• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Disclosure - Yes Or No?

Should Marketplace sellers be expected to pro-actively disclose pressing in their threads?  

831 members have voted

1. 1. Should Marketplace sellers be expected to pro-actively disclose pressing in their threads?

1,107 posts in this topic

Enough piddle paddle.

Make it mandatory or go pay fees on a commercial & not a community site.

Mandatory.

& if it can be enforced fairly, then give it teeth.

Hey, where was the announcement that the on site pressing service was canceled? I brought books.

Don't make yourself a greater clown than we already know you to be.

Give it teeth, as someone once said.

Are you actually creating a public confrontation with me over the choices my friend made?

What are the assumptions behind your comment?

Don't you have anything productive to do with your day other than slither up next to me on the Boards?

No, no and no. I'm in all ill mood and trying to be civil and sincere only made it worse. You caught an offshoot of that before I nipped it in the bud by giving myself a time out. Bygones and all that.

I don't know why you would be worried about a Cease and Desist letter. The forum admins can set what ever rules and policies and when you sign up you agree to a contract and terms.

Without speaking for JTMF, I believe he is speaking about a C&D letter from an attorney representing someone who is complaining about something on the Boards. I have sent them before on precious metals UBBs, and got the offending material pulled by the mods.

There is a fine line though between what is libel and what is not.

If you are sitting there saying the guy is something he is not with alot of pointless facts that are untrue you may get away with that. But if you are stating a fact that can be backed up then they have nothing.

I find on these boards if someone is doing something wrong the proof will be shown eventually.

Sometimes some people are quick on the gun but the boards sort them selves out.

I don't think it would ever come to that point of having a letter being sent.

I don't disagree with you. The time I got involved, there was a very special whack-a-doodle who was posting in any message board he could find about bad activities allegedly perpetrated by my client. A brief factual summary, a terse C&D and knowledge of bulletin boards bolstered by my time here ( :blush: ) made short work of the posts.

I have only once had to deal with some very libel content about me and some guild mates along with other players in Everquest. I tried dealing with the site hosters themselves but they where a bunch of jerks about the whole thing and just screwing with people for the fun of it. It was a struggle because they where using our in game names and not our real names and I had to deal with the ISP/hosting site directly about the offending content and the fact that the ISP/hosting site terms stated that a client could not host content as such. The site ended getting closed down but it took like 2 months let alone even the ISP/hosting site at the beginining would not help stating that not real names where used but eventually they saw my point that only one person in game can be named a certain name so thus concluded that it violated its polocies because it was direct attacks on multiple individuals affecting them in game.

I don't know why you would be worried about a Cease and Desist letter. The forum admins can set what ever rules and policies and when you sign up you agree to a contract and terms.

The Forum admins also have to keep the interests of the folks paying the bills in mind.

Is that not the whole forum community for the most part? Or does it go by who is paying the most to them?

Well, no. The one who pays the bills is CCG. You or I don't even have to have a fee-paying subscription to the Collector's Society to be a part of the Boards. Im sure there are folks here who have been with us for months, if not years, who haven't spent a dime with CGG in any capacity.

Again, I'm just saying that there are other factors to consider here by mandating Disclosure, and how those things might play out.

As for disclosure in this open-to-the-public & feeless Marketplace, I vote for making it compulsory.

All Hidden Talents Should Be Fearless Before This Public.

The Forum admins also have to keep the interests of the folks paying the bills in mind.

Is that not the whole forum community for the most part? Or does it go by who is paying the most to them?

Well, no. The one who pays the bills is CCG. You or I don't even have to have a fee-paying subscription to the Collector's Society to be a part of the Boards. Im sure there are folks here who have been with us for months, if not years, who haven't spent a dime with CGG in any capacity.

Again, I'm just saying that there are other factors to consider here by mandating Disclosure, and how those things might play out.

Well with everything there will be those that will percieve it in a negative light and do what they can to screw with it. It is the job of the admins as I think you are trying to say to keep the piece and balance.

As for mandating disclosure I think in the end it will be a community based rule floating around in the background like how repro hose is to gijoes.

I don't think it should be included in the selling rules at all. Proactive disclosure should be voluntary, not mandatory.

Does that mean you voted "no" in the poll? I ask because the question text didn't include the "mandatory" bit, yet FT is using the poll results as a debating point as if it did.

I don't think it should be included in the selling rules at all. Proactive disclosure should be voluntary, not mandatory.

Does that mean you voted "no" in the poll? I ask because the question text didn't include the "mandatory" bit, yet FT is using the poll results as a debating point as if it did.

Yes, it does.

So that begs the question...given that we are supposedly a community and given that we are all fully aware of the 'issue' and given that a PM exchange asking 'the question' can cost you a chance at a book, should pro-active disclosure be expected...maybe even demanded...in the Marketplace?

I'm not taking it as read that we are all insisting that it's mandatory, but the possibility was in the original post.

I've asked a number of times 'how do we play this' and the responses have been sparce.

I would say, however, that if we're not going to try to make some case for compliance, what will instigate change?

