• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Well you new this might happen, Star Wars 3D....

99 posts in this topic

Also, please stop this POST production 3D crapola for movies!

Like one critic stated, "Watching Clash of the Titans in 3D was like watching the 2-D version through 2 feet of bong water!"

I'm skeptical of this as well, but if anyone can figure out how to do post-production 3D well, it would be LucasFilm. Is there another greater innovator in filmmaking technology than them in the entire history of film special effects? hm

The opening space battle in 3D would be worth the price of admission to Episode III.

Let's just wring every dollar that we can out of these movies! (said with tongue in cheek).

How about they come up with some good new movies based on the original characters? Not a reboot but more stories involving a new cast...something original...

The old movies in 3D will just look...well...old. They don't stand up anymore on the visual effects and I think this is a waste (but it will make money).

I agree that forcing 3-D on a movie that wasn't originally filmed in 3-D always dissapoints. But what visual effects in the Star Wars films don't hold up anymore? When done correctly, the special effects teams of yesteryears are much more impressive to me that most CGI shlock...

I agree. I prefer puppets and models to CG any day.

:roflmao:

unless you are being serious and then,,, :roflmao:

I am being serious. Imagine if Chewbacca was a CG character. I have never seen a CG character share the screen with people and not look about as convincing as Roger Rabbit. At least Muppets have texture. Same with explosions, fire, and pretty much any other CG effect. I'll skip a movie if it looks too CG heavy in the trailer. I'd much rather see that dog dragon in Never Ending Story than those ridiculous looking Transformers.

You should watch DISTRICT 9

What they did with only 30 million bucks in that film is incredible. They had an easier job than most CGI characters because we have little frame of reference for what giant insects would move like other than that they should have preternaturally fast, angular movements, but they did a great job with it.

I was also impressed by the insect special effects in Starship Troopers. Horrible screenplay and acting, but MAN, that CGI was just totally rockin'. Up through the year it was released it may have had the most exciting and dynamic special effects ever put onto film.

I was 8 when the original Star Wars (now known as episode 4) hit the theaters. I still think it was the coolest movie I have ever seen, and I hate it every time Lucas changes anything about it. Having said that, I am still curious as hell to see how it will look in 3D.

I have definitely lost something along the way then. I couldn't care less about those characters so the battle was meaningless to me. And then the ending? Obi Wan had the "high ground" and that is why he won? Seriously? It might have looked pretty for the first 1 or 2 minutes of the fight but then it got monotonous and the dialog just killed me.

The worst moment of any of the trilogies was in ROTS when the Emperor was defeated by Mace Windu and Anakin came to his rescue. It was the worst dialog ever. I actually felt embarrassed for the actors.

Obi-Wan didn't win simply because he was higher, he won because Anakin had to jump to get over there and he arrogantly thought he would have enough control to not get hit while making taking the predictable path up. I had no problem with it.

I don't disagree that Lucas's feel for actor direction or dialogue is seriously lacking. It was lacking hugely in Star Wars, which he and the entire cast knew, which is why he didn't direct the next two films. However, if you made this argument to the 10-year-old version of yourself, you'd have no idea what you were talking about. Selective myopia is a useful skill with a film like Episode III...those action sequences just blow away anything in the original three films. The Yoda/Emperor fight was incredible as well. :cloud9:

Obi Wan says "You can't win. I have the higher ground." I think you are making excuses for the terrible writing.

I definitely think his dialog in the new trilogy was worse. I would agree that it was bad in Star Wars though. But I didn't care. I actually LIKED the characters. I mean, I remember playing with my friends and we would want to be Luke or Han or even Chewy... Who in the right minds wants to be whiney and murderous Anakin? Or bland and boring Obi Wan? The fact that there is something enjoyable about the original films helps me to overlook some of the bad writing (plus, the writing wasn't as atrocious as the prequels).

And i will even disagree with you that the action sequences blow away anything in the original trilogy. I used to watch the Luke and Vader duels nonstop. The tension in the fight scenes and the interaction of the characters was much more compelling. In ROTJ, Luke wasn't fighting just against Vader, he was fighting for his soul. In the prequels, it is like watching a street fighter video game. We already know that Obi Wan and Anakin will survive so there is no need to worry about them. If we cared about them, then it would be different.

