• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Speculating on Moderns that are going to heat up BEFORE they ship THIS week.

591 posts in this topic

>>Wouldn't it be good to post your picks here at the time the orders are due? So that boardies can make sure to get a copy by having their LCS order it? The only problem I see with the thread so far is that if a book is going to be "hot" then many LCS may not have i<<

my order form is "fluid" I miss everything 10 weeks out. I keep my eyes open looking for patterns and trends.

as customers ask I add.

example: after I put in my initial order on Morning Glories ( not many ), I noticed it getting added to a bunch of subs. Customers wanted it. why? I googled it. The Writer was from Existence 2.0/3.0 a book I just enjoyed.

I loved the cover. Loved it. I saw early Gen-13 like potential. called Image & Inquired about a signing and variant. I ordered the most in the country result. My initial order was 3. I would have had nothing for you at that time.

as buzz builds I add.

If something declines I cut. Shops are allowed to decrease orders from a few publishers before books got to press. Final order cut-off

>>So that boardies can make sure to get a copy<<

If a pre buzz situation happens like last week with Skullkicker Stores can't get them either. My phone rang non stop last Wednesday with fans & dealers looking.

i disn't figure that one out until 3 weeks ago thanks to Rich Johnson's website Bleedingcool.com

Larry

totally agree on stuff of legends...if the book had actually been coming out every 1 or 2 months then I think the price on the #1s could sustain and creep up. i have almost lost interest and I'm not sure my LCS has even ordered a single copy for the rack this week. (I don't have a file because I only buy 2-5 new books a month and they want 10, so I leave a note asking them to yank a copy for me the day before new comic day)

this is what i don't get, these guys do a new series like this and they don't have 4 issues worth of material in the can already? why???? seriously, then they can see whether it's going to take off and they have 4 - 8 months to crank out some more material for issue 5, 6, etc.

Plus, if all the retailers know to order it ahead of time it'd kill the aftermarket. Everyone who wanted one would be able to get it.

Maybe publishers should troll these boards and set up a direct online purchase for 'breaking hot' books. If retailers are going to create an after market for these comics, I would think publishers would try and find a way to circumvent that for their own gain.

totally agree on stuff of legends...if the book had actually been coming out every 1 or 2 months then I think the price on the #1s could sustain and creep up. i have almost lost interest and I'm not sure my LCS has even ordered a single copy for the rack this week. (I don't have a file because I only buy 2-5 new books a month and they want 10, so I leave a note asking them to yank a copy for me the day before new comic day)

this is what i don't get, these guys do a new series like this and they don't have 4 issues worth of material in the can already? why???? seriously, then they can see whether it's going to take off and they have 4 - 8 months to crank out some more material for issue 5, 6, etc.

Wow. My LCS takes ANY size pull or preorder. That's a bummer.

Wow. My LCS takes ANY size pull or preorder. That's a bummer.

I suspect mine would for me if I asked them to as I spend a lot of money there on other stuff, but I really don't feel like filling out a form or feeling obligated to buy a book I asked for a month earlier. Unless it's something they just didn't order they will always put something aside for me if I ask. I just didn't ask a month ago about this because WHO THE HECK KNOWS when they'll but the SOL stuff out????

which is kindah the problem with the title, at least from a collector's perspective. powell had better watch out or folks will forget about Goon.

>>Wouldn't it be good to post your picks here at the time the orders are due? So that boardies can make sure to get a copy by having their LCS order it? The only problem I see with the thread so far is that if a book is going to be "hot" then many LCS may not have i<<

my order form is "fluid" I miss everything 10 weeks out. I keep my eyes open looking for patterns and trends.

as customers ask I add.

example: after I put in my initial order on Morning Glories ( not many ), I noticed it getting added to a bunch of subs. Customers wanted it. why? I googled it. The Writer was from Existence 2.0/3.0 a book I just enjoyed.