I think people should be able to list in the Marketplace whatever comics they want, tag them with whatever prices they want, and disclose as much or as little of the known history of these comics as they want.

Two other viewpoints.

First, I'd like to see customers using the Marketplace be discreet about who they'll do business with. Some sellers in the Marketplace know how to grade properly but many do not, and I suggest every customer make decisions about whom they prefer doing business with on the basis of their judgement of the grading skills of each seller. Similarly, some sellers offer only unpressed comics, some a mix with disclosure of which are pressed, and many choose never to disclose. Once again, I suggest every customer use this information to decide with whom to do business.

Second, I'd like to see more frank discussion in the "discussion" thread in the marketplace on people's perceptions and experiences with sellers. Think a guy can't grade his way out of a paper bag? Post this opinion, please. Upset that a guy never offers disclosure about whether his stock is pressed or not, and then see a thread by the guy offering his pressing services to others? Post your opinion on this, please.

Let sellers do as they please when they come here to sell, but by all means select your favorites and unfavorites and don't keep your opinions to yourself. I'd hope that good business practices will engender good sales, and provide the motivation for sellers to grade their stock properly and sell their stock with full proactive disclosure.

I think people should be able to list in the Marketplace whatever comics they want, tag them with whatever prices they want, and disclose as much or as little of the known history of these comics as they want.

Two other viewpoints.

First, I'd like to see customers using the Marketplace be discreet about who they'll do business with. Some sellers in the Marketplace know how to grade properly but many do not, and I suggest every customer make decisions about whom they prefer doing business with on the basis of their judgement of the grading skills of each seller. Similarly, some sellers offer only unpressed comics, some a mix with disclosure of which are pressed, and many never mention it. Once again, I suggest every customer use this information to decide with whom to do business.

Second, I'd like to see more frank discussion in the "discussion" thread in the marketplace on people's perceptions and experiences with sellers. Think a guy can't grade his way out of a paper bag? Post this opinion, please. Upset that a guy never offers disclosure about whether his stock is pressed or not, and then see a thread by the guy offering his services in a pressing business? Post your opinion on this, please.

Let sellers do as they please when they come here to sell, but by all means select your favorites and unfavorites and don't keep your opinions to yourself.

If that was the norm, we'd probably have no requirement to insist on disclosure.

However, balance the drive to 'out' people with the fact that this is supposedly a community and not eBay. It's not that easy, is it?

Well, there's alot of sellers here that don't grade well and another bunch that don't disclose - won't do biz with either type. With that said, just as a seller's grading is not "legislated", it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to legislate disclosure.

Two other viewpoints.

First, I'd like to see customers using the Marketplace be discreet about who they'll do business with. Some sellers in the Marketplace know how to grade properly but many do not, and I suggest every customer make decisions about whom they prefer doing business with on the basis of their judgment of the grading skills of each seller. Similarly, some sellers offer only unpressed comics, some a mix with disclosure of which are pressed, and many choose never to disclose. Once again, I suggest every customer use this information to decide with whom to do business.

Second, I'd like to see more frank discussion in the "discussion" thread in the marketplace on people's perceptions and experiences with sellers. Think a guy can't grade his way out of a paper bag? Post this opinion, please. Upset that a guy never offers disclosure about whether his stock is pressed or not, and then see a thread by the guy offering his pressing services to others? Post your opinion on this, please.

Let sellers do as they please when they come here to sell, but by all means select your favorites and unfavorites and don't keep your opinions to yourself.

This is the best post in the entire thread. Now, I'm completely flummoxed.

I voted no thinking that very thing. I have since softened my stance but still don't like mandating disclosure of pressing. I have no problem with it but its just seems wrong. Maybe I have read too much Ayn lol

Well said Bob.

Two other viewpoints.

First, I'd like to see customers using the Marketplace be discreet about who they'll do business with. Some sellers in the Marketplace know how to grade properly but many do not, and I suggest every customer make decisions about whom they prefer doing business with on the basis of their judgement of the grading skills of each seller. Similarly, some sellers offer only unpressed comics, some a mix with disclosure of which are pressed, and many choose never to disclose. Once again, I suggest every customer use this information to decide with whom to do business.

Let sellers do as they please when they come here to sell, but by all means select your favorites and unfavorites and don't keep your opinions to yourself. I'd hope that good business practices will engender good sales, and provide the motivation for sellers to grade their stock properly and sell their stock with full proactive disclosure.

Well, there's alot of sellers here that don't grade well and another bunch that don't disclose - won't do biz with either type. With that said, just as a seller's grading is not "legislated", it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to legislate disclosure.

Grading and disclosure cannot be compared.

One is opinion.

The other is fact.

Two other viewpoints.

And can I also point out that many, many people have expressed concern regarding the potential 'meltdowns' and thread-crapping if we instigated mandatory disclosure.

I think that would be small potatoes compared to the thermo-nuclear blast that would follow slagging off somebody's grading.

Not saying I disagree, but pointing out that this is extreme.