• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Well you new this might happen, Star Wars 3D....

99 posts in this topic

Let's just wring every dollar that we can out of these movies! (said with tongue in cheek).

How about they come up with some good new movies based on the original characters? Not a reboot but more stories involving a new cast...something original...

The old movies in 3D will just look...well...old. They don't stand up anymore on the visual effects and I think this is a waste (but it will make money).

I agree that forcing 3-D on a movie that wasn't originally filmed in 3-D always dissapoints. But what visual effects in the Star Wars films don't hold up anymore? When done correctly, the special effects teams of yesteryears are much more impressive to me that most CGI shlock...

I agree. I prefer puppets and models to CG any day.

:roflmao:

unless you are being serious and then,,, :roflmao:

He's just milking something that is a culture for all it's worth. That I think is kind of pathetic. Certainly he doesn't need the cash and I don't think 3D is really going to enhance the movies anyway.

Turning the reigns over to someone else to take in a new direction would have great potential to make him a butt load of cash without having to dump all that cash into the same old films.

Episode III and Episode V are the two that really compete to be my favorite out of the six movies. I love Episode III and completely will take Jar Jar and whiney Anakin in order to get there.

+1

Episode III was one of the best. If you couldn't enjoy the incredible Mustafar lightsaber fight between Obi-Wan and Anakin, you've lost something along the way.

I have definitely lost something along the way then. I couldn't care less about those characters so the battle was meaningless to me. And then the ending? Obi Wan had the "high ground" and that is why he won? Seriously? It might have looked pretty for the first 1 or 2 minutes of the fight but then it got monotonous and the dialog just killed me.

The worst moment of any of the trilogies was in ROTS when the Emperor was defeated by Mace Windu and Anakin came to his rescue. It was the worst dialog ever. I actually felt embarrassed for the actors.

Let's just wring every dollar that we can out of these movies! (said with tongue in cheek).

How about they come up with some good new movies based on the original characters? Not a reboot but more stories involving a new cast...something original...

The old movies in 3D will just look...well...old. They don't stand up anymore on the visual effects and I think this is a waste (but it will make money).

I agree that forcing 3-D on a movie that wasn't originally filmed in 3-D always dissapoints. But what visual effects in the Star Wars films don't hold up anymore? When done correctly, the special effects teams of yesteryears are much more impressive to me that most CGI shlock...

I could kinda sorta agree with this but only because it would actually force story-telling. I mean, it seems like a lot of new movies have great special effects but forget to tell us a good story. Kinda like comics with great art and horrible writing.

But good cgi in a good movie can really make things "click". I look at Inception as a good example of good effects and a good story.

I am being serious. Imagine if Chewbacca was a CG character. I have never seen a CG character share the screen with people and not look about as convincing as Roger Rabbit. At least Muppets have texture. Same with explosions, fire, and pretty much any other CG effect. I'll skip a movie if it looks too CG heavy in the trailer. I'd much rather see that dog dragon in Never Ending Story than those ridiculous looking Transformers.

I am being serious. Imagine if Chewbacca was a CG character. I have never seen a CG character share the screen with people and not look about as convincing as Roger Rabbit. At least Muppets have texture. Same with explosions, fire, and pretty much any other CG effect. I'll skip a movie if it looks too CG heavy in the trailer. I'd much rather see that dog dragon in Never Ending Story than those ridiculous looking Transformers.

Falcor :headbang:

Turning the reigns over to someone else to take in a new direction

The Clone Wars CGI cartoon on cable has garnered many positive reviews. Lucas did not write that. I haven't watched any of the episodes myself, but one of my buddies absolutely loves it, and he's a SW purist like me.

The fact that he has a huge framed picture of Amidala & Manniken in his living room notwithstanding... :baiting: (he knows who he is)

Lucas used Joseph Campbell's "The Hero with 1000 Faces" to write the original trilogy, then promptly forgot the lessons he learned there when he wrote the prequels. It's no surprise that the best movie in the saga (Empire) is the one he had the least to do with. The youtube link Claudio posted is especially telling in regards to the writing of the prequels.

I don't think it's that black and white...that you have to LOVE one HATE the other, yet so many people seem to take one side or the other. I think both trilogies have their strengths and flaws.

I personally love all the films! and can't wait to take my kids to see them ion the big screen! I am a fan of all things Star Wars because it is a massive cultural icon that defined my generation. I'm also really digging the new Clone Wars animated series. It's great to see them have time to flesh out the characters and story between Episode II and III. Also, Lucas is very hands on with this show. All the major ideas are coming down from him.

Gollum :sumo:

I agree that forcing 3-D on a movie that wasn't originally filmed in 3-D always dissapoints. But what visual effects in the Star Wars films don't hold up anymore? When done correctly, the special effects teams of yesteryears are much more impressive to me thamost CGI shlock...

I have got to agree. Episodes 4 and 5 had, what I felt, to have the best effects. It just goes downhill from there with the Rancor monster just being horrible. The new films looked fine but I just say them as generic CGI movie #145029.

Also, please stop this POST production 3D crapola for movies!

Like one critic stated, "Watching Clash of the Titans in 3D was like watching the 2-D version through 2 feet of bong water!"

I'm skeptical of this as well, but if anyone can figure out how to do post-production 3D well, it would be LucasFilm. Is there another greater innovator in filmmaking technology than them in the entire history of film special effects? hm

He's just milking something that is a culture for all it's worth. That I think is kind of pathetic. Certainly he doesn't need the cash and I don't think 3D is really going to enhance the movies anyway.

Turning the reigns over to someone else to take in a new direction would have great potential to make him a butt load of cash without having to dump all that cash into the same old films.

I don't disagree, but he's also a filmmaking technology geek and has always been that way. This isn't surprising in the least; he did the exact same thing with the "special edition" versions of the original films a few decades ago. He's not the first author to want to continuously tinker with and refine his works--many historical writers and artists have as well--but it isn't a common thing. I find it interesting given that the vast majority of filmmakers don't want to revisit the creative process for a work they've already completed.

I have definitely lost something along the way then. I couldn't care less about those characters so the battle was meaningless to me. And then the ending? Obi Wan had the "high ground" and that is why he won? Seriously? It might have looked pretty for the first 1 or 2 minutes of the fight but then it got monotonous and the dialog just killed me.

The worst moment of any of the trilogies was in ROTS when the Emperor was defeated by Mace Windu and Anakin came to his rescue. It was the worst dialog ever. I actually felt embarrassed for the actors.

Obi-Wan didn't win simply because he was higher, he won because Anakin had to jump to get over there and he arrogantly thought he would have enough control to not get hit while making taking the predictable path up. I had no problem with it.

I don't disagree that Lucas's feel for actor direction or dialogue is seriously lacking. It was lacking hugely in Star Wars, which he and the entire cast knew, which is why he didn't direct the next two films. However, if you made this argument to the 10-year-old version of yourself, you'd have no idea what you were talking about. Selective myopia is a useful skill with a film like Episode III...those action sequences just blow away anything in the original three films. The Yoda/Emperor fight was incredible as well. :cloud9:

You had me until the Transformers. CGI is inferior for reproducing human or animal movement that we can relate to real organisms in our world because we're so used to what their natural movements and behaviors should look like, but it's great for reproducing something we have no real-world context for such as the giant robots of Transformers. The Transformers CGI was absolutely incredible, you're off your rocker. :screwy:

I would gladly take a Darth Revan movie or a Darth Bane movie.

Darth Bane

Darth Revan