Finally, I think some of the worse transgressions are how often the prequels contradict the original trilogies. It was horrible. Like Lucas forgot what he wrote previously. 1. Padme dies as she gives birth but Leia had told Luke that she had faint memories of her mother but she died when she was very young. 2. Obi Wan said Yoda was his master not Qui Gon. 3. C3PO was made by Anakin and R2 was always around but Obi Wan doesn't recognize him in Star Wars.

I know I am totally hating on the prequels but I really really do HATE them! :censored:

I definitely think his dialog in the new trilogy was worse. I would agree that it was bad in Star Wars though. But I didn't care. I actually LIKED the characters. I mean, I remember playing with my friends and we would want to be Luke or Han or even Chewy... Who in the right minds wants to be whiney and murderous Anakin? Or bland and boring Obi Wan? The fact that there is something enjoyable about the original films helps me to overlook some of the bad writing (plus, the writing wasn't as atrocious as the prequels).

And i will even disagree with you that the action sequences blow away anything in the original trilogy. I used to watch the Luke and Vader duels nonstop. The tension in the fight scenes and the interaction of the characters was much more compelling. In ROTJ, Luke wasn't fighting just against Vader, he was fighting for his soul. In the prequels, it is like watching a street fighter video game. We already know that Obi Wan and Anakin will survive so there is no need to worry about them. If we cared about them, then it would be different.

Finally, I think some of the worse transgressions are how often the prequels contradict the original trilogies. It was horrible. Like Lucas forgot what he wrote previously. 1. Padme dies as she gives birth but Leia had told Luke that she had faint memories of her mother but she died when she was very young. 2. Obi Wan said Yoda was his master not Qui Gon. 3. C3PO was made by Anakin and R2 was always around but Obi Wan doesn't recognize him in Star Wars.

I know I am totally hating on the prequels but I really really do HATE them! :censored:

Luke was twice as whiny as Anakin, and the original three films are jam-packed with flaws aside from the Empire Strikes Back. You hate the prequels mostly because like the rest of my fellow Star Wars fanbase from the 1970s/80s/90s, we've grown to become crusty old farts. :baiting:

Luke was twice as whiny as Anakin, and the original three films are jam-packed with flaws aside from the Empire Strikes Back. You hate the prequels mostly because like the rest of my fellow Star Wars fanbase from the 1970s/80s/90s, we've grown to become crusty old farts. :baiting:

I will admit to a lot being wrong with the original series but there is no way that Luke was as whiny as Anakin. Anakin complained about Obi Wan every chance he could. That was enough to make me hate him. He complained about the government, his mom, EVERYTHING!!! Then he killed ALL the Sand People. ALL OF THEM! No matter how much life sucked for Luke, he never committed GENOCIDE!!!! Not to mention the poor dead younglings. Poor Younglings.

I hate the prequels because they sucked harder than an industrial strength Bissel. Hate HATE HAAAATE!!!! See? Now they have turned me to the dark side. I guess I understand Anakin now.

Let's just wring every dollar that we can out of these movies! (said with tongue in cheek).

How about they come up with some good new movies based on the original characters? Not a reboot but more stories involving a new cast...something original...

The old movies in 3D will just look...well...old. They don't stand up anymore on the visual effects and I think this is a waste (but it will make money).

I agree that forcing 3-D on a movie that wasn't originally filmed in 3-D always dissapoints. But what visual effects in the Star Wars films don't hold up anymore? When done correctly, the special effects teams of yesteryears are much more impressive to me that most CGI shlock...

I am being serious. Imagine if Chewbacca was a CG character. I have never seen a CG character share the screen with people and not look about as convincing as Roger Rabbit. At least Muppets have texture. Same with explosions, fire, and pretty much any other CG effect. I'll skip a movie if it looks too CG heavy in the trailer. I'd much rather see that dog dragon in Never Ending Story than those ridiculous looking Transformers.

Seen it. Still not impressed with the visuals. I would much rather have had those aliens look as convincing as the creatures in Legend.

Seen it. Still not impressed with the visuals. I would much rather have had those aliens look as convincing as the creatures in Legend.

I'm still trying to block the fact that I watched District 9 from my memory.

You had me until the Transformers. CGI is inferior for reproducing human or animal movement that we can relate to real organisms in our world because we're so used to what their natural movements and behaviors should look like, but it's great for reproducing something we have no real-world context for such as the giant robots of Transformers. The Transformers CGI was absolutely incredible, you're off your rocker. :screwy:

It just looked like a mess of parts, I couldn't distinguish anything from those designs, and even though the robots were not organic, they still had a cartoon sheen to them that all CG seems to have. It just grates me.

