• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Speculating on Moderns that are going to heat up BEFORE they ship THIS week.

591 posts in this topic

>>and most of what he has pointed out has done zilch in the ebay aftermarket anyway<<

This thread is only a few months old & I make a pick every week. ( there is not a market darling every week ) What market opportunity have I overlooked?

Curious.

I haven't read Pirate's posts but i notice the number.I pm'd him sugguesting he was a stalker. His character speaks volumes. He pm'd me back then deleted it.

Larry

deleted what? How do you even know I was posting about you if you had me on ignore? Stupid arse.

They have their own reasons for buying. Speculation tells them 'it's WORTH it.'

See, I find it hard to believe that anyone pays $27.99 for a $4.99 comic that is negative 3 days old unless they feel it is going to be WORTH something. That feeling comes from speculation.

That's up to them to decide. They have the right to do that. If they're inclined to speculate, so be it. They may lose, they may win. If they lose and become disenfranchised with the medium, they probably weren't exactly going to be factors in the long term health of the hobby.

If you're saying you've never bought anything that you later regretted paying more for than you should have, I congratulate you as the first person in comics I've ever spoken with that could claim that.

However, speculation devaules the MARKET. Period.

Already seen it happen in comics as well as other markets.

My lack of regret is tethered to the fact I bought for personal enjoyment, based on personal valuation. I should probably temper my statement and say that yes, there are times I've wished I'd waited to buy, but not having a crystal ball will do that sometimes.

I don't love the bolded statement - speaking in absolutes is an almost surefire way to be wrong.

See, I find it hard to believe that anyone pays $27.99 for a $4.99 comic that is negative 3 days old unless they feel it is going to be WORTH something. That feeling comes from speculation.

That's up to them to decide. They have the right to do that. If they're inclined to speculate, so be it. They may lose, they may win. If they lose and become disenfranchised with the medium, they probably weren't exactly going to be factors in the long term health of the hobby.

They may make up their own mind, but speculation is influencing them.

And in the long run, 99% of the time, that speculation will be wrong. And the people pushing the speculation KNOW, in the long run, 99% of the time, it will be wrong.

If you're saying you've never bought anything that you later regretted paying more for than you should have, I congratulate you as the first person in comics I've ever spoken with that could claim that.

My lack of regret is tethered to the fact I bought for personal enjoyment, based on personal valuation. I should probably temper my statement and say that yes, there are times I've wished I'd waited to buy, but not having a crystal ball will do that sometimes.

I don't love the bolded statement - speaking in absolutes is an almost surefire way to be wrong.

If buying based on speculation that turns out to be wrong 99% of the time can do anything but devalue what it is that you're buying and selling; I'd like to see the model of where that works out.

two words .... or numbers...... 27. that book is going to blow up. its on ebay its going for 20-35 a book and its not even out till next wed. thats pre-sale.

Looks to me like shilling from heII

Nah, this ones not a shill,

Larry already gave this guy grief on his 1st post.

It was a real WTTB from Larry

Bazzle "ehh I dont think so this interview with comicbookresources.com stated he wanted to do a all ages comic. Doesnt sound like Dracula. "

Larry ">>ehh I dont think so this interview with comicbookresources.com stated he wanted to do a all ages comic. Doesnt sound like Dracula<<

ehh, the teaser ad is for his unnamed all ages comic on the inside back cover. It looks fun as hell.

ehh, Dracula appears for the first time in the issue.

http://c0013549.cdn1.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/x2_36d9b9d

ehh, on the letter pages regarding Dracula Kirkman says stay tuned, implying more is coming.

ehh, that's TWO new Kirkman properties appearing in this issue.

ehh, I'll take it.

ehh,

The ignore function is to die for, so far on my list : pirate, songsaboutclouds

this thread actually reads better this way.

I reccomend it to you all.

Larry Doherty

Larry's Wonderful, Wonderful World of Comics n such.

978-459-5323

larryscomicsinc@aol.com"

>>and most of what he has pointed out has done zilch in the ebay aftermarket anyway<<

This thread is only a few months old & I make a pick every week. ( there is not a market darling every week ) What market opportunity have I overlooked?

Curious.

I haven't read Pirate's posts but i notice the number.I pm'd him sugguesting he was a stalker. His character speaks volumes. He pm'd me back then deleted it.

Larry

well, i'm giving you credit for the old (deleted) thread too. i'm not saying you missed anything that did well (you might have, but i don't know what it is), but you've picked a lot of stuff and only one of them really did much in the aftermarket and a lot of folks were all over that one too. relax!

They may make up their own mind, but speculation is influencing them.

And in the long run, 99% of the time, that speculation will be wrong. And the people pushing the speculation KNOW, in the long run, 99% of the time, it will be wrong..

Doesn't change my above argument. People are free to choose. It's not up to you or anyone to dictate to them what the 'right way' to buy or enjoy the hobby is. Speculation is part of every market where value is attached to a product or commodity.

If buying based on speculation that turns out to be wrong 99% of the time can do anything but devalue what it is that you're buying and selling; I'd like to see the model of where that works out.

Sure. Speculating in comics has been going on at least since the late 60s - I'm not seeing the 99% failure rate. Extrapolate that to the 'other markets' you mention, and the 99% figure is simply incorrect.

You're afraid of devaluation? Do what I do. Buy one copy of books you want to read, to own, to enjoy. View the cost as the price of the entertainment.

Ok..... the Speculating 90's crash debate is getting tiresome. Clearly both sides of the argument are not going to win over the other. Can't we just say that there are great points on both sides (which there are)? I enjoy reading all the speculations and find all very helpful. There are several I agree and disagree with, so I take in the suggestions and buy what I feel comfortable with. I can't fault the argument as this (I guess) is a good enough forum for it as any... I just feel that it's been beaten to death. Wasn't the last speculation thread banned and shut down because of this fact. I can't even fault those for finger pointing and getting pissed off, but I find myself zooming past it all to find something interesting and then find the debate still littering in between. Please... we got it. It's gotten to the point where you have to surf through 3 pages of the SAME argument just to find one new speculation. So, yes, the comparisons to the 90's and all other related debates have been read, processed and understood. This is so on the verge of going to same route as the last thread, and that would be disappointing.

RMA, do you buy any new books?

ARE YOU KIDDING?? Even though he's made fortunes from selling comic books,Caspers pappy is the type of guy that goes into a shop reads all the new books without buying anything.Greasy hair,food stains on his shirt,dirty fingernails,he's the most annoying person in the store,and no matter what you know or have done,he's done it better.There's one in every shop,just like on web chatboards.Although this site is overrun with'em.

35619_1447149950531_1586645207_30977875_1275820_n.jpg

ARE YOU KIDDING?? Even though he's made fortunes from selling comic books,Caspers pappy is the type of guy that goes into a shop reads all the new books without buying anything.Greasy hair,food stains on his shirt,dirty fingernails,he's the most annoying person in the store,and no matter what you know or have done,he's done it better.There's one in every shop,just like on web chatboards.Although this site is overrun with'em.

hmmm, i thought reading between the lines of some other folks' posts that RMA was a very neat and tidy type, not that there's anything wrong with that.

Okay guys this is going way too far. If you dont' agree with someone's personal views of what comics to speculate on, then don't post something rude about it.

This IS about speculating on new released comics. NOT how someone handles their comic book shop, or how one is better than another.

You guys are taking this way out of hand/context.

Here is a modern book I actually made money on this year, did I become a millionare with it? no but the profits I made from it bought me a Kindle for Christmas.

I bought these for under $11 on Barnes and Noble and at the height of the hysteria sold these in the mid $30`s on Amazon .

of course the market is lukewarm for it now(second print came out) which goes to show you got to know when to buy and flip. btw I read this book and enjoyed it and that was the main reason I had confidence in flipping it.

supermanearthone.jpg

so money can be made on some of these but not long term as was stated before. ;)

Okay guys this is going way too far. If you dont' agree with someone's personal views of what comics to speculate on, then don't post something rude about it.

This IS about speculating on new released comics. NOT how someone handles their comic book shop, or how one is better than another.

That's how the thread got derailed last time and Comic Kings got a vacation from the forum.

People have the right to pay for what they want, even if they're mislead into thinking it's a better deal than it really is?

-----------

who is misleading anyone here? if the book goes consistently for $25 on ebay the day of its release, is this a vast conspiracy? that's what folks were paying that day, no misleading. the print-run is what it is. there's a reason it was a $25 book then.

it's not quite like wizard back in the day pumping some book as the next item to make a 1000% profit on or whatever.

i dunno, i just don't think people should be treated like children. it doesn't take long to see that most hot moderns don't stick price-wise and that you may be buying at the peak. this isn't 1992 where people are betting their livelihoods on hot new books, playing the modern speculation game is like trying to win the lottery, but you only win $20 +/-.

if nothing else i see overordering of regular issues to get more variants as being a bigger problem, though i'm seeing less of that. i dunno why spending $20 on a SK 1 is so much worse than spending $20 on a 1:50 or 1:100 variant.

RMA, do you buy any new books? (I'm assuming chuck does.)

This is going on in the silver age also, people paying big money for Avengers #4 for the last few years in anticipation for the Cap and Avengers movie, so its everywhere in the comics field not just moderns. 2c

lol

Someone's got a cru-ush......

:luhv:

hmmm, i thought reading between the lines of some other folks' posts that RMA was a very neat and tidy type, not that there's anything wrong with that.

meh

If you're trying to imply that I'm gay, that would be a negative.

Take half of what you read here and toss it out as the trash it is. That goes double for the stuff "in between the lines."

(thumbs u

That's how the thread got derailed last time and Comic Kings got a vacation from the forum.

Yep. Chuck and I were being civil. No need for the ad hominem stuff.