• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Disclosure - Yes Or No?

Should Marketplace sellers be expected to pro-actively disclose pressing in their threads?  

831 members have voted

1. 1. Should Marketplace sellers be expected to pro-actively disclose pressing in their threads?

1,107 posts in this topic

Does Overstreet have an official/unofficial position on disclosure? We keep hearing the percentages of the polls, but don't know what the voter turnout was (i.e. 5/10/15/20% of the boards voted). With the increasing number of boardie's who have become advisors in the last decade, it would be interesting to see how OS advisors who are members here voted as well.

And can I also point out that many, many people have expressed concern regarding the potential 'meltdowns' and thread-crapping if we instigated mandatory disclosure.

I think that would be small potatoes compared to the thermo-nuclear blast that would follow slagging off somebody's grading.

Not saying I disagree, but pointing out that this is extreme.

Well, that's what the "Discussion" thread is there for. :grin:

Indeed, I'll start the ball rolling by posting an opinion on a certain seller shortly.

And Bob's...

...as good as his word.

I have been wondering why there were so many no votes...it seems that here is a person who wants disclosure but does not want it forced.

So he voted no...

Makes more sense now....If ANYTHING makes sense anymore...

Perhaps we should just suggest teams...post your sales threads in Blue if you want to disclose and in Green if you don't...( I was going to say blue and red, but don't want to get political;) :tonofbricks:

The next logical step is to put up a poll about forced disclosure; having an actual rule that seller's must abide by. That is what the thread is leading up to after all.

See who's for. See who's against. See who wants ice cream.

Dear Comicwiz. The Overstreet point is not valid as overstreet considered pressing to be resto. And obviously restoration should be disclosed. You likely dont wanna open that can as well.

Got a quote on that? I thought he changed his stance on it a while back, but I forget.

Dear Comicwiz. The Overstreet point is not valid as overstreet considered pressing to be resto. And obviously restoration should be disclosed. You likely dont wanna open that can as well.

Got a quote on that? I thought he changed his stance on it a while back, but I forget.

He did. It was previously named as a restorative technique. It now reads...

'There is no consensus on the inclusion of pressing, non-aqueous cleaning, tape removal and in some cases staple replacement in this definition. Until such time as there is consensus, we encourage continued debate and interaction amongst all interested parties and reflection upon the standards in other hobbies and art forms.'

He's obviously never logged on here. :insane:

He did. It was previously named as a restorative technique. It now reads...

'There is no consensus on the inclusion of pressing, non-aqueous cleaning, tape removal and in some cases staple replacement in this definition. Until such time as there is consensus, we encourage continued debate and interaction amongst all interested parties and reflection upon the standards in other hobbies and art forms.'

He's obviously never logged on here. :insane:

And when you think about it, if the industry 'bible' (and when CGC have been around for 40 years, we can argue who's who) is saying 'the jury's out', pro-active disclosure is the only way to go...certainly until such time...if ever...a final decision is made.

I forget, did the coinees ever decide whether cleaning is fine? I know it used to put a bee up everybody's butt just like pressing does for us now. :eek:

What would that butt rate on a scale from 1 to 10?

Depends upon how many bees you're able to fit. :eek:

And when you think about it, if the industry 'bible' (and when CGC have been around for 40 years, we can argue who's who) is saying 'the jury's out', pro-active disclosure is the only way to go...certainly until such time...if ever...a final decision is made.

I don't think a final decision will ever be made unless pressing is found to be detectable with 100% accuracy.

And that will never happen.

I forget, did the coinees ever decide whether cleaning is fine? I know it used to put a bee up everybody's butt just like pressing does for us now. :eek:

Cleaning is not cool at all. For most, it's as bad as the number of bees you can fit up there.

Cleaning is not cool at all. For most, it's as bad as the number of bees you can fit up there.

I prefer clean coins that have not been cleaned. :grin:

What's that other thing they do--toning? I forget, I thought there was a second type of undetectable restoration.