• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Disclosure - Yes Or No?

Should Marketplace sellers be expected to pro-actively disclose pressing in their threads?  

831 members have voted

1. 1. Should Marketplace sellers be expected to pro-actively disclose pressing in their threads?

1,107 posts in this topic

And can I also point out that many, many people have expressed concern regarding the potential 'meltdowns' and thread-crapping if we instigated mandatory disclosure.

I think that would be small potatoes compared to the thermo-nuclear blast that would follow slagging off somebody's grading.

Not saying I disagree, but pointing out that this is extreme.

Well, that's what the "Discussion" thread is there for. :grin:

Indeed, I'll start the ball rolling by posting an opinion on a certain seller shortly.

As there seems to be vocal opposition to inclusion in the Marketplace rules (if Arch would even wear it), what about it being acceptable to post in a sales thread, asking which books have been pressed, if no statement is made proactively made? (shrug)

I have said all along that I don't mind for people asking. They are welcome to ask, but not for the sake of being an azz about it as some have done in the past. If you have a genuine interest in a book, then ask away. If you are doing it just to be a tosser, then then go squirt somewhere else besides my sales thread.

As there seems to be vocal opposition to inclusion in the Marketplace rules (if Arch would even wear it), what about it being acceptable to post in a sales thread, asking which books have been pressed, if no statement is made proactively made? (shrug)

I have said all along that I don't mind for people asking. They are welcome to ask, but not for the sake of being an azz about it as some have done in the past. If you have a genuine interest in a book, then ask away. If you are doing it just to be a tosser, then then go squirt somewhere else besides my sales thread.

Ah, it's the 'have a genuine interest in a book' that's going to be a problem, isn't it?

The board have voted by a landslide for proactive disclosure, but people are concerned about it being included in board rules. Therefore, I'm exploring other ways of ensuring that a statement is made by the seller in every thread, dealing with disclosure.

Asking regarding a specific book that you might want might also mean you're too late to the party to :takeit: it.

Asking regarding a specific book that you might want might also mean you're too late to the party to :takeit: it.

That could be the case in any sale for any reason; time payments, making an offer, back cover scan request, do you ship to the UK, will Duran Duran make another album and so on and so forth

That could be the case in any sale for any reason; time payments, making an offer, back cover scan request, do you ship to the UK, will Duran Duran make another album and so on and so forth

It was the case when I asked if a book was pressed a couple of weeks ago. The seller was offline at the time and when the seller returned and said the book was unpressed, I was at work so someone else took it.

Damn shame. :(

It was the case when I asked if a book was pressed a couple of weeks ago. The seller was offline at the time and when the seller returned and said the book was unpressed, I was at work so someone else took it.

What's the problem other than you missed out on a book? It happens to others for different reasons all the time.

I'm not asking as a form of individual_without_enough_empathyry, but as a genuine question. You could have been asking about anything and lost out to someone who was willing to take the book as posted.

What's the problem other than you missed out on a book? It happens to others for different reasons all the time.

I'm not asking as a form of individual_without_enough_empathyry, but as a genuine question. You could have been asking about anything and lost out to someone who was willing to take the book as posted.

Well, you're right.

But wouldn't it be nice if some of these roadblocks could be removed?

I think that we should be willing to disclose proactively here on these boards. We are all big boys, we know the deal with pressing. What I do not agree with is force. I feel that we should ASK that people be upfront, but forcing them may not end well here. :foryou:

The rules force people to provide a grade or a scan, force them to set a price and force them not to sell PGX books. The rules are what they are, so what is one more rule, if the community wants it?

I hadnt really looked at it that way. :idea:

Don't worry, it hasn't shattered my world but with all the times I've heard "why can't people just ask if it's been pressed" and "proactive disclosure makes no difference", I just thought I'd share a reason why it would have made a difference to me a couple of weeks back and other occasions in the past.

Sure there are other questions that could be asked and the result be the same. I often ask about how much is shipping to the UK but if it's a book that I really wanted and I trust the seller not to rip me off then I would just take it anyway if I was worried about losing the chance.

Please no!

Quite a few people won't shape internationally - I find that very strange.

Well, you're right.

Nicholas, it's only a roadblock if you care about the answer to the question. If no one else had been interested in the book, then Garry might have scored a purchase, but there was someone willing to take it without conditions.

Well, you're right.

Nicholas, it's only a roadblock if you care about the answer to the question. If no one else had been interested in the book, then Garry might have scored a purchase, but there was someone willing to take it without conditions.

Not necesarily true. The other person took it after the seller had answered my question in the thread but after I'd had to go to work so the buyer may or may not have been interested in the answer. (thumbs u

Quite a few people won't shape internationally - I find that very strange.

I find it strange that you're interested in international shaping.

Werewolves - it's a Lon Chaney thing.

Well, you're right.

Not necesarily true. The other person took it after the seller had answered my question in the thread but after I'd had to go to work so the buyer may or may not have been interested in the answer. (thumbs u

Oh well then, blame it on the time difference. What kind of rule can we come up with to remove that roadblock? :whistle: