• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Original Art to Superman #14 cover and Detective #69 cover in Nov/Dec CC auction

134 posts in this topic

I think they`re such incredible pieces that the final price will be "Did Not Meet Reserve".

Based on information supplied previously in the OA Forum that seems likely to me.

I think they`re such incredible pieces that the final price will be "Did Not Meet Reserve".

It wouldn't surprise me. Fair value on the Superman #14 cover should really be in uncharted territory for comic art. If the reserve is set to the piece's value, then we're going to have to make a leap or two to get it out the door.

Wow! That's incredible!

I think Gator needs that Superman 14 OA!

Don't think the Gator can outbid the Fish on this one

What I can't fathom is that the pages even made it to auction. Seems like the Fish would have jumped on them for his already incredible GA art collection (shrug)

Based on information supplied previously in the OA Forum that seems likely to me.

But have there really been too many high profile "did not meet reserves" at Comic Connect? Remember, these guys are the best mainstream marketers out there. If we start to see mainstream news on these pieces, I think that will indicate they have a high degree of confidence that the pieces are going to meet reserve.

Wow, i would give both my arms and legs for the Superman 14 cover. The fact that it exists at all is incredible, but to be one of the most iconic GA Superman covers of all time makes for a potent combination which will blow any previous $$$$ record for Comic book Original Art.

Clem

What I can't fathom is that the pages even made it to auction. Seems like the Fish would have jumped on them for his already incredible GA art collection (shrug)

That was the first thought that crossed my mind also Bill.

I'm guessing that Fishler has set a reserve on these with Jerry that is at least equal to what he would be willing to pay for them.

The Superman #14 cover has a real shot at the OA Cover record, but I don't think the Tec 69 cover is in quite the same class.

It's great, but if I was inclined for an early Tec Joker cover, I'd much rather have the #62 and I believe it could be obtained for less than the Bat #11 went for.

Obviously we don't know the reserve, but I could see the Superman 14 reaching from the mid 400k range to maybe low to mid 500k. The Detective maybe around 350k?

Regardless, just absolutely stunning that they are even up for auction, and wheather they sell or not, yet another in a long string of coups for comic connect. Just amazing.

It should be fun to watch.

Just curious...If Lehman College ever decided to part with the H.J. Ward Superman painting (to me an iconic piece if ever there was one) would that price potentially overtake this Supes cover art? Granted that it was not used as comic art (except as the cover for the 70s Treasury comic reproduced from a photo) but it is a painting and held a prominent place at DC themselves.

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/04/18/the-mystery-of-the-missing-man-of-steel/

Does anyone know if Robinson's other originals are coming up for auction? I remember when the exhibit of comic art showed at the Jewish Museum in Atlanta, a number of other pieces in the show were attributed to his collection. I seem to recall some nice GA splashes.

Seriously. This Superman #14 piece is in its own league. Most of the pieces that would really compare to it probably don't exist anymore.

Agreed, the Superman 14 cover is in a class of its own, nothing of this calibre has ever come up for public sale in comicbook original art.

Clem

Seriously. This Superman #14 piece is in its own league. Most of the pieces that would really compare to it probably don't exist anymore.

Agreed, the Superman 14 cover is in a class of its own, nothing of this calibre has ever come up for public sale in comicbook original art.

Clem

(thumbs u

Yep.

For my money, this is much more iconic than the WF #29 cover - though I wouldn't argue with people who want to claim otherwise.

The only thing that would be on par with this would be the cover from one of the big 6 GA Keys, or a small handful of Marvel SA Keys.