuesday.

As always your spelling & punctuation corrections are appreciated.

Half the fans on this board want to buy books from me.

Half believe my ulterior motive is sales.

To keep it cut and dry, I do NOT sell on CGC.

I am NOT posting to sell you the comics I pick. I am just telling you what I plan on buying extras of and why. i want to see what you think. I have a comic book store, a website, I run comic book shows, I set up at comic book shows, I sell on E-bay.I wholesale to other stores. I have as many outlets to move product as possible.

Read my pick and take account of your own situation. Where do YOU sell? Are you a show dealer, E-bay, ect? I NEVER get the crazy prices books go for on Ebay in any other venue, so I assume thats most folks outlet.For short term gain you simply can't beat ebay.

Last weeks pick Skull Kickers #1 is at least a short term monster.Fans seem interested, wether or not this is due to hype will become known shortly. Current market is $7-$15 ea cover. ( congrats to Jim Zubkavich who is getting married in a couple weeks ) The Skullkickers creative team will be up to my shop in October. I also ordered extra Hulk #25's that are selling great at cover.

I posted in the other thread that I love Action Comics #893 this week. I think that Chloe Sullivan could be a "civilian" draw to the direct market. Anytime a comic book appeals to another group of collectors/fans my radar goes up. I love new customers.

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2010/09/21/smallville-chloe-sullivan-comic-book-action-comics-893/

I bought an extra 50.

action+893.jpg

Here is my pick of the week

The Stuff of Legend : The Jungle #2

Third World Studios

Writer(s)

Mike Raicht

Brian Smith

Penciler(s)

Charles Paul Wilson III

Colorist(s)

Michael DeVito

Jon Conkling

As World War II rages in the real world, an unseen battle for a young boy's soul takes place in a shadowy realm known as The Dark. Kidnapped by The Boogeyman, a group of loyal toys continues their quest to rescue their master. But uncertain of where to turn to next, and hunted by The Boogeyman's forces, the group seeks shelter in the township of Hopscotch. Will the kind people there provide clues to the location of the boy or is there a sinister game afoot?

http://www.th3rdworld.com/book/The-Stuff-of-Legend

4841251425_284c2bcda2.jpg

#1 Landmark / Key issue? (Is there something important happening?) Nope ( no point)

#2 Regional interest (Are there ANY factors that could cause an uptick in local sales?) Yes, my shop has hosted the creative team several times and has a rabid following. The company will also be set up at NYCC ( point)

#3 Writer/writing: (Is the writing a cause to purchase, is there an existing fanbase, or could one be developed?) The first series made the New York Times best selling graphic novel list, athough IMHO this comic is definately all about the art. The story is ok. I do know that Third World is ultimately marketing theese books to be to be a CGI animated movie. ( point)

#4 Press(Has there been press or "buzz", have customers been asking?) Third Worlds FCBD marketing is second to none. There has been no buzz.

( no point)

#5 Artist / Art:(Is the artwork a cause to purchase, is there an existing fanbase, or could one be developed?) Charles Paul Wilson III is one of the most unique artists to come out of the Kubert school. I think he has a big future in the comic book industry. I love his style. The art in my opinion is what sells this book. I also believe that his career has just begun, this guy is going to blow up. Charles is THE reason I have invested in theese comics.

http://cpwilsoniii.deviantart.com/

( point )

#6 Availibility / Exposure: (Is the publisher mainstream or indy?, any promotional efforts? Is it in stock at Diamond? Is it currently available for shops to re-order?) It is not a book published by the big two. It is an obscure indy with an odd format that alot of shops simply do not order.

( point )

#7 Is there any ordering incentive/variant(s)? No ( no point )

#8 Dual Collectible?(Is there an existing fan base outside of traditional comic collectors?) NO

( no point )

#9 Competitor Interest? From what I have been told in my area, very few shops seem to stock this book. It has been very hard to find in my neck of the woods. After FCBD a fan from Vermont drove 100+ miles to get a copy of a Stuff of Legend comic I had in stock. In this case

( point )

#10 Projected Print Run? I am not privy to numbers, but I was told by the publisher that this was the lowest print run regular issue of Stuff of Legend to date. There lies the great appeal to me. I want to order extra's of the book everyone is going to eventually need. I have done really well in the past with #2's that are hard to find.

( point)

#11 Is it a Number one? No ( point )

Is 6 of 11 criteria enough for me to part with my beloved coin by ordering more than I need for my shelf in a 90 day period? You bet. It's a low print run, obscure indy with a bright future.

