• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,544 posts in this topic

the real question we should ask ourselves from that picture is why in the heck wasn't the gator invited :cry:

Rick, I'm pretty sure I didn't know you when that shot of the MH Jumbos was taken at my house. I think that was taken in 2007 or earlier. You can tell by how young Mr. Bedrock looks.

Here's a clearer photo of the books:

119197.jpg.12f66aca4c99382f0b98bbbe395bc79c.jpg

They were auctioned off in a single lot several years ago.

...and RHG was astute enough to grab them.

What a spectacular set (yes, I have seen them in person). :golfclap:

(worship) I raise a toast to RHG's acumen and your good fortune. :applause:

Thanks Steve and David. It's nice to get lucky every once in a while. :)

Whats the ultimate PLOD to own for the future ?

CAn it be any other than action 1. That said as far as plods go even that book (and tec 27) are getting out of even the serious collectors budget. So look to batman 1 and superman 1 and captain America 1 to be the most heavily traded

Whats the ultimate PLOD to own for the future ?

CAn it be any other than action 1. That said as far as plods go even that book (and tec 27) are getting out of even the serious collectors budget. So look to batman 1 and superman 1 and captain America 1 to be the most heavily traded

Are we still in a scenario "where purple does not always lead to sanity?"

Or have the market progressed away from the so called 'stigma'?

There is a brisk and healthy market for plods. Always has been and likey always will. Price point and value determine just how brisk but if there is a seller there is pretty much always a buyer

the real question we should ask ourselves from that picture is why in the heck wasn't the gator invited :cry:

Rick, I'm pretty sure I didn't know you when that shot of the MH Jumbos was taken at my house. I think that was taken in 2007 or earlier. You can tell by how young Mr. Bedrock looks.

Here's a clearer photo of the books:

It would be almost impossible for a photo to do those books justice. Although high grade books from 1938-39 are very rare, you do see them regularly if you follow the major auctions. But the early Jumbo's were gigantic in size. From working on my Mickey Mouse Magazine run since the late '90s, I've seen a lot of high grade books from this period. The only issue I've never seen in better than FN condition is the very large format first issue. It is actually quite common, but it just doesn't seem to exist in nice condition. The early Jumbo Comics were even larger than this. The odds that any copies of these books would survive in this condition must be astronomical.

Why do magazines come out a month or more before the date published on their cover?
A couple of reasons. First is to let the newstand know when to pull the mag to return unsold issues (by coming out a month early allows longer shelf life) and second to make the mag appear more "current"