• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best War Covers...

167 posts in this topic

Ok, I'm sure there's been one of these threads at some point, but a search by title for "War Covers" turned up nothing so here we go.

I've always had a huge interest in WWII. Now that you fine folks have piqued my interest in GA comics I've discovered that I can combine the two. Since I'm still new to the GA world though I was hoping that you guys could post some of your favorite war covers.

My primary interest in WWII is all the wonderful airplanes so this series definitely grabbed me quickly...

wings78.jpg

The B-17 is my favorite cloud9.gif

The Golden Age Have a Cigar thread has alot of great war covers posted. If airplanes are your main interest than Wings is a great title to collect - and fairly cheap as well. L.B. Cole did some beautiful WW2 airplane covers for Contact, Captain Aero and Captain Flight.

Here's a classic. Harley is selling this copy on Ebay right now. Mine's a little nicer, but still has the damage at the top. This book is oversized, and I've never seen a copy without the top 1/2 inch of the spine bent. 424445-usmab.JPG

424445-usmab.JPG.a9e46a748cd5b4a96afa2ce22c803806.JPG

Alright PedigreeMan... I went in search of some of these Flying Aces comics and I could find even a single issue on any of the sites that I know of that sell GA stuff. Do you have any idea where I can look for them at? And do you have any more covers to show us? grin.gif

smile.gif I'm glad you guys like! I'm usually quite reticent to show books from my collection on such a public forum, but once I read you wanted to see WWII airplane covers I just couldn't resist posting that Flying Aces #1.... shy.gif And then I realized the other two comics I posted were just too nice not to share, also! (I especially love the "wash effect" on the Navy Action.)

Apotheosis, I'm sorry but I don't know of any places you may be able to find copies of Flying Aces. confused-smiley-013.giffrown.gif War books aren't my speciality ... I just own a bunch of them because they were such a large part of my favorite pedigree!

As for more covers to show ...? I did a cursory look at my collection last night but couldn't find any other unique WWII airplane covers. There are a couple of cool Korean War era ones, though. Any interest?

Alan

I'm usually quite reticent to show books from my collection on such a public forum, but once I read you wanted to see WWII airplane covers I just couldn't resist posting that Flying Aces #1.... shy.gif

Why's that? Sharing our hobby/collections with other collectors is one of the best aspects of the board! thumbsup2.gif

I'm usually quite reticent to show books from my collection on such a public forum, but once I read you wanted to see WWII airplane covers I just couldn't resist posting that Flying Aces #1.... shy.gif

Why's that? Sharing our hobby/collections with other collectors is one of the best aspects of the board! thumbsup2.gif

Why? Because I'm a card-carrying member of the Comic Mafia, and we just don't talk about "this thing of ours." wink.gif

But seriously ... I'm just a fairly private person. And when I look and see over 2500 registered users here and lord-knows-how-many anonymous viewers on a day-to-day basis, it just sorta creeps me out that every one of them could potentially know what I own.

Weird? Probably .... shy.gifinsane.gif

Alan