I loved the cover. Loved it. I saw early Gen-13 like potential. called Image & Inquired about a signing and variant. I ordered the most in the country result. My initial order was 3. I would have had nothing for you at that time.

as buzz builds I add.

If something declines I cut. Shops are allowed to decrease orders from a few publishers before books got to press. Final order cut-off

>>So that boardies can make sure to get a copy<<

If a pre buzz situation happens like last week with Skullkicker Stores can't get them either. My phone rang non stop last Wednesday with fans & dealers looking.

i disn't figure that one out until 3 weeks ago thanks to Rich Johnson's website Bleedingcool.com

Larry

Putting it in here pre-ordering is kind of going to mess with the whole process as some people may follow-suit and Larry's rationales may no longer be applicable when the print-run is 2X what was expected. then again it's hard to fathom a thread here having that sort of impact.

I can see the Action book being a short-term. But not long term.

Don't really see the draw for SOL #2. The schedule has killed it for many and they didn't have many under their belt. If the book goes for a long time, the low print run would help it.

I simply can't understand Skullkickers. Seems like there is so much speculation on new Image books because of past successes by the company (like WD, Invincible, Chew, etc). I'm interested to hear if the book was actually good, but one of the covers was awful (looked like a modern version of Liefeld).

Makes me wonder why more people don't throw that same money into known good books with small print runs. Books like Locke & Key #1.

Pat

>>simply can't understand Skullkickers. Seems like there is so much speculation on new Image books because of past successes by the company (like WD, Invincible, Chew, etc<<

Invincible, fans are speculating because it is good. real good.

Walking Dead, fans are speculating because it is good. real good

Chew, fans are speculating because it is good. real good.

Locke & Key. fans are speculating because it is good. real good

Fans look for a pattern

Who knows, the next 3 months will shake theese out.

Morning Glories has favorable reviews.

Skulkickers has favorable reviews as well.

Skullkickers is different because it was the ONLY one of theese that had enormous pre buzz. The rest got buzz after release.

Cream rises to the top.

Support your LCS by buying books from them. Not me. Them.

Respectfully

Larry Doherty

Larry's Wonderful, Wonderful World of Comics n such.

978-459-5323

larryscomicsinc@aol.com

http://larryscomics.net

http://facebook.com/larryscomics

http://twitter.com/larryscomics

banner-larrys.png

I'd say that Morning Glories got lots of buzz on the interwebs long before release. When the solicitations hit for the book, several comic sites did interviews (which isn't unusual) and several other fan-type sites hyped the book (which is a little more rare for an unknown). Neither of these might equal buzz, but the amount of pre-ordering date stuff online indicated it might be a winner.

To be honest, I'm surprised more people didn't order big on that book.

Ohhh,

you can add a last page Death appearance to Action's desirability.

Yep. Neil Gaiman's one of the endless Death.

DIDN'T see that bonus coming.

Support your LCS by buying books from them. Not me. Them.

Nemesis is more popular than Haunt.

Respectfully

Larry Doherty

978-459-5323

larryscomicsinc@aol.com

banner-larrys.png

"Pre-Release Buzz" = Hype, mostly spawned by publishers and not based on actually reading the comic.

"Post-Release Buzz" = Actual fan created, reading of the comic-based, excitement.

One will give you "Youngblood" and the other will give you "Walking Dead"

>>"Pre-Release Buzz" = Hype, mostly spawned by publishers and not based on actually reading the comic.

"Post-Release Buzz" = Actual fan created, reading of the comic-based, excitement.<<

Damn good point. I am going to revise my buzz criteria based on this. Thanks.

"Pre-Release Buzz" = Hype, mostly spawned by publishers and not based on actually reading the comic it allows in some cases for shops to get re-orders and fans to get more copies. Not all cases. ( it was case with morning glories, but that book was well recieved by fans )

"Post-Release Buzz" = Actual fan created, reading of the comic-based, excitement. results in sellouts due to word of mouth. shops can't get more, fans cant get more.

Respectfully

Larry Doherty

978-459-5323

larryscomicsinc@aol.com