• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fantastic Four 511...

18 posts in this topic

One of the few things I was able to do during my recent illness was read my preview copies of next week's books...

It's been three days, and I STILL don't know what to think of this book. On the one hand it's a powerfully moving tribute and a wonderful way for Marvel to give credit where it is due... On the other hand it is an unbelievably crass story that borders on both sacrilege and tripe...

Three days from now, I suppose you'll see what I mean, if you haven't already read the preview copy at your local shop. I just don't know. My initial reaction was all positive. Then I started telling a buddy about the book and I just didn't feel as good about it. The more I thought about it, the more befuddled I became. I wonder if this is one of those books that just isn't meant for a re-read...

Or maybe I just need another nap... confused-smiley-013.giftongue.gif

One of the few things I was able to do during my recent illness was read my preview copies of next week's books...

It's been three days, and I STILL don't know what to think of this book. On the one hand it's a powerfully moving tribute and a wonderful way for Marvel to give credit where it is due... On the other hand it is an unbelievably crass story that borders on both sacrilege and tripe...

Three days from now, I suppose you'll see what I mean, if you haven't already read the preview copy at your local shop. I just don't know. My initial reaction was all positive. Then I started telling a buddy about the book and I just didn't feel as good about it. The more I thought about it, the more befuddled I became. I wonder if this is one of those books that just isn't meant for a re-read...

Or maybe I just need another nap... confused-smiley-013.giftongue.gif

I was very very disappointed with it. I thought it was stunningly crass, and made the entire outstanding previous 15 issue story seem essentially meaningless. I do not understand what the point of doing it was, and I also don't understand how we are supposed to take it. It is as if Waid wrote himself into a corner and tried to "cute" his way out of it.

mad.gif

I'm trying to not submit spoilers here, but here's a hint. Go read Animal Man 26.

I agree. I haven't read 509 or 510 (am going to get them with my next order) but I was made uncomfortable with the "new" Doom torturing other members of the FF and then at the end of 508, Reed wanted to ressurect Thing? I am thinking I'm in a bad episode of Buffy: VS.

And 511 doesn't sound like it's going to be good either. tonofbricks.gif

made the entire outstanding previous 15 issue story seem essentially meaningless

It is as if Waid wrote himself into a corner and tried to "cute" his way out of it.

I just read it, and I think Donut hit the nail on the head w/ the above statements. The way it was wrapped up was more fit to be a goofy back-up story in an annual.

I'm glad I read Daredevil afterward. Solid as always.

made the entire outstanding previous 15 issue story seem essentially meaningless

It is as if Waid wrote himself into a corner and tried to "cute" his way out of it.

I just read it, and I think Donut hit the nail on the head w/ the above statements. The way it was wrapped up was more fit to be a goofy back-up story in an annual.

I'm glad I read Daredevil afterward. Solid as always.

I don't know that it was too "cute" or anything like that... hell, the way I looked at it, it was a refreshing change of pace from the new style "I AM HARDCORE COMIC WRITER MAN! I KILL CHARACTERS AND RESURRECT THEM IN IMPLAUSIBLE, YET QUASI-SCIENTIFIC WAYS!"

I thought it was a nice nod to a great man and a fun book that harkened back to simpler, if not better, times in comic storytelling. Christ, like the book hadn't been dark ENOUGH through Waid's run? You needed the FF to come blasting their way out of heaven, crawling over lifeless heavenly bodies and flipping off God, Jesus, and Ben's dead brother over their shoulder on the way back down?? wink.gif

Oh, and as far as having made "the entire outstanding previous 15 issue story seem essentially meaningless"... er, when did ANYTHING matter in a comic book from month-to-month? I mean, I was continually shocked that Reed's face stayed scarred for as long as it did. confused-smiley-013.gif

You might want to attach spoiler to subject. Some stuff has already been given away.

******Spoiler******

I don't know what to think either. On the one hand I think it is great that Waid is giving tribute to Jack Kirby and Stan Lee. On the other hand it could be taken the wrong way to those of us who are religious. I choose to not take Waid's interpretation as a shot at religious folk, but as his own way of paying tribute to the original 'Creators' of the Fantastic Four. I am glad God used his eraser to correct something that should have never been done in the first place. I honestly had a harder time watching 'The Passion of The Christ' because of all the blood and skin ripping than reading FF #510. However, I don't think either artist were intentionally seeking to offend. At least I hope that is the case.

I'm not religious, so I wasn't bothered by "blasphemy" or whatever implications along those lines which may offend others.

That said, I thought that the end of 511 was absolutely awful. Deus ex machina is one of my biggest pet peeves in any type of story and this was about as bad as it gets. Why go to the trouble to set up something as big as a visit to heaven if you have no intention of exploring anything that is remotely interesting about the concept?

I actually would've preferred "...then Reed woke up and it was all just a bad dream..." to that cutesy meta wink-wink [!@#%^&^].

It's going to be quite some time before I bother with Waid again.

I thought that Thanos kill the marvel universe thing was supposed to end all this temporary death thing. Once people died wernt they supposed to stay dead?

You guys are killing me. I've loved Waid's run on FF thus far and thought that the current storyline was great. I hope 511 isn't as bad as you guys are saying. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I haven't read #511 yet but I'm not liking the current storyline at all. Just a tad too "heavy" for my liking in a generic superhero comic....

Jim

You guys are killing me. I've loved Waid's run on FF thus far and thought that the current storyline was great. I hope 511 isn't as bad as you guys are saying. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I haven't read #511 yet but I'm not liking the current storyline at all. Just a tad too "heavy" for my liking in a generic superhero comic....

Jim

It's not. Ignore these heathens.

Jim

the ending is

"You guys are killing me. I've loved Waid's run on FF thus far and thought that the current storyline was great. I hope 511 isn't as bad as you guys are saying. "

It's really not too bad. A major plot tread was going to be resolved one way or another sooner rather than later(you can't sell ugly toys to kids....oops unless your name is mcfarland).

There is no serious disrespect shown to my religious belief(it's all abstract - everyone has their own vision of the afterlife...of course we each feel our view is probably better than the next guys'). It's a comic meant for entertainment. This is one KING that I don't worship, but, I do appreciate the tribute given in the book.

Well, I read it finally. It was ok, but I'd have to say that it was my least favorite Waid FF book thus far. I didn't mind the Jack Kirby thing, but the way the story wound up wasn't terribly clever. I expected better, frankly.

Jim

the ending is