• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Disclosure - Yes Or No?

Should Marketplace sellers be expected to pro-actively disclose pressing in their threads?  

831 members have voted

1. 1. Should Marketplace sellers be expected to pro-actively disclose pressing in their threads?

1,107 posts in this topic

I also think making it mandatory levels out the playing field for good and bad. It's like saying everyone is special, then in effect no one is. Some will only disclose becasue they got caught with their pants down. They are forced. Still does not make them honest.

And I agree we can never make anyone honest in their hearts.

But if we can ensure that a number of them (not all) have to behave here with honesty...I'm struggling for a downside?

I also think making it mandatory levels out the playing field for good and bad. It's like saying everyone is special, then in effect no one is. Some will only disclose becasue they got caught with their pants down. They are forced. Still does not make them honest.

But if we can ensure that a number of them (not all) have to behave here with honesty...I'm struggling for a downside?

Have you even asked ARCH about putting discloser in the market place rules? If you haven't this is all mute.

hm

Have you even asked ARCH about putting discloser in the market place rules? If you haven't this is all mute.

It's moot.

And no I haven't because this is still getting thrashed out.

However, if Arch doesn't feel comfortable with putting it in the rules, there are other ways of pushing for disclosure.

Folks can line-up here & sell free of fees, including free of paypal fees with personal options,

The following guidelines are now in effect. Over some period of time these may be modified or expanded.

9. List acceptable forms of payment (NOTE: Personal PayPal payment is NOT allowed as a listed option in your post as it is not appropriate for item purchases.)

Who reads the Rules? doh!

Have you even asked ARCH about putting discloser in the market place rules? If you haven't this is all moot.

It's moot.

However, if Arch doesn't feel comfortable with putting it in the rules, there are other ways of pushing for disclosure.

If he doesn't agree with it, there is no other way! It's not a good ideal to think you are better than the MODS. I for one will only disclose if ARCH agrees to put it in the rules or if someone ask me thats interested in the book. I was hoping Blazing Bob or foolkiller had something to say about this, they are both well respected members and I would like to hear what they thought.

Have you even asked ARCH about putting discloser in the market place rules? If you haven't this is all moot.

It's moot.

If he doesn't agree with it, there is no other way! It's not a good ideal to think you are better than the MODS. I for one will only disclose if ARCH agrees to put it in the rules or if someone ask me thats interested in the book. I was hoping Blazing Bob or foolkiller had something to say about this, they are both well respected members and I would like to hear what they thought.

Yes there is.

There is nothing to stop a post being made to the thread of the 'offending party', requesting disclosure. This would have to be civil and to the point, but it is simply a blanket way of 'asking the question'.

'Nice bunch of books! You may be aware that the community here is in favour of pro-active disclosure of pressing and with this in mind, could you identify which books you know have been pressed? Thanks!'

at some point, do we get to the point, that we just "assume" all books are pressed (shrug)

my solution (since it is unfortunately probable that no solution will ever be realized as compromise does not seem on the horizon from the "2 camps")...collect low grade and restored books like me, then a much higher probability that the books won't be pressed :headbang:

Folks can line-up here & sell free of fees, including free of paypal fees with personal options,

The following guidelines are now in effect. Over some period of time these may be modified or expanded.

9. List acceptable forms of payment (NOTE: Personal PayPal payment is NOT allowed as a listed option in your post as it is not appropriate for item purchases.)

The 15 or so sellers in the marketplace I send daily reminders to :whistle:

Personally I think a seller should be responsible for noting all important facts about a book which would included pressing. It should not be up to the buyer since not all buyers are aware of pressing. The whole buyer beware and buyer educating themselves is a crock of to hide behind for dishonest sellers. Yes yes a buyer should educate themseelves the best they can but not everyone can know everything. If they have never heard of pressing how would they even know about it so they can educate themselves on it. It is up to the community to share knowledge and to help teach others.

You realize that both pro presser and anti presser would gain from such a rule.

