• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,544 posts in this topic

Gator, I passed this book by a couple of different times when it was a 9.2 but then bought it as a 7.5, after someone had ruined it. Will I ever-find a higher-grade copy?

PS - Why doesn't the Golden Age Flash's hat fall off his head when he runs?

:o 9.2 to 7.5 slide? Bad press damage? What happened?

bad press that split spine a bit

[font:Times New Roman]Nope. I've never owned that book, but I was offered it. I'll PM you & Jimbo with the details.

Trust me, the damage wasn't due to mishandling or a bad crack & press job.[/font] :gossip:

Gator, I passed this book by a couple of different times when it was a 9.2 but then bought it as a 7.5, after someone had ruined it. Will I ever-find a higher-grade copy?

[font:Times New Roman]Nope. I've never owned that book, but I was offered it. I'll PM you & Jimbo with the details.

Trust me, the damage wasn't due to mishandling or a bad crack & press job.[/font] :gossip:

ok now Im suuuuuuuper intrigued.

I'd like a pm as well please.

I though that's what verzyl told me...I must be confused (shrug)

I'd like a pm as well please.

I'll skip the PM but I could use $50.

1. Mishandling? No. hm

2. Bad press? No. hm

3. Exposure to cosmic rays! :idea:

1. Mishandling? No. hm

2. Bad press? No. hm

Apparently the book became damaged in shipping at some point because the earliest CGC holders, like the one it was in, permitted some movement of the books. I think that design flaw was fixed pretty early on, but not quite early enough to save this book. And it's not a bad book, so "ruined" was probably too strong a term. I'm really just frustrated that I didn't buy it back in the Nick Cage auction, when it first caught my eye.

I remember verzyl telling me about the "split", so I extrapolated and erroneously remembered as a spine split from pressing, versus a split within the slab... I was close lol

Gator,

Now that we have record of one mistake will we ever be able to trust any of your answers?

R

1. Mishandling? No. hm

2. Bad press? No. hm

Apparently the book became damaged in shipping at some point because the earliest CGC holders, like the one it was in, permitted some movement of the books. I think that design flaw was fixed pretty early on, but not quite early enough to save this book. And it's not a bad book, so "ruined" was probably too strong a term. I'm really just frustrated that I didn't buy it back in the Nick Cage auction, when it first caught my eye.

Interesting. Thanks for the info. Something bad seems to have happened near the top staple.

1. Mishandling? No. hm

2. Bad press? No. hm

Interesting. Thanks for the info. Something bad seems to have happened near the top staple.

The date of the slab was 8/17/2002, right before the Nick Cage auction. I think they had tightened up the slabs somewhat by then. (My oldest slab is dated 5/5/2000, and it looks like there's a plastic shim in there to keep that book in place!) It's possible that the Catman 26 wasn't cut perfectly rectangular, and that some gaps around it allowed the pages to slide away from the cover, causing a tear at the upper staple. (I think the CGC now actually forms the inner well to the shape of the comic, even if the comic isn't perfectly rectangular.)

WFC #3?

I have a customer that has a 7.0 copy he would entertain selling.

I know....we discussed this last page :facepalm:

I was hoping you would sent me more info by PM as previously requested Sir!

Thanks! (thumbs u

ugh-still don't get it re: posting a picture on here that I take with my iphone-i guess im stuck in the 50's with the electric typewriter. "hangs head" even 8 yr old girls have better tech abilities then I do-signed up an account with photobucket but still don't know how to take a picture that I take with my iphone and post it onto one of these threads? can you walk this lost soul through the process 9i will share pretty pics with you)-are all you guys just that dam smart, or am I that dumb...hey, don't answer that! just having some fun but any help would be appreciated it-its not fair that you all have shown me yours but I cant show you mine :)

WFC #3?

I have a customer that has a 7.0 copy he would entertain selling.

I know....we discussed this last page :facepalm:

I was hoping you would sent me more info by PM as previously requested Sir!

Thanks! (thumbs u

I no longer have the book but if you want me to forward an offer shoot it to me (via pm or here) (thumbs u

ugh-still don't get it re: posting a picture on here that I take with my iphone-i guess im stuck in the 50's with the electric typewriter. "hangs head" even 8 yr old girls have better tech abilities then I do-signed up an account with photobucket but still don't know how to take a picture that I take with my iphone and post it onto one of these threads? can you walk this lost soul through the process 9i will share pretty pics with you)-are all you guys just that dam smart, or am I that dumb...hey, don't answer that! just having some fun but any help would be appreciated it-its not fair that you all have shown me yours but I cant show you mine :)

Email the pic from your iPhone to a computer and then create a photobucket account and follow the simple upload procedure (thumbs u

Email the pic from your iPhone to a computer and then create a photobucket account and follow the simple upload procedure (thumbs u

even easier--download the photobucket app to ur iPhone and grab pics from your iPhone library to load to photobucket--then transfer from photobucket to a thread.

even easier--download the photobucket app to ur iPhone and grab pics from your iPhone library to load to photobucket--then transfer from photobucket to a thread.

Even easier