• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you check your grades online?

159 posts in this topic

Well my books finally got graded. I am very upset with the results. First let me say that every book I have ever sent in with major defects has come back at a higher grade than what I thought it was. So I am not over-estimating or hoping for grades.

I have seen a Savage She-Hulk in a 9.8 with spine ticks visible through the case.

I have 9.8's in my posession that have minor flaws on a corner I have a 9.2 with 6 spine ticks in OW/W pages.

Now my ASM 238 came back with WHITE pages at a 9.2!!!!!!!!! I am pissed, the book has never been read, no stress around staples, you could paper cut yourself with the corners, no spine ticks, utterly flawless. I was expecting a 9.8 and hoping for a 9.9 or 10.

My X-Men 248 came back as a 9.6 and I CAN SEE FLAWS ON IT!!!!!

The only good thing is every book but two came back with WHITE pages

Well my books finally got graded. I am very upset with the results. First let me say that every book I have ever sent in with major defects has come back at a higher grade than what I thought it was. So I am not over-estimating or hoping for grades.

I have seen a Savage She-Hulk in a 9.8 with spine ticks visible through the case.

I have 9.8's in my posession that have minor flaws on a corner I have a 9.2 with 6 spine ticks in OW/W pages.

Now my ASM 238 came back with WHITE pages at a 9.2!!!!!!!!! I am pissed, the book has never been read, no stress around staples, you could paper cut yourself with the corners, no spine ticks, utterly flawless. I was expecting a 9.8 and hoping for a 9.9 or 10.

What books and grades did you get back? Let's see a list...

Well my books finally got graded. I am very upset with the results.

9.8s are not perfect books; if the corners and the remainder of the book are very tight and 1-2 tiny spine tics are the only defect, that is acceptable.

I have 9.8's in my posession that have minor flaws on a corner.

Also acceptable. 9.8s are not perfect.

I have a 9.2 with 6 spine ticks in OW/W pages.

It is a 9.2. It is supposed to have damage.

You must have missed something. It happens to us all.

You should be able to see the flaws on a 9.6. It is a 9.6.

You shouldn't be upset. You should keep learning and get better and better. If you want to keep submitting to CGC that is.

Wolverine 1 9.0 WHITE thought 9.0-9.2

ASM 300 8.5 WHITE thought 9.0

ASM 238 9.2 WHITE thought 9.8+

Hulk 340 9.2 WHITE thought 9.2

Wolverine 10 9.4 WHITE thought 9.2

X-Men 135 8.0 OW/W thought 8.5-9.0

X-Men 142 8.5 WHITE thought 9.2+

X-Men 248 9.6 WHITE thought 9.2

X-Men 266 9.0 WHITE thought 9.2

X-Men 268 9.4 WHITE thought 9.2

Wolvy mini 1 6.5 OW/W (shipped the wrong book, this one had water damage my NM one is still in the box)

My last shipment was:

X-Men 3 5.0 CR/OW thought 3.0 it was in rough shape

X-Men 4 4.0 CR/OW thought 4.0 much nicer than #3

Iron Fist 14 9.2 OW/W thought 8.5-9.0

X-Men 1 SS 3.0 CREAM thought was a 2.0 at best, had it not already previously been signed by Stan Lee I would not have bought due to the condition

Apparently i was one of Danny's relatively lucky victims.

Not only did my book from him not get a PLOD, it seems Danny didn't realize the book he sold me was signed by Jack Kirby AND Stan the Man! (thumbs u

xmen2-1-2.jpg

Still not quite worth what i paid but the sigs are pretty cool to me even if not official.

Not only did my book from him not get a PLOD, it seems Danny didn't realize the book he sold me was signed by Jack Kirby AND Stan the Man! (thumbs u

xmen2-1-2.jpg

Still not quite worth what i paid but the sigs are pretty cool to me even if not official.

:applause:

Congrats!

