• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,544 posts in this topic

My list would be (off the top of my head), in CGC Universal 2.0 cream to off-white pages:

1) Action Comics #1

2) Detective Comics #27

3) Superman #1

4) All-American Comics #16

5) Batman #1

6) Marvel Comics #1

7) Action Comics #7

8) Captain America Comics #1

9) Detective Comics #31

10) Detective Comics #29

**Just listing superhero books here. I'm not familiar enough with Archie.

unfortunately aa16 would sell for less than many you have below it (see my list)

I fairly recently sold a cgc 3.5 for 25k...a 2.0 bat 1, cap1 etc would all easily beat aa16

My list would be (off the top of my head), in CGC Universal 2.0 cream to off-white pages:

1) Action Comics #1

2) Detective Comics #27

3) Superman #1

5) Batman #1

6) Marvel Comics #1

7) Action Comics #7

9) Detective Comics #31

10) Detective Comics #29

unfortunately aa16 would sell for less than many you have below it (see my list)

I've learned not to argue with the Gator when it comes to the value of key books. I think he has bought and sold more of them than any single dealer over the past few years. Probably by a fairly wide margin

A 3.0 AA 16 sold last July for $17.9 K . An Archie 1 in 3.5 sold for $20.3 K in Feb 2012.

AA 16 may still be ahead by a nose, but I think the two lines are crossing. Looking out 5 to 10 years, I would much, much rather have an Archie 1 than an AA 16 in the same grade.

1) Action Comics #1

2) Detective Comics #27

3) Superman #1

5) Batman #1

6) Marvel Comics #1

7) Action Comics #7

9) Detective Comics #31

10) Detective Comics #29

I've learned not to argue with the Gator when it comes to the value of key books. I think he has bought and sold more of them than any single dealer over the past few years. Probably by a fairly wide margin

Which is what makes second-guessing him fun! :D

1) Action Comics #1

2) Detective Comics #27

3) Superman #1

5) Batman #1

6) Marvel Comics #1

7) Action Comics #7

9) Detective Comics #31

10) Detective Comics #29

I fairly recently sold a cgc 3.5 for 25k...a 2.0 bat 1, cap1 etc would all easily beat aa16

Why do you feel a All-American #16 CGC 1.0 with brittle pages sold for $11,250 while a Batman #1 qualified CGC 1.8 with OFF-WHITE pages sold for $10,050? (shrug)

Here's Ricks completed list...all in one listing :) notice 60% of the list has batman or supe in it :)

1) action 1

2) detective 27

3) superman 1

4) batman 1

5) captain America 1

6) pep 22

7) action 7

8) detective 31

9) marvel 1

10) all American 16

I will guess ricks back end 11-20 will include (not in value order):

-action 10

-action 13

-Tec 29

-Tec 33

-Tec 35

-Archie 1

-all star 8

-more fun 52

-adventure 40

-marvel mystery 9

I'm not so sure about ranking Marvel #1 and All-American #16 that low.

Are there any recent sales for Marvel #1 in CGC Universal low-grade? (shrug)

But as I mentioned in a prior post, compare the recent sales of Batman #1 (ranked #4) to All-American #16 (ranked #10).

A CGC qualified, unrestored Batman #1 in 1.8 with OFF-WHITE PAGES sold for $10,050:

http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fitems%2Easp%3Fid%3D3852%26FROM%3D%26TO%3D&id=957645

A CGC universal, unrestored All-American #16 in 1.0 with BRITTLE PAGES sold for $11,250:

http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fitems%2Easp%3Fid%3D3868%26FROM%3D%26TO%3D&id=961785

Whoever paid $11,250 for that All-American #16 with brittle pages most likely overpaid, possibly just wanting a copy - any copy - and being willing to overpay in order to not have to look for another one. I doubt that book will ever fetch that much again, if it ever gets re-sold.

Here's Ricks completed list...all in one listing :) notice 60% of the list has batman or supe in it :)

1) action 1

2) detective 27

3) superman 1

4) batman 1

5) captain America 1

6) pep 22

7) action 7

8) detective 31

9) marvel 1

10) all American 16

-action 10

-action 13

-Tec 29

-Tec 33

-Tec 35

-Archie 1

-all star 8

-more fun 52

-adventure 40

-marvel mystery 9

But as I mentioned in a prior post, compare the recent sales of Batman #1 (ranked #4) to All-American #16 (ranked #10).

A CGC qualified, unrestored Batman #1 in 1.8 with OFF-WHITE PAGES sold for $10,050:

http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fitems%2Easp%3Fid%3D3852%26FROM%3D%26TO%3D&id=957645

A CGC universal, unrestored All-American #16 in 1.0 with BRITTLE PAGES sold for $11,250:

http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fitems%2Easp%3Fid%3D3868%26FROM%3D%26TO%3D&id=961785

Whoever paid $11,250 for that All-American #16 with brittle pages most likely overpaid, possibly just wanting a copy - any copy - and being willing to overpay in order to not have to look for another one. I doubt that book will ever fetch that much again, if it ever gets re-sold.

I would actually take a restored copy over a copy with brittle pages

1) action 1

2) detective 27

3) superman 1

4) batman 1

5) captain America 1

6) pep 22

7) action 7

8) detective 31

9) marvel 1

10) all American 16

-action 10

-action 13

-Tec 29

-Tec 33

-Tec 35

-Archie 1

-all star 8

-more fun 52

-adventure 40

-marvel mystery 9

I would actually take a restored copy over a copy with brittle pages

(thumbs u

1) action 1

2) detective 27

3) superman 1

4) batman 1

5) captain America 1

6) pep 22

7) action 7

8) detective 31

9) marvel 1

10) all American 16

-action 10

-action 13

-Tec 29

-Tec 33

-Tec 35

-Archie 1

-all star 8

-more fun 52

-adventure 40

-marvel mystery 9

I respectfully disagree.

With only 19 universal CGC copies in existence, it's understandable to pay a premium on the very rare occasions a copy becomes available for sale.

Much like Whiz Comics #2, the lack of available copies (especially unrestored copies) can prevent the book from generating steam in the way Batman #1 has since it has a more regular opportunity to test the market.

Edited by Wayne-Tec

What folks have to remember is one sale does not make the market. I have bought and sold dozens bat 1s and 11 aa16s in the past couple of years. That is what Allows me to make and give a more informed and accurate "opinion" , having multiple sales and An a more in depth understanding of the market for these type books. Not saying i am always right of course but i generally have more information from which to base my assessments (thumbs u

[font:Times New Roman]Dear Gator,

What kind of basketball shoes do you recommend?[/font] hm

preferably ones that fit! lol

I have Nike and reebok ... There is no right shoe , just whatever one personally prefers

I have Nike and reebok ... There is no right shoe , just whatever one personally prefers

Jordan 3s and 11s for me :cool:

comfort and support are they key

comfort and support are they key

Asics for me.

I see your 3's and 11's and add in some 5's and 8's. (thumbs u

What folks have to remember is one sale does not make the market. I have bought and sold dozens bat 1s and 11 aa16s in the past couple of years. That is what Allows me to make and give a more informed and accurate "opinion" , having multiple sales and An a more in depth understanding of the market for these type books. Not saying i am always right of course but i generally have more information from which to base my assessments (thumbs u

I respect your opinion big-time Rick, I wouldn't have first asked you the question if I didn't. My point in this case is that since AA #16 is so rare when it comes to CGC slabbed universal examples, it doesn't have the same opportunity to set precedents sales-wise. Years can go by before a copy in the same grade re-sells or sells again, where as Batman #1 can be found in many major auctions.

The 1.0 copy w/BRITTLE pages was the last public sale of a complete Universal copy and it sold strong at $11,250.

What is GPA for Batman #1 Universal w/BRITTLE pages? hm