I'm so over Star Wars. I was a huge Star Wars geek back in the day but the prequals killed my spirit. Nothing good came out of those movies. Even Natalie Portman in that tight white outfit isn't enough to get me to watch.

+1....ditto

Hard to say whether Luke would have ended up like that or not...he stopped being whiny after he found out Anakin was his father. Plus he didn't have someone like Sidious there leading him astray.

Luke was impatient. He was battling the Dark Side. He did know the difference between good and evil though and he was generally a good person. He had Sidious and Vader egging him on in ROTJ. He was tempted but refused to let that get to him. Sure he was tempted (aren't we all) but he was still a good guy.

What redeeming qualities did Anakin have? Seriously. I can't remember anything he did that was remotely good. Hell, if he loved his mom so much, why didn't he go back for her earlier? He was just lame.

I loved almost all the characters in the original trilogies and I have to say that I can't identify with any of the ones from the prequels. Even Obi Wan was lame and I loved him in the originals. He was way to monotonous and stone-faced. I get it. The jedi are like space monks... BUT THERE WAS NO PERSONALITY!

I could go on forever on my hatred for the prequels.

Also, please stop this POST production 3D crapola for movies!

Like one critic stated, "Watching Clash of the Titans in 3D was like watching the 2-D version through 2 feet of bong water!"

I'm skeptical of this as well, but if anyone can figure out how to do post-production 3D well, it would be LucasFilm. Is there another greater innovator in filmmaking technology than them in the entire history of film special effects? hm

You have a very valid point. Good call.

Hard to say whether Luke would have ended up like that or not...he stopped being whiny after he found out Anakin was his father. Plus he didn't have someone like Sidious there leading him astray.

Luke was impatient. He was battling the Dark Side. He did know the difference between good and evil though and he was generally a good person. He had Sidious and Vader egging him on in ROTJ. He was tempted but refused to let that get to him. Sure he was tempted (aren't we all) but he was still a good guy.

What redeeming qualities did Anakin have? Seriously. I can't remember anything he did that was remotely good. Hell, if he loved his mom so much, why didn't he go back for her earlier? He was just lame.

I loved almost all the characters in the original trilogies and I have to say that I can't identify with any of the ones from the prequels. Even Obi Wan was lame and I loved him in the originals. He was way to monotonous and stone-faced. I get it. The jedi are like space monks... BUT THERE WAS NO PERSONALITY!

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I have definitely lost something along the way then. I couldn't care less about those characters so the battle was meaningless to me. And then the ending? Obi Wan had the "high ground" and that is why he won? Seriously? It might have looked pretty for the first 1 or 2 minutes of the fight but then it got monotonous and the dialog just killed me.

The worst moment of any of the trilogies was in ROTS when the Emperor was defeated by Mace Windu and Anakin came to his rescue. It was the worst dialog ever. I actually felt embarrassed for the actors.

Obi-Wan didn't win simply because he was higher, he won because Anakin had to jump to get over there and he arrogantly thought he would have enough control to not get hit while making taking the predictable path up. I had no problem with it.

I don't disagree that Lucas's feel for actor direction or dialogue is seriously lacking. It was lacking hugely in Star Wars, which he and the entire cast knew, which is why he didn't direct the next two films. However, if you made this argument to the 10-year-old version of yourself, you'd have no idea what you were talking about. Selective myopia is a useful skill with a film like Episode III...those action sequences just blow away anything in the original three films. The Yoda/Emperor fight was incredible as well. :cloud9:

Obi Wan says "You can't win. I have the higher ground." I think you are making excuses for the terrible writing.

Let me start by addresssing your numbered concerns.

1. Leia at birth was strong in the force and received a lasting impression? Or she's referring to her adoptive mother (more likely) that we see only once in Episode III.

2. Yoda was on the Jedi Council and a higher ranking master than Qui-Gon. He also administered the Trials to Obi-Wan, who without facing them could not have become a Jedi Knight.

3. "This droid says he belongs to someone called Obi-Wan Kenobi" "Obi-Wan?" "Yeah, does it mean anything to you?" "Of course it does, it's me...but I don't seem to recall ever having owned a droid." (might not be a direct quote, but it's close enough to show Obi-Wan could've been telling the truth from a certain point of view...or half truth as he is famous for doing...and finally I would like to say...

its_a_trap.jpg

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

star-wars-darth-sidious-rotflmfao.jpg