• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,544 posts in this topic

Gator,

What is the greatest Barks book?

ah, to try to narrow to one "single" greatest is nary an impossible task, as each Barks fan will no doubt have their favorite...

for me, as a scrooge mcduck fan, I have to say FC 178...but your milage will vary (thumbs u

Gator,

ah, to try to narrow to one "single" greatest is nary an impossible task, as each Barks fan will no doubt have their favorite...

for me, as a scrooge mcduck fan, I have to say FC 178...but your milage will vary (thumbs u

I prefer the FC 291 story but I think US 5 is a close second. I also read the "Second Richest Duck" story many times. If I had a copy of FC 29 I might be singing its praises but I don't. The Egyptian scenes in the book are great. Did Barks visit England and visit the artifacts in the British Museum or go to Africa?

Gator,

This would be my first choice. I used to have a HG copy.

Gator,

This would be my first choice. I used to have a HG copy.
really comes down to pesonal preference, on such a large and diverse group of work, such as Bark's was responsible for !

Fun thread.

Gator:

10 years I was turned on to GA books by discussions with some GA dealers at shows who asked me why I was into selling SA/BA/CA, which are all as common as dirt and carried by everybody, and not GA for which collecting and dealing represent more of challenge.

How pervasive is this attitude among the old vanguard of dealers? Whether or not this smacks of elitism, I can easily see how holding your umpteenth copy of a SA "key" can cause one to begin to think of most SA and up as widgets; the rarity of higher/highest grade can only mitigate this somewhat. I am not implying these books are not worth collecting, indeed, I have several SA and up books I enjoy, and value, for numerous reasons, including nostalgia which cannot be served by GA books. I do however, when thinking of acquiring most SA and up books as a dealer, tend to have a "these are widgets" mindset.

How do you compartmentalize GA books from SA (other than in separate boxes)?

human nature is generally to "want things"...it is how we are wired... human nature is generally more fulfilled when we get the things we want...along the way though, the "journey" starts to increase in importance, almost to the point that it can be every bit as satisfying (or even more so), than the destination...

what does that all mean , I don't have a clue lol but to answer you, GA provides more challenge, more opposition, more effort, more dilegence and most important, more reward to collect... buying and collecting SA is appealing if you truly enjoy that character, have a set of standards from which to you collect (only 9.2, only white page, etc), etc...but there has to be some sort of "satisfaction" in collecting, or what is the point... GA offers that on almost every level... not to mention the history of the genre, the reminder of a simpler time, the lure of fantasy of being 10 years old in 1939 with a shinny mercury dime in your pocket...these are the things that make GA collecting "special"

human nature is generally to "want things"...it is how we are wired... human nature is generally more fulfilled when we get the things we want...along the way though, the "journey" starts to increase in importance, almost to the point that it can be every bit as satisfying (or even more so), than the destination...

what does that all mean , I don't have a clue lol but to answer you, GA provides more challenge, more opposition, more effort, more dilegence and most important, more reward to collect... buying and collecting SA is appealing if you truly enjoy that character, have a set of standards from which to you collect (only 9.2, only white page, etc), etc...but there has to be some sort of "satisfaction" in collecting, or what is the point... GA offers that on almost every level... not to mention the history of the genre, the reminder of a simpler time, the lure of fantasy of being 10 years old in 1939 with a shinny mercury dime in your pocket...these are the things that make GA collecting "special"

:preach: it

Gator,

Thank you! "Christmas at Bear Mountain" featuring the first appearance of Scrooge is an excellent choice.

I also have a special fondness for Donald Duck 26 "Trick or Treat" and FC 367 "A Christmas for Shacktown"