• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When did you join eBay...?

79 posts in this topic

May, 1998, here are some memories:

- hosting your own pictures (on dial up), finding webspace and using ftp, this was a major barrier to entry for many sellers.

- sending cash wrapped in tinfoil

- buyers and sellers emails were displayed

- most people had never heard of ebay

- 5$ to get people signed up for paypal, made like $200 on that one

- going to local auctions and sales, and not being surrounded by 50 other ebayers.

Anyone else have any?

- hosting your own pictures (on dial up), finding webspace and using ftp, this was a major barrier to entry for many sellers.

I remember that - I managed to get one or two scans loaded to the limited webspace provided by my internet carrier/phone company. What a pain, and I never did figure it out. :eek:

November, 1997. That picture problem was solved for me by the fact that I didn't have access to a scanner or camera! My brother was on AOL, so the hosting problem wasn't as much of an issue once I actually got pictures. That was the one good thing about AOL.

- sending cash wrapped in tinfoil

- buyers and sellers emails were displayed

- most people had never heard of ebay

- 5$ to get people signed up for paypal, made like $200 on that one

- going to local auctions and sales, and not being surrounded by 50 other ebayers.

Anyone else have any?

The place was flooded with bootleg stuff, from designer clothing to DVD's. And you had about a 50-50 chance of anything actually showing up.