1. First it would educate those that are unaware about pressing and thus they could come to their own conclusion on the matter.

2. The pro presser would want to know if a book is pressed because they may want to press it.

3. The anti presser can stay away from pressed books.

Without the rule more people are getting screwed over that may not want pressed books in their collection and that includes all parties.

As I have mentioned before there is those that fight this when it would also benifit them and why in my mind think pressing is a negative thing. You can't have it both ways and if you try it sets off alarms that something is wrong.

There is nothing to stop a post being made to the thread of the 'offending party', requesting disclosure. This would have to be civil and to the point, but it is simply a blanket way of 'asking the question'.

'Nice bunch of books! You may be aware that the community here is in favour of pro-active disclosure of pressing and with this in mind, could you identify which books you know have been pressed? Thanks!'

Nick, then what is the stance if the seller doesn't address the question in their thread?

There have been rare situations on here where a seller will post very large photos to meet the board sales requirements. But then when they are asked for an exact grade, I've seen the question come and go without a response, and the seller keeps listing books.

Not expecting an immediate final answer to this scenario. Just something to consider.

The 15 or so sellers in the marketplace I send daily reminders to :whistle:

“Nothing makes one so vain as being told one is a sinner. Conscience makes egotists of us all.”

It's moot.

Yes there is.

That could be considered thread also! I will say it again if ARCH agrees Im all for it. If not, no. When people post that little MSG it could of the seller and all hell could break loose. If ARCH say no the issue should be dropped. CGC owns they Forums, not us they could easily take the Market Place away from us. How would you feel then (shrug) I know alot of people would not be happy. Remember its a privilege to post and sell here, not a right.

Nick, then what is the stance if the seller doesn't address the question in their thread?

There have been rare situations on here where a seller will post very large photos to meet the board sales requirements. But then when they are asked for an exact grade, I've seen the question come and go without a response, and the seller keeps listing books.

Not expecting an immediate final answer to this scenario. Just something to consider.

Without inclusion in the rules, there's not a lot that can be done.

However, the lack of response will certain highlight those who refuse to disclose (in the face of community wishes) and people can do what they want with that information.

However, the lack of response will certain highlight those who refuse to disclose (in the face of community wishes) and people can do what they want with that information.

That makes the most sense for a next step. It's also what I've seen happen with sellers posting photos and no grades, although sometimes it turns confrontational.

Without a designated board rules admin short of a mod, not sure there is more that can be done.

When people post that little MSG it could of the seller and all hell could break loose.

I'm sorry but off one seller because 194 community members have asked for disclosure is an equation I can live with.

You didn't answer my question. How would you feel if CGC took away the Market Place because people kept asking about books being pressed or not and the sellers hit the notify button to report them for thread and CGC gets sick of it. It would be easier for them to just do away with the Market Place. Just remember one of CGC sponsors is Classic Incorporated and I know they wont like this and will let CGC know.

That makes the most sense for a next step. It's also what I've seen happen with sellers posting photos and no grades, although sometimes it turns confrontational.

Without a designated board rules admin short of a mod, not sure there is more that can be done.

Aside from asking questions and hoping for an honest answer the only power you hold as a buyer is to keep your money or spend it elsewhere.

When people post that little MSG it could of the seller and all hell could break loose.

I'm sorry but off one seller because 194 community members have asked for disclosure is an equation I can live with.

You didn't answer my question. How would you feel if CGC took away the Market Place because people kept asking about books being pressed or not and the sellers hit the notify button to report them for thread and CGC gets sick of it. It would be easier for them to just do away with the Market Place. Just remember one of CGC sponsors is Classic Incorporated and I know they wont like this and will let CGC know.

As Classic Incorporated don't sell in the forum only Marketplace, I don't see that as a problem.

And CGC can take away the forum at any time for any reason. Down the years, it has created all sorts of krap and used many, many hours of Mod time. It is in CGC's interests to keep it there, just as it's in ours. Like any change, I would imagine there will be a bedding-in period, but like any other previous change, it all seems to work out in the end.