• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best War Covers...

167 posts in this topic

owned by a friend of mine but he was nice enough to do a scan for me a while back.

720721-Big_Battle30.jpg

720721-Big_Battle30.jpg.07e7eedcca8f0609beef9ebb6c48bfdd.jpg

great cover! 893applaud-thumb.gif

had not seen this one before -- cause i would have remembered it.

when Russ Heath draws a tank, it friggin looks like a tank! the guy was/is phenomenal!

for Deathlok -- another scan from my friend. although it's too small to appreciate how cool it is. (it's another Heath).

720922-BattleFront26.jpg

720922-BattleFront26.jpg.8e746e09c2cf79cd80665b8c7357a543.jpg

This isn't the best war cover I've ever seen BUT, according to Overstreet, it IS the first War comic!

War Comics #1 (May 1940, Dell Publishing)

Gerber 6

I have it on loan so that I can consider purchasing it.

Oh here ye, here ye, ole experts on this board, what can ye tell me?

721090-WarComics1.jpg

re: Salida.

Yup.

More to come. I was at Bruce's store a couple weeks after he got them, but only picked up a couple. Just about all the war stuff had flown. I've picked mine up since then.

Nearmint: I love those Actions -- very fresh/pretty copies.

Nice looking copy -- and the back cover is a nifty bonus. I have a later issue of the series which has very cool Al McWilliams art. As far as whether to get it, that all depends on price.

For Pedigreeman:

There's a killer Infantino story inside, plus Gene Colan.

721126-SSWS18.jpg

721126-SSWS18.jpg.67f995a934320187d8b1caf0e7391979.jpg

Nice looking copy -- and the back cover is a nifty bonus. I have a later issue of the series which has very cool Al McWilliams art. As far as whether to get it, that all depends on price.

I have it from a dealer I do business with who happens to be a great guy, and is extremely fair. He wants me to name a price on this and a couple of other WWII propaganda books ("Remember Pearl Harbor" and "World Famous Heroes Magazine #1) he loaned me. This particular book is in very nice shape. I need to examine it and the others more closely to come up with an exact grade.

If anyone has a sense of prices with respect to Guide, i.e., 50% of Guide, 2x Guide, I welcome the observations.

This isn't the best war cover I've ever seen BUT, according to Overstreet, it IS the first War comic!

War Comics #1 (May 1940, Dell Publishing)

Gerber 6

I have it on loan so that I can consider purchasing it.

Oh here ye, here ye, ole experts on this board, what can ye tell me?

721090-WarComics1.jpg

I had a VG copy of this book that I sold to a friend,.... Christo_pull_hair.gif

.....I'm kicking myself now for doing this !!! sorry.gif

I had never thought about it being the best as there are hundreds I still I haven't seen. Even after I did see them all, I wouldn't be surprised if I ended up with the same opinion as you.

Here's another nice Heath.

721179-BattleGround5.jpg

721179-BattleGround5.jpg.ac4795460cac0cfa7c8cdcf46df9de26.jpg