• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My expierience with Gerry Ross (The Comic Master)
3 3

95 posts in this topic

My dealing with Gerry Ross (The Comic Master)

I know This might bore you but I thought I would just let you all in on a deal that I had as A 17 year old in 1986 with the infamous Gerry Ross.

I saw his ad before he teamed up with Robert Crestol and called him up to make a trade from one on his books in his catalog he had sent me.

I had a Action #3 in unrestored vg-f condition sold to me by Joe Mannarino for $500.00 at the time and I had to get a loan from my father for the book.

It was a beauty!!...As we spoke we agreed on a Marvel Mystery #5 as I thought it was rare according to over street and a Captain America #3.

He told me that if I did not like the books he would return my book back so I sent him the Action.

Sure enough he let me know that OH!! the post damaged the book creating a gash in the cover!! I knew that was false as I totally insulated the book but was too naive to retaliate.

He still agreed to the trade for some reason and when I received the books the Marvel was horrible!!. It was torn in half!! but was restored using rice paper to seal all the rips.

The Cap was nice propbalbly a sure f+ unrestored called him and he said NO! No returners but he had told me the sale was to my approval.

At that time the Cap and Marvel was not that valuable actually the Action was more valuable to me.

So he said Ok send the books back and I did register from Toronto Canada.

For some reason the books did arrive to his p.o box but the were not accepted!!

Now for the real jolt the books were never returned to me as they were lost in transit!!!

I feel he had something to do with this..

When I called him over and over he would answer and give me the run around and when I would call again he would disguise his voice as a different person.

Well I just thought I would get this off my back. I have photos of the books I took before shipment and if I find them I will post them.

Edited by ablue

Blue -

Sorry to hear about that. What a dirtbag! I think that would have soured me forever. I remember seeing all those ads (in OS and various comics in the 80's and 90's) and wondering how they (Crestohl/Ross) amassed such a fabulous stock. I always wished I had the bucks to buy some of their books (but I only had a part-time job), now I'm glad I didn't.

Chris

In the late 70s, Gerry Ross walked off w/ my friends Planet 1, Supe 2 & other semi-keys. Comics were shipped to him for 3rd party grading. The bks were shipped registered fr Vancouver, BC to Ross in Canada, but no signature was ever given to prove receipt of the bks even though they were delivered. Perhaps Ross would trade his postman some comics to look the other way regarding proof of delivery.

Boy, you have been a trouble maker for quite a while! I thought you would be brighter than to have a Canuck screw you out of a few bucks! smirk.gif

Nice link Doc, It just makes my blood boil every time I hear stories regarding that scumbag and his dishonesty with fellow collectors. I'll tell you if I ever come face-to-face with that SOB I'll not be responsible for my actions! mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

Well, I didn't post the part about where he called me on the phone and "made it up to me" by sending me file copies (although they weren't NM) of a couple photocover Munsters books which I flipped on ebay. tongue.gif

I generally get along well with everyone I associate with, but there comes a time when you gotta stand up for your values...and this was one of 'em. I don't think "omc@cam.org" had much success selling on racm after that...and the record will show I was just bandwagonning (is that a word confused.gif ) on others' experiences. You should've seen me in action when those Nolies were bashing Spurrier after Dockett-gate last year! mad.gif

BTW, what happened to Rex Grossman this year? Taking it easy after Brock Berlin transferred? Given that your Iron Fist #1 got a 9.6, I will laugh in your face when that Marvel Premiere 15 that you sold me gets a high grade! tongue.gif

If only...next year we'll (Gatorskins) will be better. I think it's become obvious that Ramsey will be the starting QB the rest of the way, and next year.

He should be. He's the only QB on our roster that can throw the ball with any zip or further than 30 yards. The season is lost, so might as well get ramsey used to the speed of the game.

Wuerffel was a fine college QB, but I could rack up the stats if my receivers were twice as fast as the other teams corners, as is the UF norm. In the NFL, everyone is lightning fast, and his "floaters" give the DB's enough time to close in.

Chris

Yes - all the rumors I've heard are that he's either staying or leaving! wink.gif Apparently he asked Spurrier last year if the 'skins would draft him if he came out, and Stevie said he couldn't guarantee it. He's probably the best QB Spurrier ever had at UF with regards to his arm strength and NFL-potential. Wuerffel was the smartest at calling audibles and could make all the throws under 50-yards...

Oh God! If they draft Grossman, I'm gonna start rooting for the Ravens (uhhhg!). We just spent our first round on a QB. We don't need another one. Look around, Steve, O-line needs so much help! Need RB help (since its obvious we're getting rid of our only offensive player with any skills). NO MORE QB's! mad.gif

Chris