Wolvy mini 1 6.5 OW/W (shipped the wrong book, this one had water damage my NM one is still in the box)

I have to ask ... why did you send these books to CGC in the first place? Even if every single one of these books had hit the grade you thought they'd be, it still wouldn't have been worth it to slab them in those grades (well, apart from the ASM #238) ...

I have to ask ... why did you send these books to CGC in the first place? Even if every single one of these books had hit the grade you thought they'd be, it still wouldn't have been worth it to slab them in those grades (well, apart from the ASM #238) ...

+1

Looks like a lot of nice books, but not anything to slab outside of the ASM 238

Well, I am trying to slowly acquire ASM and X-Men complete runs in a 9.2 or higher. of course the SA issues I am looking at a 4.0 or higher because of the cost.

What I do not understand is alot of 9.2 slabbed books I have seen I would have never considered a NM book had I seen them in a LCS in raw condition. And knowing of my own and others books that have been submitted as low grade books coming back much higher than expected, I decided to try my luck.

Like I said in my original post. The X-Men 142 only had 2 spine ticks, meaning I thought it was a 9.2, but seeing other 9.6 books in worse condition I was hoping for a 9.6 or higher.

ASM 300 I thought was a 9.0 because the corners were not sharp and it had one color break spine tick, once again, seeing books with more damage grading at 9.2 - 9.4 I was hoping.

I understand they are they experts, but I would love to see the notes on why defects invisible to me are more damaging than defects that are clearly visible to everyone.

So to answer the questions, ASM 238, X-Men 135 and 142 I thought would be much higher, the rest I was hoping they would get higher grades but the grades they got are good enough for me. And the Wolverine mini series was an accident, I did not mean to send that copy.

xmen2-1-2.jpg

Interesting,

I wonder if that book was one of the ones that he cracked out and sold as a higher grade? What did he grade it as in his auction....either way it's a pretty book, and the sigs are definately cool.

xmen2-1-2.jpg

Very lucky but in the slab you can't see the sigs. Did you take a pic before the slabbing? I would love to see the Kirby sig.

A small, two item submission, 1st time I ever opened the box without knowing the grades. No surpises, they graded exactly as expected, but it was fun opening the box without knowing. I don't think I can do this all the time. I'm too impatient.

003-1.jpg

A small, two item submission, 1st time I ever opened the box without knowing the grades. No surpises, they graded exactly as expected, but it was fun opening the box without knowing. I don't think I can do this all the time. I'm too impatient.

003-1.jpg

those books look great.

I do however hate "The Human Cobra" how on earth could a guy with cobra like powers compete with a God????????

003-1.jpg

Great submission, bob :applause:

Well, I am trying to slowly acquire ASM and X-Men complete runs in a 9.2 or higher. of course the SA issues I am looking at a 4.0 or higher because of the cost.

What I do not understand is alot of 9.2 slabbed books I have seen I would have never considered a NM book had I seen them in a LCS in raw condition. And knowing of my own and others books that have been submitted as low grade books coming back much higher than expected, I decided to try my luck.

Like I said in my original post. The X-Men 142 only had 2 spine ticks, meaning I thought it was a 9.2, but seeing other 9.6 books in worse condition I was hoping for a 9.6 or higher.

ASM 300 I thought was a 9.0 because the corners were not sharp and it had one color break spine tick, once again, seeing books with more damage grading at 9.2 - 9.4 I was hoping.

I understand they are they experts, but I would love to see the notes on why defects invisible to me are more damaging than defects that are clearly visible to everyone.

So to answer the questions, ASM 238, X-Men 135 and 142 I thought would be much higher, the rest I was hoping they would get higher grades but the grades they got are good enough for me. And the Wolverine mini series was an accident, I did not mean to send that copy.

Get GPA. Check and see the values of the books before grading. In the long rn you will save a MINT. I buy certain books from the copper age in 9.6 because I get them for less than paying to get them graded. Do your homework and enjoy the hobby. Slabs are addictive, but dont throw away money, you can score some great HG raw books here as well.