When to Sell: You are going to have to hold this for a while to make some money. It is not the type of comic that is going to make you money this week. When #4 ships, in the month before the trade this book should be sought after.

Larry Doherty

Larry's Wonderful, Wonderful World of Comics n such.

978-459-5323

larryscomicsinc@aol.com

http://larryscomics.net

http://facebook.com/larryscomics

http://twitter.com/larryscomics

I'd be buying that anyway and, yes, despite S.O.L. #1 being a good after market success it still seems that shops have ignored it. I think my main shop had 1 on the rack for the subsequent issues. perhaps because #1 actually lingered on their rack for a couple of weeks (primarily because the 2 copies I left along had a slight ding each). thanks for reminding me, I'll ask them to put it aside for me. I'm buying it to read it, although maybe if they have 2 I'll buy an extra.

and larry, the world isn't 50/50, black/white, for us/against us...there are always shades of gray in between

as for the action comics...I'll think about it. i think the fact that this character has been in numerous issues of the smallville comic kindah makes this less of a big deal?

is there any continuity between smallville and the rest of the DC universe?

Thanks for your sage advice on the world.

>>as for the action comics...I'll think about it. i think the fact that this character has been in numerous issues of the smallville comic kindah makes this less of a big deal?<<<

No, NO, NO!

Thats the Smallville universe Chloe Sullivan. DC is introducing the regular DCU Chloe Sullivan in Action. It is the first time a TV character has made the transition to the DCU. Supermans origin had to be tweaked to accomidate this. That's why its news.

Larry Doherty

978-459-5323

larryscomicsinc@aol.com

So how do we measure the success of your picks? Selling at cover in your store? Selling above cover on Ebay?

For the record, I think that Action book has very little short term and practically no long term potential. By that I mean you might get an uptick in sales at your shop, but I see no significant backissue value here after about 30 days.

>>So how do we measure the success of your picks? Selling at cover in your store? Selling above cover on Ebay?<<

Your fairly bright.

Read the intro.

It's what "I" buy.

Not what you SHOULD buy.

I'm interested in hearing what others would buy for themselves and why.

Use the info to your needs. or not.

Ratchet & clank, fail.

Morning Glories, win

Skillkickers, win

Hulk, win

Larry

SOL is a great book, but no back issue sales future especially an issue #4 (in continuity) You can probably sell them at cover or for $5 all day at your store, but the book won't go up on the secondary market as its not mainstream. Not enough people know about it.

I will be picking up Action as I think Chloe is a great character. Even though I'm not into women as comickings said, I named my daughter Chloe. Will it have secondary market pizazz? Maybe at first but unless there's a cool variant, it's a $8-10 book max for the short term.

Hard to pick winners every week when the pickings are slim.

Secondary Market Tally:

Ratchet & clank, fail.

Morning Glories, win

Skullkickers, win

Hulk, fail

Love that Finch cover...great ape there.

SOL is a gorgeous book to look at and read. CPW never fails.

I think it would have helped the sales of the books to break these volumes into 2 or 3 issues and have them come out more regularly. With attention spans as short as they are these days people tend to forget about these great books with 4-6 month breaks in between issues.

>>SOL is a great book<<

Agreed.

>>You can probably sell them at cover or for $5 all day at your store<<

I can. And at shows.

>>but the book won't go up on the secondary markeT<<

In your opinion, I respectfully disagree

>>as its not mainstream. Not enough people know about it.<<

That's my entire point. I know it's good. I'm buying.

>>I will be picking up Action as I think Chloe is a great character. it's a $8-10 book max for the short term.<<

Completely agree. NYCC will be the books peak, or it will sell just fine at cover.

>>Hard to pick winners every week when the pickings are slim<<

try doing it for 22 years. a winner for me can be a book that outsells the previous month. Hulk sales this week allready at 1.25 x normal. I consider that a W. The video game crowd never came a calling for Ratchett and Clank like I thought they would. Big fail.

>>Secondary Market Tally:

Ratchet & clank, fail.

Morning Glories, win

Skullkickers, win

Hulk, fail <<

keep that type of score if it makes you feel better about yourself.

that type of score would be valid in the

Speculating on Moderns that are going to always go up in price thread

Larry Doherty

978-459-5323

larryscomicsinc@aol.com

a winner for me can be a book that outsells the previous month. Hulk sales this week allready at 1.25 x normal. I consider that a W.

So I guess the answer to my question, since you never actually answered it, is that you consider it a successful pick if you sell more of a title than you did last month? Seems like a pretty low bar.

Let me ask it a different way. Is this thread intended for B&M retailers and guiding them to books will sell well at cover? Or is it intended for people who can buy at no greater than a small % discount off cover, who really have to hope the book hits $8-10 or more?

So what do you mean by "Moderns that are going to heat up"?

>>Secondary Market Tally:

Ratchet & clank, fail.

Morning Glories, win

Skullkickers, win

Hulk, fail <<

keep that type of score if it makes you feel better about yourself.

that type of score would be valid in the

Speculating on Moderns that are going to always go up in price thread

You posted the score first Larry and asked for opinions. Once again someone doesn't agree with you and your feelings get hurt. Seems you can't get over being petty.

>>Let me ask it a different way. Is this thread intended for B&M retailers and guiding them to books will sell well at cover?<<

No, its intended for anyone, comic book fans / shop owners that like to purchase extra copies of modern comics to capitalize on current market trends.

Not all shops buy extras every week. I would say I'm in the minority. I have friends that are addicted to maximizing their sell through weekly.

Since 1988 every week I like to buy a little extra. sometimes 10 copies, sometimes 1,000+ Of course I get burned time to time. I have had alot of success as well. It's also the part of this business that I love most. I love new books. I love how relevance can can change the back issue market

my situation is very different than yours I assume. You assume the same.

From your perspective , I would ask Why WOULD a shop would want extra copies of a book? Could that benefit me? Ratchett and Clank for example. You could have seen that a comic store owner was willing to blow a couple hundred dollars on the chance that the book was a dual collectable. Its a valid criteria in today's market. I made good money on Anita Blake, Dark Tower, Halo ( all not hot now)

From my perspective, I want to ferret out somthing I might have missed. What are collectors interested in? Why? What are other shops buying? Why? I can use other perspectives to focus my decision.. . I'm not going to taunt them, I'm going to see if my order is in line. I make my own decision. Example last week a guy mentioned Machete. Instead of berating him I tried to figure why he liked it. Horror movie tie in. Existing fanbase. I looked up my numbers. It was low. I looked up my sales data on a comparable book Hack Slash. I increased my Machete order to match current horror series sales.

>>Or is it intended for people who can buy at no greater than a small % discount off cover, who really have to hope the book hits $8-10 or more?<<

Everyone's situation is different. Every book is different.

>>So what do you mean by "Moderns that are going to heat up"?<<

current comic books that I think are going to trend upward, and Why I think I can capitalize on them. The key word being "I" Respectful debate would benefit any interested parties.

>>You posted the score first Larry<<

In response to a taunt.

Larry

Example last week a guy mentioned Machete. Instead of berating him I tried to figure why he liked it. Horror movie tie in. Existing fanbase. I looked up my numbers. It was low. I looked up my sales data on a comparable book Hack Slash. I increased my Machete order to match current horror series sales.

How did it sell? It's in my pull, just curious.

This week, I’m going to pick-up 1 copy of the Action 893 Variant. I agree with Larry's take and I actually think it has a long term appeal. This depends on how active the character is in future story lines. If she's involved as say, Lois or even Jimmy Olsen, then there will be interest in this book. However, I don’t expect to flip it. It's a book to put in my collection and let it sit there for about 10 or so years.

I love SOL. I picked up about 5 copies when the first issue hit. I've just been reading the following issues and not investing in them. The first print seems to only sell for $10 and has been dropping in value since it came out. I don't see this book being a highly sought after collectible. However, I hope I’m wrong.

So, really all I'm picking up are those 2. That's it for this week. I'm looking forward to Oct. when Kick 2 (10/6?) and Superior #1 (10/13) come out. I think those are the hot books for October. http://marvel.com/catalog/?id=16677, I've read that Kick 2 has been running the first part of the sequel in August and September's CLINT magazine. If that's true, and the 2nd series does really well, then those could be big. Can anyone confirm if these are just previews of the upcoming issues?

>>The first print seems to only sell for $10 and has been dropping in value since it came out. I don't see this book being a highly sought after collectible<<

When it first hit it was smoking hot for about 4 months. Everybody missed it.

The book has fallen of most collectors radar because of its schedule. Comic collectors have a fierce what have you done for me lately mentality.

My dream scenario long term :

after S.O.L. Charles gets hired by vertigo where he works for decades.

S.O.L. gets made into a CGI movie that spawns a franchise.

I bought alot of Superior. heard through the grapevine there is an exclusive regional retailer variant ( not mine)

Larry

Wouldn't it be good to post your picks here at the time the orders are due? So that boardies can make sure to get a copy by having their LCS order it? The only problem I see with the thread so far is that if a book is going to be "hot" then many LCS may not have it.