• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,544 posts in this topic

if you bought them for your collection...keep them...

if you bought them for resell, sell them (thumbs u

ok, thanks,I've listed the 94 and will keep the 52 to my grave because I just love it!

^^

G.A.tor,

I would appreciate your assessment of Barks comics. Have they sold well for you over the past year? Are the higher grade 9.0 and above difficult to find? There are plenty of low to mid grade, which do not appear to sell. Are most Barks collectors old coots like myself? Any hucksters replying to my questions will be politely ignored.

Thanks!

The general duck/barks collecting demographic is aging. A look at sales will show a slight downward trend price wise on hg. That said they are still realizing, in some cases, strong prices all things considered. As we have seen in the barks art market, demand has waned resulting in softening prices and that trend is likely going to continue in the comic market imo

if you bought them for your collection...keep them...

if you bought them for resell, sell them (thumbs u

ok, thanks,I've listed the 94 and will keep the 52 to my grave because I just love it!

^^

I'm decided I like keeping the books that have eye popping color, unless they are too valuable. It helps to buy a collection, then you can really see the top 3 or so books eye appeal wise. For me here it was the bb 52, the jumbo 118, the wings 85 and wings 94 (which is too valuable for me to keep).

Dear Gator...

I have managed to put together some decent MMC and HT books over the last couple of years including a mid HT 5 and 8 recently. I pretty much have sold all of my other books. I figure realistically I can either collect one or the other, but not both.

I typically just collect for covers and both series stand out with their obvious "classic covers". I am thinking to stick with the HT series, as the covers really appeal to me. I know Torch is not a "first string" character, but figure I have a better shot at this series than MMC in terms of cost, availability and available covers that I really like. I will never really be able to fully collect a MMC series anyways, and many of the classic covers seam to be out creeping out of my price range each year. I basically collect mid-grade books with nice eye appeal.

Can you give me your advise...

- How popular is the HT run in comparison for the other Timely issues of the same era? What are the most common requests you get?

- What specific issues do you feel are harder to find than others and that should be more at the top of my want list - as example, I don't see to many copies of issue #7 often for sale.

- At present I have # 5,8,9,10,12,14,21 - which issue should I look at getting next.

- What do you feel the long run values on Timely's will be or in particular HT. Do you think they will remain as popular as demographics change within the collecting community in the next 10-20 years.

Sorry for all the questions, but you are the all-mighty (worship)

Thanks!

Hey Gator,

Do you have a rule of thumb for ball-parking values when there are few data points available?

What percentage of a 9.0 price should an 8.0 book sell for? How about a 6.0 of an 8.0 or a 5.0 of an 8.5? Do you have a correlation you use?

Would you include in your math mitigating factors such as presentation, page quality, rarity and pedigree if any?

Dear Gator...

I have managed to put together some decent MMC and HT books over the last couple of years including a mid HT 5 and 8 recently. I pretty much have sold all of my other books. I figure realistically I can either collect one or the other, but not both.

I typically just collect for covers and both series stand out with their obvious "classic covers". I am thinking to stick with the HT series, as the covers really appeal to me. I know Torch is not a "first string" character, but figure I have a better shot at this series than MMC in terms of cost, availability and available covers that I really like. I will never really be able to fully collect a MMC series anyways, and many of the classic covers seam to be out creeping out of my price range each year. I basically collect mid-grade books with nice eye appeal.

Can you give me your advise...

- How popular is the HT run in comparison for the other Timely issues of the same era? What are the most common requests you get?

- What specific issues do you feel are harder to find than others and that should be more at the top of my want list - as example, I don't see to many copies of issue #7 often for sale.

- At present I have # 5,8,9,10,12,14,21 - which issue should I look at getting next.

- What do you feel the long run values on Timely's will be or in particular HT. Do you think they will remain as popular as demographics change within the collecting community in the next 10-20 years.

Sorry for all the questions, but you are the all-mighty (worship)

Thanks!

human torch is just above subby on the lower end of the popularity of collecting scale lol

the early teens are tougher, as are the later 20's...

I would look to complete the teens next, then 20's, then the single digits (They are typically more readily available)

I think cap, usa, all winners, etc are better long term candidates for value increase potential, when compared to mmc, ht or subby for the obvious reasons (character relevance, aging collecting demographic, etc)

On a 1 to 10 difficulty scale >

How difficult is it to rebuild a lawnmower carburetor?

according to the master technician, quite easy...I would say a 3 (with 1 being easiest)

Hey Gator,

Do you have a rule of thumb for ball-parking values when there are few data points available?

What percentage of a 9.0 price should an 8.0 book sell for? How about a 6.0 of an 8.0 or a 5.0 of an 8.5? Do you have a correlation you use?

Would you include in your math mitigating factors such as presentation, page quality, rarity and pedigree if any?

I do have a rule of thumb for silver age keys, but not nec GA...suprisingly, on most all titles, if you pay attention, you can establish data points from which you can make a reasonable value assertion...applies even to the rarest centaurs... that said, there is no subsitute for experience and time (no way to speed it up or put in a simple formula)...

I do have a restored correlation scale I typically use, but not unrestored... OSPG's exponential value increase across grades is a good starting point, but by no means is it even remotely accurate many times...

really would depend on the title, issue, condition, etc

Hey Gator,

I do have a rule of thumb for silver age keys, but not nec GA...suprisingly, on most all titles, if you pay attention, you can establish data points from which you can make a reasonable value assertion...applies even to the rarest centaurs... that said, there is no subsitute for experience and time (no way to speed it up or put in a simple formula)...

I do have a restored correlation scale I typically use, but not unrestored... OSPG's exponential value increase across grades is a good starting point, but by no means is it even remotely accurate many times...

really would depend on the title, issue, condition, etc

:applause: As usual Gator provides a first rate perspective on GA collecting which is far from an exact science! (worship)

If Gator doesn't mind I'd like to share some of the common sense things that I've picked up over decades of collecting as well as my general overview of valuing GA comics in an unpredictable marketplace. My POV isn't all that different from what Gator has already said, but does reflect the various tools that I use as a collector and quasi-dealer (OK, queasy dealer) to keep my own bidding in check.

No rules of thumb per se, except to avoid the agonizing mental thumb-screws that can arise from the misguided belief that if I don't win a particular item now the opportunity will never present itself again. Keeping this notion (emotion?) locked away is the easiest way to avoid getting into trouble during an auction.

View the OSPG more like a weather vane than Doppler radar. The OSPG is a valuable reference, but can only provide the most basic insight into which way the wind is blowing at a given moment in time. Pedigree values, restored values, high grade reference points above 9.2, census representation, cover appeal, etc., are never explored in OS with any depth outside of the annual market reports contributed by long time collectors and dealers.

So, where does one go to find reliable information? In lieu of a functioning crystal ball what I find best is to take advantage of as many of the available tools, cues and clues as possible, especially when gauging volatile auction activity.

1. Visual presentation in scans provided (the quality of art and condition of cover; PQ matters for raw books, less so for HG CGC pedigrees)

2. CGC census (this only provides a "guesstimate" of what is in the marketplace, but it does help in establishing ballpark rarity of various collectible books in grade)

3. Tracking (in an auction you can get a general feel for the interest in any given book by the number of folks tracking lots and the accumulated bidding on books)

4. Percentage of grade (see #2 above). The fewer copies of desirable books that exist in HG or in any grade for that matter the more it moves the marker; OSPG rarely reflects this.

5. Media (Is anything getting traction in the film, television or book world that will peak the public's interest and extrapolate into investment potential)

6. Gut instinct. This is the most unpredictable aspect of collecting and only comes with time and experience, but as you get a feel for the market and confidence in your own judgment (when to hold'em and when to fold'em) it works better than any mathematical formula or system devised.

7. Personal goals. Are you a collector? An investor? Looking to own the best? Trying to fill-in a run? Love that one particular cover? Are you interested in long term ownership, speculation or a quick flip? These are tough introspective questions that each individual has to ask themselves from time to time. This is a wonderful hobby, business, passion, whatever you want to call it, but everyone has different ambitions.

I don't know if any of this helps as an addendum to the original query or whether it comes across as pompous rambling (probably more the latter or a little of both), but it just seems like something that needed to be said. Gator's points were dead-on. My value-added: 2c

Edited by DavidMerryweather

Hey Rick, as far as print runs go for the big Marvel SA keys, does Incredible Hulk #1 have the lowest?
there was a population report on these done not so long ago, where I saw what Marvel stated to be the print runs on their 1960's titles...

I don't believe hulk 1 was the lowest of the "big"...I think it was TTA 27 if I recall, but certainly of the big #1's hulk would appear the lowest in the current marketplace

Hey Rick, as far as print runs go for the big Marvel SA keys, does Incredible Hulk #1 have the lowest?
there was a population report on these done not so long ago, where I saw what Marvel stated to be the print runs on their 1960's titles...

I don't believe hulk 1 was the lowest of the "big"...I think it was TTA 27 if I recall, but certainly of the big #1's hulk would appear the lowest in the current marketplace

That's what I was told a while ago by a friend. It makes sense considering my lengthy quest. Funny, I have a TTA 27 though. lol