• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,544 posts in this topic

There's another very high grade copy. The owner posted it on the boards quite a while back. Looked at least a 9.0. Likely higher. I don't remember all the details but I remember that other board members could vouch for the copy.

Edited by Rip

Dear G.A.tor,

In the last few years several more Suspense Comics #3 have been certified but they have mostly been low grade or restored copies. There still seems to be very few that are high grade or approaching high grade - according to CGC only one 7.0 (Crowley) and an 8.0 (Crippen). Are there any unslabbed copies that you know of that are high grade? I've heard there is no Mile High copy.

Much thanks!

Chuck told me there is a suspense 3 mile high copy. He didn't list it in his initial catalog, though but he couldn't recall details, but thought it had sold pre catalog

Outside of that potential book, I've never heard of or seen a high grade copy

Overstreet's copy is now understood to have been the Church copy. It is believed to be approximately a 9.4 and was sold by him before the large sale of his collection to Geppi.

Around 20 years ago, I was told that the MH Suspense 3 was owned by a collector named Magic Woo. Anyone else hear that?

Dear G.A.tor,

In the last few years several more Suspense Comics #3 have been certified but they have mostly been low grade or restored copies. There still seems to be very few that are high grade or approaching high grade - according to CGC only one 7.0 (Crowley) and an 8.0 (Crippen). Are there any unslabbed copies that you know of that are high grade? I've heard there is no Mile High copy.

Much thanks!

Chuck told me there is a suspense 3 mile high copy. He didn't list it in his initial catalog, though but he couldn't recall details, but thought it had sold pre catalog

Outside of that potential book, I've never heard of or seen a high grade copy

Overstreet's copy is now understood to have been the Church copy. It is believed to be approximately a 9.4 and was sold by him before the large sale of his collection to Geppi.

Around 20 years ago, I was told that the MH Suspense 3 was owned by a collector named Magic Woo. Anyone else hear that?

yes, I "very recently" heard that too (thumbs u

questions for Mr. gator

hi gator new to these boards-pleasure to meet you-heard you are an expert on all things wonder woman-looking to buy a sensation 1, no restoration, about a 3.0-6.0 slabbed. you got an extra one floating around you want to sell? :D

One just popped up in the marketplace.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6966374

questions for Mr. gator

hi gator new to these boards-pleasure to meet you-heard you are an expert on all things wonder woman-looking to buy a sensation 1, no restoration, about a 3.0-6.0 slabbed. you got an extra one floating around you want to sell? :D

One just popped up in the marketplace.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6966374

How about that for timing :angel:

yes, I "very recently" heard that too (thumbs u

That is one of several high grade copies Magik owns.

He had at least 5 copies last time I talked to him (which was many years ago though) including the copy from the Gerber guide (may or may not be the Overstreet copy).

Hi Gator, I was wondering if you had any insight as to why Fantastic Comics #3 is so friggin' hard to find. I had heard Metropolis was buying up whatever copies they could find, but I don't know how accurate that was. Is there a Mile High (or any other high grade) copy of that Lou Fine gem lurking around?

Is it possible that, like Suspense #3, there's a few waiting to hit the marketplace despite the scarcity?

Thanks!

Edited by Legion of Goom

Never saw much posted on sales at the major cons this year. How were sales at San Diego and Chicago?

With those behind you, any plans for a nice sales thread in the near future?

Sorry...been so busy at cons. Sdcc was average, but Chicago was a huge sales wise

Hi Gator, I was wondering if you had any insight as to why Fantastic Comics #3 is so friggin' hard to find. I had heard Metropolis was buying up whatever copies they could find, but I don't know how accurate that was. Is there a Mile High (or any other high grade) copy of that Lou Fine gem lurking around?

Is it possible that, like Suspense #3, there's a few waiting to hit the marketplace despite the scarcity?

Thanks!

metro has bought many many copies of fantastic 3... Early fox books are relatively scarce anyway. I've owned 3 copies in last 2 years so they are out there but mostly mid grade or restored

Thanks!

metro has bought many many copies of fantastic 3... Early fox books are relatively scarce anyway. I've owned 3 copies in last 2 years so they are out there but mostly mid grade or restored

I think I remember jbcomicbox showing an awesome copy of Fantastic #3 a while ago. I think it was the Church or Larson.

Thanks!

I think I remember jbcomicbox showing an awesome copy of Fantastic #3 a while ago. I think it was the Church or Larson.

It is the Church copy. JB was kind enough to bring it to my house for a geekfest a couple of years ago and we really enjoyed admiring it. Fresh as the day it hit the stands

here is BB Gun making a close inspection of it

p1010008-3.jpg

And here is Red Fury taking his turn

P1010012-2.jpg

Mr JB himself alongside Matt Nelson. JB is one of the nicest guys in the hobby and very generous with his collection

P1010009-4.jpg

Mr JB himself alongside Matt Nelson. JB is one of the nicest guys in the hobby and very generous with his collection

P1010009-4.jpg

I've never met him but have definitely enjoyed the pics of his collection and knowledge of Centaurs, etc... that he's shared on the boards.

I have the Larson - it has a few problems and doesn't come close to comparing to JB's Church copy, but it's a favorite nonetheless.

:cloud9:

I have the Larson - it has a few problems and doesn't come close to comparing to JB's Church copy, but it's a favorite nonetheless.

:cloud9:

I just did a search and saw where you posted your copy. What a great book.

I'm surprised you haven't sold it to Metro yet. :insane: