• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGX standards slipping?

39 posts in this topic

Thanks for taking the time to do that, very educational for the less-experienced (like me).

Using the same photo you can see what you get with a micro-trim. I used my kick-spoon mspaint skills (or "skillz" as my homies like to say) to point out the spot where the trim ends. You can see the edge is flat & clean up to that point (coming from the right) and then there's a subtle change in the contour. Just enough to keep it from being entirely straight, but you can also see wear to the left of the cutoff that isn't there on the right. I've seen this on several microtrimmed books, this is probably the same case.

Thanks for taking the time to do that, very educational for the less-experienced (like me).

Using the same photo you can see what you get with a micro-trim. I used my kick-spoon mspaint skills (or "skillz" as my homies like to say) to point out the spot where the trim ends. You can see the edge is flat & clean up to that point (coming from the right) and then there's a subtle change in the contour. Just enough to keep it from being entirely straight, but you can also see wear to the left of the cutoff that isn't there on the right. I've seen this on several microtrimmed books, this is probably the same case.

Dan is particularly anal in his visual assessments.

lol

While I noticed the same thing you pointed out, it's really impossible to say for sure what we are looking at given the bad, off angle photo.

Although considering the source(PGX) it is enough to warrant suspicion.

One thing I would bring up though is the term "Micro Trim".

To me this term was always limited to denoting "the trimming of a slivers edge off a cover to clean up a HG book." As opposed to trimming an entire outer edge off the comic.

A micro trimmed covers edge is quite minimal when compared to even trimming a tiny amount off the entire outer edge. The former being quite hard to detect, with the latter being quite easy.

Which makes me wonder if we all have the same mental picture of what micro trimmed means? And if my definition/understanding is way off when compared to everyone else.

(shrug)

While I noticed the same thing you pointed out, it's really impossible to say for sure what we are looking at given the bad, off angle photo.

To me this term was always limited to denoting "the trimming of a slivers edge off a cover to clean up a HG book." As opposed to trimming an entire outer edge off the comic.

A micro trimmed covers edge is quite minimal when compared to even trimming a tiny amount off the entire outer edge. The former being quite hard to detect, with the latter being quite easy.

Which makes me wonder if we all have the same mental picture of what micro trimmed means? And if my definition/understanding is way off when compared to everyone else.

(shrug)

Interesting. I had pictured micro trim being a sliver off the entire edge vs. a small portion.

I always assume someone used PGX because they know PGX will give them a higher grade. Possibly they submitted to CGC first, than PGX and went with the higher grade, which is almost always PGX. Even tho its a PGX, a higher grade is worth more than CGC vs PGX for the same grade.

Also, maybe that book was a 9.0 6 years ago when it was graded and stored very VERY poorly?

(shrug)

I guess it depends on who is doing the trim. I've seen a ton of books like this X-men where a sliver is gone from an entire edge or three - but just on the cover. I just assume those have been through Dupcak's hands at some point.

Is that what you're describing as a micro-trim?

This book is still bothering me. Look at the bottom edge of the browning across the top edge. Its clean. Like something else was sitting on this book. Maybe it was close to a direct light and the paper got baked. It sure is pretty brown. Maybe Ze-Man can chime in.

X-MENTOPEDGE.jpg

Someone hit the BIN on this at 18k doh!

No this was a few months ago.It sold for 6-7k lol

That X-Men 8.5 sold for $8G less than GPA. Should have gone with CGC on that book. Anyone wanting to save a little money by going with PGX is flat off their nut. :screwy:

This book is still bothering me. Look at the bottom edge of the browning across the top edge. Its clean. Like something else was sitting on this book. Maybe it was close to a direct light and the paper got baked. It sure is pretty brown. Maybe Ze-Man can chime in.

X-MENTOPEDGE.jpg

It must be a grungy dust shadow. Stored is a very dustry environment with that part of the top edge peeking out of a stack. Probably not foxing as foxing would not be in a straight line like that.

a) there is no feedback left by the "winner" on Ebay

b) so I am guessing the deal never went thru

c) the owner in Dubai may be consigning with Comicconnect. There is no reason or proof that the book is in the U.S. just because it is for sale at Comicconnect but if I am wrong about their policies...I am sure someone will correct me.

a) there is no feedback left by the "winner" on Ebay

b) so I am guessing the deal never went thru

c) the owner in Dubai may be consigning with Comicconnect. There is no reason or proof that the book is in the U.S. just because it is for sale at Comicconnect but if I am wrong about their policies...I am sure someone will correct me.

Sounds very plausible.

I found the first email. This is HIM not me talking. I think I mentioned something about having it here in the states :

---------------------

"Hi there! Thank you very much for your advise although listing this copy of X-Men was market tester more than an attempt to sell it. I wanted to gauge on any interest I might get and so far you are the only person to send me a message lol.

I purchased the book almost 2 years ago with plans of re-grading it with CGC. Unfortunately I was advised that I would get a much lower grade if I were to CGC it. Somehow I feel that a PGX 9.0 X-Men #1 has more appeal than a CGC 7.5 or 8.0 at best. I've sent in a dozen or so books to CGC and always get downgraded to what veteran experts like Matt Nelson and Vincent Zurzolo were sure are higher grades. Recently I had a Superman 1 restored by Matt who was certain it would grade a minimum of CGC 5.0 restored. It returned a 3.5 which was incredibly disheartening to say the least. It looks nothing like a 3.5."

Hell, thats nothing!

Theres two 1.8 AF 15's on CL right now, 1 is PGX, the other CGC. Granted it's a HORRIBLE pic but do these books look even remotely close in grade??? The PGX spine and top corner are DESTROYED! The PGX 1.8 looks practically as bad as any .5 AF 15 i've ever seen

CGC 1.8, a nice respectable looking book

jason1.jpg

PGX 1.8, disgusting looking book I would NEVER pay money for

jason2.jpg

How can those books be the same grade even by PGX's crappy standards?!?