• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is your FIRST introduction to the Marvel Silver Age?

60 posts in this topic

ok gents....start your nostaligia/engines...... what's the first time you saw 'silver age' marvel and knew you were hooked?

mine is seeing 'crazy' yellow costumed DD and wondering 'what have I missed?!?!'

let's hear your first 'sighting' of the Hulk or Silver Surfer. orrr....annnd......GO!!!!

I started collecting in the bronze age era and one year I got to go to whatever the comic con in NYC was called at the time. Think it was around 1978. Never knew the difference between eras and then I saw a Silver Surfer #8 and had to have it. Cost me $5 at the time. I thought it was the greatest purchase of all time. I even put it in a picture frame and had it hanging on my bedroom wall.

For me it was a Doctor Strange #169. Around 1983 (had been collecting moderns with my godson at his request since 1981) Million Year Picnic in Cambridge, MA had several essentially 9.4 or better grade sitting in a spinner rack for very cheap. I bought a few. Read one and went back and bought a few Hulk #102 from the same rack for cheap. From there I hit the pre-hero (but with heroes) titles from the SA and also ASM. Tried X-Men but really did not like them. Ultimately the Strange Tales, Tales to Astonish etc., with their back stories, led me to true pre-hero Marvels.

A year or so thereafter I found a few boxes of pre-code horror under the back issue racks at The Outer Limits in Waltham, Ma. Was hooked then on both pre-hero Marvels and pre-codes.

hm

I think the first silver age book I saw was Cap #100.

The first silver age book that I saw as a collector...?

hm

I honestly don't remember.

I remember my first SA Bats was #190. Still have it.

Lessee....it would probably have been a random book.

Wait! I remember now. My first SA books were Spidey #17, #40, and a couple of others. Beat to heck, but I traded a New Mutants #90 and #91 for them.

:)

Silver Surfer # 1, bought it at a comic shop for $20 and then sold it on ebay the following week for $140...of course I read it in between. Prior to that I don't think I'd actually ever seen a Silver Age comic or even knew they were called Silver Age....but I learned pretty quick. The market around here for cheap easily flippable SA books was uber hot about eoght years ago. I could buy one book, sell it and then clean out an inventory of a shop the next visit.

The first Marvel book I remember wasn't even a comic. It was a coloring book of Captain America fighting A.I.M. Cost me 29 cents. That night, we went to see a great new movie- The Sound of Music.

I didn't really get into Marvel until the cartoons came out around 1966.

I don't even think I owned a Silver Age comic before just recently. Wait, is X-Men #43 Silver? I have had that one since I was a kid. Got it in a bargain bin :D

I had known about AF 15 and all that when I was a kid, but there was no way for me to get them and I wouldn't have had the money anyway. My only experience reading Marvel Silver would have been those Masterworks reprints, which I didn't really like as much as I thought I would.

Warlock 6 that my dad took away from a kid at school and gave to me. It was great to be a principals son.

hm.....SA.....

Quartet bin tta 82 with iron man and subbie fighting on the cover at Golden age collectibles in Seattle (pike place market) was memorable.

This is going to make a lot of people laugh...first SA book I ever saw was the first SA book I've ever owned...a Fantastic Four #5 which I bought from Banner in 2003 right here on the boards doh!

This is going to make a lot of people laugh...first SA book I ever saw was the first SA book I've ever owned...a Fantastic Four #5 which I bought from Banner in 2003 right here on the boards doh!

You could do a LOT worse than FF #5 as your first SA book. I wish I had a copy. I got into comics after being introduced to Spider-man through those wonderful 1966 cartoons. My first SA comic was an ASM #40 in about 5.0 that I paid maybe $10 for back in about 1986. That was the first wall book I ever bought and I still have it. One of the best covers and stories ever.

Back in the mid 80's. TheLCS bought a collection somewhere and had a bunch of silver x-men in a spinner rack, unbagged and in crappy shape but had their covers and all story pages. Had the prices written in pencil on the splash page!! I bought a #10, 12, 20, and 22...I think they were like 50 cents a piece.....

I somehow got an ASM 20 in like 1972. Beat up, but started a lifetime hobby.

Also remember buying an ST 109 from a kid for a buck in 1973, but I had to give it back because it his mom called my mom, it turns out it belonged to his big brother. Interestingly it took me 37 years to replace it. I just bought a real nice copy on ebay last week.

I still have the "Origins of Marvel Comics" I got for xmas in 1974, it is on the shelf at my workstation right now. Incredible book. One of my most prized posessions.