• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The "I've Never Done This Before But I want to get a SS Sketch Cover" Thread

23 posts in this topic

OK, so I'm a SS novice, but a convention veteran. For the upcoming NYCC I wanted to get my first sketch covers done and (possibly, probably) put in yellow label goodness.

Obviously, there are a ton of questions I have.

(1) How/who do I approach for sketch covers? I assume it's only the people set up in artist's alley; do I go right to them or CGC if I want a SS sketch cover done.

(2) At what point do I need to make sure CGC is involved so I can get the yellow label?

(3) Will it be pretty easy to find the coveted blank covers at the con or is it generally a situation where I need to bring what I want?

(4) Is there anything I'm forgetting? :cry:

I'm excited to try this and expand my collecting horizons. I'm also so overwhelmed that I don't want to mess up and have a bad taste left over from my first SS-con-"quest" (ok, that was a bad pun).

Thanks everyone! :wishluck:

If your dead set on getting one ONLY done at a CON...... then you may want to bring your own blanks in tip top condition.

Certain artists are actually there with yellow labeled CGC SS SKETCH slabs for you 2 choose from on display as well which may save ya time should you see something you like!

Also getting a sketch created can be done quite often right from this section of the forum if you visit and browse for opportunities frequently.

Rich

In my experience (which was Wizard Philly)

CGC was on site @ Philly.

you have to go to CGC Booth First and let them know what you are doing. Then a employee from CGC walks over with you to the artist and watches you drop off the book.

You set up everything with the artist (money, pick up time). Once you get a time you go back to the CGC booth to have one of the employees pick up the book from the artist with you.

Then you go back to the booth and do the paper work.

You can find many blank covers at the con but IMO its better to prep them ahead of time before the con.

But I believe that CGC will not be on site at NYCC..so you might have to contact one of the board members who are accepting submission and they will deff walk you through the process (thumbs u

Welcome to the addiction that is know as yellow label fever :headbang:

I just go to the artist I want the sketch from, drop off my book, check back to see if the artist is finished and if so I go get the CGC rep and thats it.....

same

CGC only needs to see you pick up the book, and walk to their table for paperwork/payment

imo i would also mention to the artist that you are looking to get the sketch cgc'd.....some don't like it (shrug) but that's your call

i always let them know, bc some know the process and don't ask questions, others aren't sure about it and need a little info about cgc and how it works.

to these ones i try to get back to their table with a slabed book to show them excatly what will happen, that and to take my info with a grain of salt and if they want more then just general info to go to cgc's booth and ask questions

If your dead set on getting one ONLY done at a CON...... then you may want to bring your own blanks in tip top condition.

Certain artists are actually there with yellow labeled CGC SS SKETCH slabs for you 2 choose from on display as well which may save ya time should you see something you like!

Also getting a sketch created can be done quite often right from this section of the forum if you visit and browse for opportunities frequently.

Rich

Thanks Rich!

This is how much of a newbie I am to the world of yellow labels. I'll be sure to keep checking here more frequently :cloud9:

:signfunny:

Prices can vary tremendously. The most significant cost will be the artist's fee. That could range from free to hundreds of dollars. Depends on the artist and what you ask for (head shot, bust, full fig, quickie sketch, etc)

The most consistent cost will be the cost of the blank (~$4) and CGC's fees+shipping ($27 for grading, ~$10 shipping)

So figure for one sketch, you're looking at ~$40 to hundreds. Do you have anyone in particular you're aiming for?

I've never tried this either. I'm thinking about hitting up Atlanta Comic Con (oh sorry, the new Wizard Show Atlanta) and trying one. I've actually had a couple of sketch covers done in the past, just never thought to get them slabbed.