• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My local comic book store is closing....

45 posts in this topic

The problem at our local shops seems to have more to do with less people buying new books, toys and other "new" stuff. i.e. The economy.

Most of the guys seem to have more stuff coming in the front door than ever before because of the same.

Of course a lot of it is junk and stuff they don't want. But there has been a lot of vintage books walking in too. I've noticed more at shows also.

my 2c

Mine closed a little over a year ago :cry:

I was at the old owners house buying comics at a yard sale last weekend, they said they will open another one eventually. They continued to make money but the wife ran the place and didn't want to raise her baby in the comic shop so they closed it up. I guess when their child is old enough for school they'll open up shop again.

They continued to make money but the wife ran the place and didn't want to raise her baby in the comic shop so they closed it up. I guess when their child is old enough for school they'll open up shop again.

Our husband-wife comic shop did the same thing 4 years ago. I just found out recently they reopened, but in their garage which they setup with shelves and display stands.

It's saving them quite a bit of money, but not sure I'd want everyone coming to my house to buy comics.

It's sad to see good LCS go, especially when worse than useless ones - my local Forbidden Planet - are still there taking up useful property space.

For a moment there, I thought you were refering to Forbidden Planet as an LCS...

From experience their only contribution to the hobby is to significantly reduce the number of potential 9.0+ moderns entering the market.

It's essentailly a ToysRus for grown ups (With an optional reading isle).

What's worrying is that with the slow decline of decent stores for some people FP might be their only local option for new releases.

I visited my home town of Middlesbrough at the weekend and was upset to see the window of Books n' Comics (A store where I had spent a significant amount of my time and money as a teen) to be closed down. Not sure when it went as I rarely visit Boro anymore.

If the store owner (Who's name I'm also quite upset to think that I've forgotten) is anywhere on these boards, I sincerely wish him well for the future in whatever he does.

The comic shop out of the garage actually sounds like a great idea if you have a 2-3 car garage and a regular door (so you don't have to keep the garage doors open during bad weather) provided the garage is close to the street (so someone doesn't have to walk 100 feet into your property to get to it). of course, neighbors may complain about a store if you're not zoned for commercial, etc. and I'd be loath to have any particularly good books on display. Fact is, comic shops have to pay rent 24/7, but the reality is, unless the shop is in a very busy commercial area where people stop by during lunch or whatever, they're going to do the vast majority of their business from 3 - 7:30 p.m. (depending on when local schools let out) and probably don't need to be open 6-7 days a week either.

Just spoke to Rob and he is still open clearing out inventory... some at 50%.

I might pay him a visit next week.

All his good silver/bronze was gone long ago.

I didn't know him long but really liked his style and the small interesting store on Bloor St.

It is sad. :sorry:

Good luck to you Rob and your I hope someone posts up information about the online shop you intend to set up. :foryou:

A shop nearish to me closed recently too. Owner said not enough people buying. Had a sale, but a lot of the stuff was priced aggresively to start with, so even at 25-50% off, not such great deals. He might have sold more had he not had stuff up on the wall for 2 - 8X FMV (and probably multiples of overstreet), but it probably wouldn't have made a huge difference in the long run. I walked in there a couple of years ago and just turned around when I saw those prices. Even though he's a funny guy, I didn't feel like haggling with him and explaining how his VG books are graded as VFs, so his 50% doesn't help me much, etc. but I didn't want to offend him because he actually had some decentish stuff in his 50 cent boxes and he was giving them to me cheap.

The other shop I've been working on along the schlep to my mother in law is now having second thoughts about shutting down (so much for me clearing him out) as he has no idea what he'd do with himself. I think I worked that for what I could.

With that closure, now the three shops closest to me basically live off sales of toys, TPBs and new stuff. 2 of them have a decentish pile of longies with 50 cent overstock, but none take back issues/vintage stuff seriously, with just a smattering of stuff to decorate the walls and such and no SA, barely any BA.

One place I used to hit in Sheepshead bay closed up last year. That place was dead, the books were overpriced (even at half off) and most of the wall books were sun bleached. With that said, I wish I had been around the last couple of weeks, he did have some decent $5-$20 on the walls and in the bins books he may have unloaded for a song.

weird sort of place, overpriced books on the wall, but he had $2 grab bags and I fished a coverless sea devils 1 out of there and some other interesting stuff.

There's a place a little bit out of the way for me that keeps weird hours and looks like it may have a lot of interesting older stuff, but they're run by russians and the chances of me being able to haggle a good deal on good stuff out of russians is about zero in a million.

... my shop closed 3 weeks ago : (

My 2nd closest LCS proprietor passed away about 2 weeks ago. He outlived his wife by about 3 years. Not sure if his daughter will try to take over the shop as she has a daughter herself to look after or just let the lease run out to the end of the year. He was 1 of the few stores that took SA or GA on consignment or help others eBay them to spruce up his shop and bring more foot traffic. (thumbs u

Just about every comic shop I pass through is focused entirely on new comics, trades, and toys. They will have wall comics, early 90's Image variants and maybe a handful of Copper/Bronze, always at insane prices. I know of one shop that looks like it might have a good back issue section, but again, insane prices and nothing high grade. Also impossible to navigate the place. On FCBD they have like 50% or 75% off all back issues though, and it becomes a pretty decent deal.

It's becoming harder and harder for the LCS to even get their hands on older collections because people have other ways of selling their comics with higher ROI.

And that's somehow a *bad* thing? :tonofbricks:

I applaud the various internet commerce sites that allowed the general population to sell their collectibles, rather than being ripped off by a dealer.

It's becoming harder and harder for the LCS to even get their hands on older collections because people have other ways of selling their comics with higher ROI.

And that's somehow a *bad* thing? :tonofbricks:

I applaud the various internet commerce sites that allowed the general population to sell their collectibles, rather than being ripped off by a dealer.

I spoke with a coworker yesterday about the same thing. His Father and Uncle had quite a collection of runs (FF #1-up, X-Men #1-up, etc.). His (ex)Aunt (in-law) sold them to a shop several years ago for $400! doh! He was told that the dealer bought a house with what he made off that collection. All my coworker has left is a copy of Avengers #1 and Tales of Suspense #39, which were at his Dad's house when the scandal took place. He was generous enough to bring them to work and let me read them. :headbang: However, they're not for sale. :cry: Family heirlooms and all...

My local shop seems to price most of their back issues slightly BELOW guide. Any books I've bought off them seemed like a good deal whenever I get home and check the guide on it. I don't know how they price keys and GA stuff tho, most of the higher end books are Marvels and I'm a DC guy (shrug)

I spoke with a coworker yesterday about the same thing. His Father and Uncle had quite a collection of runs (FF #1-up, X-Men #1-up, etc.). His (ex)Aunt (in-law) sold them to a shop several years ago for $400! doh! He was told that the dealer bought a house with what he made off that collection. All my coworker has left is a copy of Avengers #1 and Tales of Suspense #39, which were at his Dad's house when the scandal took place. He was generous enough to bring them to work and let me read them. :headbang: However, they're not for sale. :cry: Family heirlooms and all...

Now that stings. With stories like that, it's no wonder people won't trust one another.