• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Brock and Board, Where are we now? An Update........

491 posts in this topic

Some people here may think its o.k. to back out of deals but most of us do not.

There's a glue that holds this board together. Having some respect for your fellow members, character, and honesty, and some pride on being a member here. Step outside the line, and you may as well deal with e-bay.

DR.X

If that 1st line was in reference to me (not sure if it was), that was addressed in my last post on page 14.

I'm as big on integrity and respect. as anyone here, I can guarantee that. I'm glad this board sticks together.

:sick:

I just think we have different perspectives on what this behavior indicates in the seller.

You seem to believe that bad behavior is a learned behavior and that he would move up from smaller lies to larger ones, but that he was caught here and it will change his ethics set.

I see it in a very different way. This is about temptation, and how much money it would take to make a person lie and cheat.

In this situation it took very little, almost nothing, to make the seller lie and cheat the buyer out of his book.

His personal integrity allowed him to screw the buyer over for a very small potential return. Logic indicates that the larger the potential dollars the quicker the angel on his shoulder would get the hook in favor of the quick (and larger) buck.

Short Version: If he'd do it for $25.......you had better believe he'd do it for $250, $2500, or $25000.

True, I've screwed you for less. :blush:

To be fair, that was my going rate at the time.

I thought that I was getting a deal. (tsk)

I allowed you to use that Canadian Monopoly Money, that was deal enough.

Remember our next transaction in NY coming up.

Quote fail but it's expected with your kind.

In the spirit of halloween

scan0070.jpg

At the risk of getting pelted with rocks, I think this is being made out to be bigger than it is.

BD seems like a good guy. He sold a book for less than he wanted, so he decided not to sell. That sucks for the buyer, as we all love to get nice books under guide (I know the excitement I get from it).

It's great that there is some unity on this board, but it's not like the guy sold a fake, or sold something restored without mentioning it, or sold something claiming its a 8.0 when its really a 4.0, or lied in the description about damage then refused a return. Or shipped something carelessly and got destroyed in transit. He backed out of a deal- that doesn't show the most integrity, but it's not worth death or anything. No money was lost and no product was lost. You're back at square 1. I'm glad a thread was made on this, as it's good to know.

As someone mentioned- its a common non key bronze book that looks a bit off and doesn't have the best PQ. We're not talking about a Batman 1 or Marvel Comics 1, or an AF 15. I doubt this book means much overall.

I'm sure most here love comics and OA with a passion, but if you've been around you've probably been burned 10x worse easily. I know I have seen some real shady stuff. This warrants a slap on the hand an a "I'm dissapointed with you" for a while, but that's it.

***and no I never have done anything shady in dealings, so I'm not saying this because I feel guilty or anything.

Maybe you should think about it this way.

If the seller is willing to lie and cheat over $25-30, what would he do in a deal for that Batman 1 or AF 15 you mention.

If his threshold for honesty is exceeded by the temptation to make another $25, how exactly can you trust him with anything larger.

Integrity is not shown through grand gestures or how you act when everyone is watching. It's in the small things, the everyday things, when you think you'll never get caught if you just cut a corner.

I agree 100% that offenses start out small. You do the lesser crimes then move up. BUT some people change. If he got away scott free, maybe he would eventually do something worse on a pricier book. But he was caught- so the shenanigans might stop. Especially with the comic community here being tight knit, as the previous poster said. I can understand being wary currently (at this point I wouldnt purchase from him), but I personally wont assume the worst of someone for life because of one known offense. That's ridiculous. People grow and learn.

yeah...next time, he will just scan just the book portion and hide the cert# so he can claim it is a different book if he is caught? criminals do learn to improve their methods of scamming.

devil's advocate is fine and dandy but lets assume the flip side that this is not his first time? Just because this time is only a $25 book doesn't mean he hasn't commit a fraud with bigger dollar amount. Hell, Robojo33 will scam on on $100 book today just as he would on a $1000 book and he has been doing for a long time.

Bottom line, he is caught THIS time and that is all we know so any speculations on this is his first is just that.

Brocolli replied to me just now, Twice:

I'm not asking you to buy anything from me. Honestly what would you have done if you paid 85 for a book and it went for 20.

Then another one:

If you have any suggestions I will do my best to make it right but I'm not taking that large a bath. I'm sorry.

I replied this:

I'm not asking you to buy anything from me. Honestly what would you have done if you paid 85 for a book and it went for 20.

I would have sold it. That's the way auctions work. It's a contract; I have to pay if I win and you have to send it to me. Read ebay's rules. You could have put a reserve on the auction to make sure it hit your acceptable price. You didn't, that would have cost a few more dollars in listing fees. You chose to back out of a legal binding deal. Nice.

If the book sold for $100.00 and I decided not to pay, would that have been OK with you?

Read the thread I posted. People are shocked you would do something like this. It was a really foolish thing to do. You should have dumped the book at a show and I would have never known. Nice story about the kids and ruining the book. Genius.

His reply:

Dear nochips,

I appreciate you bid and I see you win this auction. Unfortunately I

have to refund your money. You see my little boy and his friend thought

it would be neat to crack open a few of the comics I down from the upper

shelf for sale and read them. This comic is no longer slabbed and has

been damaged. I apologize again for the inconvience and I will refund

your money.

This is pretty close to fraud.

All over basically thirty dollars.

:tonofbricks:

That's what I don't get. I just gave someone roughly $30 worth of freebies for taking too long to ship a $100 purchase.

Someone who has enough disposable income to participate in this hobby in the first place should be able to take a $30 hit like a man.

If you have any suggestions I will do my best to make it right but I'm not taking that large a bath. I'm sorry.

Hey Broccoli, you're breaching contract, you freaking bozo.

If you can't handle losing $60, sell your collection and put the money in the bank.

Then another one:

I replied this:

I would have sold it. That's the way auctions work. It's a contract; I have to pay if I win and you have to send it to me. Read ebay's rules. You could have put a reserve on the auction to make sure it hit your acceptable price. You didn't, that would have cost a few more dollars in listing fees. You chose to back out of a legal binding deal. Nice.

If the book sold for $100.00 and I decided not to pay, would that have been OK with you?

Read the thread I posted. People are shocked you would do something like this. It was a really foolish thing to do. You should have dumped the book at a show and I would have never known. Nice story about the kids and ruining the book. Genius.

welp that about does it... another person not to buy from... pretty sad :(

Then another one:

I replied this:

No mistake...he knew what he was doing...

liar.jpg

Then another one:

I replied this:

Well, I just read through this entire thread and I was hoping the seller would come out, apologize, and make things right. It was definitely the wrong thing to do, a deal is a deal. period. But, from what I get here the seller has zero remorse and is willing to ruin he cred on the boards for 20 bucks. Stupid move bro, I know I won't ever buy from you and I'm assuming you've lost the rest of the boards as well. Hope it was worth it.

Then another one:

I replied this:

So it this slab was a stock that Brocolli bought for $85 would he have expected his broker not to sell it for $20 if he put in a market order to sell and thats all the market said it was worth?

Its always better to take the loss and walk away, now he's lie Blockbuster and bankrupt lol

Better yet, if you can't take a loss, don't overpay for .

Why should nochips suffer because of your foolish purchases? You could put that book on Ebay 10 times, and I guarantee you aren't getting your money back.

Then another one:

I replied this:

lol

Dear Brocolli;

You're not smart enough to engage in the buying and selling of collectibles. Please just either get your comic book money somehow else, or stop buying books altogether.

Sincerely,

The hobby

I guess he can get credit for honesty. Eventual honesty, that is. "I'm not going to take that large a bath." Sixty-five dollars. :tonofbricks:

Welcome to the wonderful world of selling books, champ!

I love how buddy is trying to gain our sympathy... Maybe use that fancy "reserve" feature that eBay has next time. Or maybe don't pay $85 bucks for a $20 book and expect people to cry you a river for your WHOOPING loss.

What a dou-che

I love how buddy is trying to gain our sympathy... Maybe use that fancy "reserve" feature that eBay has next time. Or maybe don't pay $85 bucks for a $20 book and expect people to cry you a river for your WHOOPING loss.

What a dou-che

Or just take your lickings and live and learn. God knows I have countless times selling on open auctions.

Honestly, I would have honored the transaction, packed the item as carefully as any others and sent an email to the buyer checking if he received the item OK once I knew it got delivered.

Nut-up bucko. :sumo:

Seems to me if I were the buyer (nochips), I'd try to reopen the eBay complaint and send them a link to this discussion thread and the locked sales thread where the seller was clearly caught in his attempted fraudulent act.

Hey I scored on that thread :banana: