• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,544 posts in this topic

Dear G.A.tor

favourite GGA cover?

Thanks

Jake

probably PL 17

Do you buy into the notion that the cover may not be by Baker after all?

no

I guess that if even Vadeboncoeur thinks it is, it probably is. (A lot of other Baker GGA covers I like better, though. :D )

I never seen good reason to question Baker being the artist. Who are they suggesting as an alternate?

Taking a quick scan through the other covers, I don't think that there's the high level of artistic consistency that you would later see in Baker's St. John work. That may be partly due to his maturing as an artist and partly due to working as part of the Iger shop assembly line where other hands might have touched part of the drawing.

It's not my favorite Baker cover but I certainly understand why it's tops for so many.

Dear G.A.tor

favourite GGA cover?

Thanks

Jake

probably PL 17

no

I guess that if even Vadeboncoeur thinks it is, it probably is. (A lot of other Baker GGA covers I like better, though. :D )

I never seen good reason to question Baker being the artist. Who are they suggesting as an alternate?

Taking a quick scan through the other covers, I don't think that there's the high level of artistic consistency that you would later see in Baker's St. John work. That may be partly due to his maturing as an artist and partly due to working as part of the Iger shop assembly line where other hands might have touched part of the drawing.

It's not my favorite Baker cover but I certainly understand why it's tops for so many.

It's a vexed question isn't it? Even much of the St John work shows the influence of lesser hands. The later covers would seem to be pure Baker, many but not all of the stories. A lot of his work for Fiction House seems unadulterated.

This really is a fleeting recollection, so please don't hold me to it, but I believe the argument suggested that the PL #17 cover might have been the product of a jam session by Baker and Kamen. Cant recall why though!

But I do think a lot of what is currently ascribed to Baker isn't entirely by his hand.

Dear G.A.tor

favourite GGA cover?

Thanks

Jake

probably PL 17

no

It's a vexed question isn't it? Even much of the St John work shows the influence of lesser hands. The later covers would seem to be pure Baker, many but not all of the stories. A lot of his work for Fiction House seems unadulterated.

This really is a fleeting recollection, so please don't hold me to it, but I believe the argument suggested that the PL #17 cover might have been the product of a jam session by Baker and Kamen. Cant recall why though!

But I do think a lot of what is currently ascribed to Baker isn't entirely by his hand.

To my mind Baker's best work was done 1950-1955 at St John. Before that, either because he was still developing his craft or because he was collaborating with lesser lights, his work seems weaker. In the last few years of his life, because he was burned out or distracted or ill, his work also seems to have fallen off.

I was in the lead at one point and considered going all the way but some information lead me to withdraw at my last bid. I stand by what I have said, in the long run THIS book someday will be worth 1 million dollars. However, there are major, major issues looming our comic book world which will need to be addressed.

So, what's your take on Mitch's post a bit ago about major, major issues looming in our comic book world which will need to be addressed? Is the doom and gloom warranted?

I guess this is as good a place as any to ask this:

I would like to know about the Allentown Tec 27. Does anyone know where it is/what it's history is since the Allentown collection was found? I've read it is a 9.6 (obviously it hasn't been CGC'd since the highest copy there is a restored 9.2 and a 8.0 universal), is this grade anecdotal (a guy who once talked to a guy who saw it once) or are there pictures/scans of the book somewhere? Basically just interested in what is known about the book.

Thanks

I would like to know about the Allentown Tec 27. Does anyone know where it is/what it's history is since the Allentown collection was found? I've read it is a 9.6 (obviously it hasn't been CGC'd since the highest copy there is a restored 9.2 and a 8.0 universal), is this grade anecdotal (a guy who once talked to a guy who saw it once) or are there pictures/scans of the book somewhere? Basically just interested in what is known about the book.

Thanks

Great question.

Thanks

Yes. The whereabouts of that book are well-known. I talked to the owner about the book back in 1999 when I bought the Detective #29 Allentown from him. The #29 is nicer than the #27. My guess is the #27 may be a 9.4, could be slightly nicer, could be slightly worse... I never saw it. That is my guess based on the info I was told about it.

Hope that helps. Perhaps Gator has more info to add. (shrug)

Thanks

Yes. The whereabouts of that book are well-known. I talked to the owner about the book back in 1999 when I bought the Detective #29 Allentown from him. The #29 is nicer than the #27. My guess is the #27 may be a 9.4, could be slightly nicer, could be slightly worse... I never saw it. That is my guess based on the info I was told about it.

Hope that helps. Perhaps Gator has more info to add. (shrug)

payette told me, not too long ago, that as long as in the same condition as when he had it, it is 9.4 by today's standards (didn't jim grade it vf/nm?)

I was in the lead at one point and considered going all the way but some information lead me to withdraw at my last bid. I stand by what I have said, in the long run THIS book someday will be worth 1 million dollars. However, there are major, major issues looming our comic book world which will need to be addressed.

So, what's your take on Mitch's post a bit ago about major, major issues looming in our comic book world which will need to be addressed? Is the doom and gloom warranted?

nothing that experience won't avoid

questions for Mr. gator

hi gator new to these boards-pleasure to meet you-heard you are an expert on all things wonder woman-looking to buy a sensation 1, no restoration, about a 3.0-6.0 slabbed. you got an extra one floating around you want to sell? :D

question 2-ive got the tech skills of an infant. have no idea how to post a picture of one of my books on these forums so I figured while im at it I would ask you-im sure its easy and everyone but me knows how to do it-ive seen all the wonderful pictures of peoples books on these boards and would like to take a picture and share a couple of mine-

how do I do that-I have an iphone and can take a picture of my comic but then how do I post on a thread here and link the photo that I took to my post-

thank you in advance and I love these forums and all you great people-nothing like talking about my fav topic=golden age comics!

cheers

Dear G.A.tor,

In the last few years several more Suspense Comics #3 have been certified but they have mostly been low grade or restored copies. There still seems to be very few that are high grade or approaching high grade - according to CGC only one 7.0 (Crowley) and an 8.0 (Crippen). Are there any unslabbed copies that you know of that are high grade? I've heard there is no Mile High copy.

Much thanks!

questions for Mr. gator

hi gator new to these boards-pleasure to meet you-heard you are an expert on all things wonder woman-looking to buy a sensation 1, no restoration, about a 3.0-6.0 slabbed. you got an extra one floating around you want to sell? :D

question 2-ive got the tech skills of an infant. have no idea how to post a picture of one of my books on these forums so I figured while im at it I would ask you-im sure its easy and everyone but me knows how to do it-ive seen all the wonderful pictures of peoples books on these boards and would like to take a picture and share a couple of mine-

how do I do that-I have an iphone and can take a picture of my comic but then how do I post on a thread here and link the photo that I took to my post-

thank you in advance and I love these forums and all you great people-nothing like talking about my fav topic=golden age comics!

cheers

1- good choice. High Demand book right now. 2 months ago I could have sold you a copy. Uncortunately all mine are gone. But patience will pay off. Plenty of copies out there

2- goto photobucket.com and sign up. That easy

Dear G.A.tor,

In the last few years several more Suspense Comics #3 have been certified but they have mostly been low grade or restored copies. There still seems to be very few that are high grade or approaching high grade - according to CGC only one 7.0 (Crowley) and an 8.0 (Crippen). Are there any unslabbed copies that you know of that are high grade? I've heard there is no Mile High copy.

Much thanks!

Chuck told me there is a suspense 3 mile high copy. He didn't list it in his initial catalog, though but he couldn't recall details, but thought it had sold pre catalog

Outside of that potential book, I've never heard of or seen a high grade copy

Dear G.A.tor,

Much thanks!

Chuck told me there is a suspense 3 mile high copy. He didn't list it in his initial catalog, though but he couldn't recall details, but thought it had sold pre catalog

Overstreet's copy is now understood to have been the Church copy. It is believed to be approximately a 9.4 and was sold by him before the large sale of his collection to Geppi.

Dear G.A.tor,

Much thanks!

Overstreet's copy is now understood to have been the Church copy. It is believed to be approximately a 9.4 and was sold by him before the large sale of his collection to Geppi.

Good info.