• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JP the mint does it again

55 posts in this topic

It will get pulled again. gossip.gif

Exactly. His story in the listing is so unbelievable as to be insulting. Does he really think comic collectors are that stupid? Well, of course he does...but you should have known that already if you've been a JP-watcher over the years.

"Last week ebay removed my copy of a very important book due to a text infraction. It seems that since I mentioned other superheros while writing about the history of this book, I was guilty of spamming."

It's obvious that it was pulled because someone, probably one of his pals and not even a coinee, reported the "pgcs" and "ngc" keyword spamming to get the listing pulled, either because the whole listing was just for publicity or because JP felt it would have looked bad if the book had, like all his other books, ended unsold too far below the reserve. This "no reserve" listing is a complete fantasy. It will only stay up at no reserve if the bids get high enough or JP gets indications that the final price will meet his targeted amount (or makes arrangements with a fellow dealer or customer to backstop him regardless of the closing price on eBay). Otherwise, he'll have one of his buddies pull the same keyword spamming trick and get the listing pulled.

Why do I say that? Because he simply can't afford to see this auction end at a "low" (to him) price. If his Spidey #1 CGC 9.6 ended at, say, $75,000 (just an example), suddenly his FF #1 CGC 9.4 doesn't look like a $150,000 book anymore (not that it did to anybody else). People's perception of the HG CGC SA Marvel keys market will be impacted and so will his inventory value and potential future profits. Of course, it won't end at $75K because even if there aren't any collectors presently looking to pay that amount, the dealers & BSDs will step up to help their buddy out and also to "protect" their own inventory/collection values and franchises. Josh will be there for sure, maybe Geppi will throw a few bids, etc. You should know the drill by now. Nobody gets a deal from JP, no reserve or not.

Before the BSD-worshippers (a.k.a. the "Star F893censored-thumb.gifers" - you know who you are, the sycophants who kiss BSD tail like teenage girls longing for the latest boy band idol) start pouncing all over me, know this - look back over my posts. I don't engage or take stock in the vast majority of conspiracy theories out there about the BSDs and CGC. However, what I'm saying here is nothing that other collectors haven't told me and hasn't come up as a topic of conversation at conventions. Not to mention, anyone who has watched even a handful of JP's auctions and glanced at his website once or twice, should have figured out the guy's modus operandi by now. Individuals even as disparate as Clobberintime and H**mer have also posted here about JP's attempts to alter people's perceptions of these HG books to inflate their values to make them attractive to moneyed coinees. Letting any of these books sell at unattractive values is NOT part of that plan.

Just to repeat: I'm not saying the listing will definitely be pulled or that the book won't fetch good money. However, there's no way it will stay up at no reserve unless JP has ensured himself, regardless of the closing eBay price, of the minimum (high) price he is looking for. He's already given himself the same potential out as the FF #1 with the keyword spamming.

Gene