• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Books to submit to CGC

75 posts in this topic

I am new also, similar background in collecting. I stopped in the mid 90's and just started buying collections again 2 years ago. Just got my premium account.

I sent in Iron Fist #14 I thought it would be a 9.0 but after seeing slabs and the PGM thread I think it will be a 9.2 maybe 9.4. I also sent in X-Men #3 and 4 for sentimental reasons.

Then I paid to send in the basic copper age keys that everyone has in high grades, Uncanny 136, 142, 248, 266, 268. Wolverine mini #1. Wolverine 1988 series #1 and 10. ASM #238 and 300. I expect a 9.6 or higher on each.

It may not have been wise to send in X-Men 3&4 because they will be low grade (4.0-6.0) considering I had better quality books not in modern teir I could have sent, but again it was free.

Had it not been free I probably would have never of had those two issues graded. and next year with my free ticket I will probably send in X-Men # 5,6 and 8. lol

I'm curious: why did you sign up for the Premium account when you didn't have any specific/high value comics in mind to submit?

While I don't have any "high value" SA or GA, that is not to say I don't have anything worth getting graded. Looking at the different membership levels, it just made the most sense, financially, to sign up for the premium account.

I hope this clears it up a bit for you on my thinking.

I'm curious: why did you sign up for the Premium account when you didn't have any specific/high value comics in mind to submit?

While I don't have any "high value" SA or GA, that is not to say I don't have anything worth getting graded. Looking at the different membership levels, it just made the most sense, financially, to sign up for the premium account.

I just hate to see people waste money. As you were...

$60K and can't spring for a CGC 9.0 Daredevil #7. I'm guessing you have lots of kids! :foryou:

sheeet, at $110K I can't afford all the books I want in high grade either! I could, but I like trying to put together runs, which doesn't come cheap in GA and early SA books.

I just hate to see people waste money. As you were...

I think so long as the submissions are over $300 the Premium account is worth it over the middle tier.

I am assuming that there is still plenty of time left to use those 3 freebies so there is no need to rush...a lot can change in your collection in the next 10 to 12 months so I wouldn't rush out to use it. Especially if the books you plan to sub are more for sentimental reasons where you don't have to rush it to get it to the market..just wait...something else might be in your collection in the next few months are are worth rushing.

just my 2 cents

Why do people keep calling the three Collector's Society submissions "free tickets"? They're not free at all, they're $33 per submission, which is only a bargain if you're submitting higher-dollar books.

Why do people keep calling the three Collector's Society submissions "free tickets"? They're not free at all, they're $33 per submission, which is only a bargain if you're submitting higher-dollar books.

What do you mean? My 3 were free except for the shipping/insurance.

He means the fee for a year's membership. For the cost of that membership the only perk you get is the submissions, hence they are $33 each.

Ah, that makes sense although technically, they are $36 apiece i guess since it's $109 so unless you have $300+ books it isn't worth the money. Was worth it for me but they should change the "on time" for the 20 day express coupon on the site.

They got mine on 11/03 but they are still marked just as "verified". I cant imagine they're getting shipped out by 20 business days at this point.

I think what he means is that you pay for the membership. so, technically you are paying for the submissions.

If you look at the simple math:

Premium Membership is $109, 3 Economy submissions is $96 ($32 each x 3). So, by the math, cost of Premium membership is only $13 on top of the cost of 3 Economy submissions. So, as he is saying, you pay $13 for the membership and $96 for the Economy submissions.

If you were to get the Associate Membership at $39 and pay for 3 Economy submissions your cost would be $39 + $96 = $135.

Either way, you are paying for the submissions, going by his thinking. But no matter the thinking on cost of membership, Premium makes more sense on submissions than the Associate membership. Only by submitting Value tiers would the Associate membership be at best a minimal better value.

Associate membership at $39 + 3 Value Tier submission at $69 ($23 each x 2) = $108

You would actually save $1 by going with Associate membership vs. the Premium on Value Tier submissions.

Unless the prices on the CGC submission website have changed, these costs should be correct. Feel free to check the math.

These values do not include shipping/insurance, as those can vary and aren't relevant to the membership costs.

I appreciate everyone's input, whether they agreed with my thinking or not. I am learning quite a bit from all of you since being out of the hobby for several years. Thanks.

Associate membership at $39 + 3 Value Tier submission at $69 ($23 each x 2) = $108

You would actually save $1 by going with Associate membership vs. the Premium on Value Tier submissions.

You get 10% off by submitting online. Or at least you used to. Mind you, you got that discount without even being a member if you submitted online.

I did not take the discount into consideration, but, I thought you could not submit unless you were at least an associate member?

Even if I took the 10% discount into effect, it wouldn't change the difference in cost much, if at all. The discount would apply equally across all levels of membership. I could redo the math if you would like to see if it makes much of a difference.

OK, re-did the math with the discount.

This is only taking the Premium membership with the 3 "free" submissions into account.

Premium membership will be$109 across all tiers

Associate membership - Value Submission w/10% discount = $101.10 (Difference = +$7.90)

Associate membership - Economy Submission w/10% discount = 125.40 (Difference = -$16.40)

Associate membership - Standard Submission w/10% discount = 193.80 (Difference = -$94.80)

Still not much of a savings on Value Submissions.

The books I submit with my coupons are books that I would submit regardless...I might as well get the membership if I am going to spend the money anyway.

If I had 300.00 books laying around the house, I wouldn't have any money left for submission fees. Not all of us have the deep pockets necessary to acquire a lot "great" books like that.

I think the way he has chosen to spend his "free" coupons suits him just fine...and really that is all that matters.

Aszumilo...use those coupons on whatever drek you would like...lol.

I don't see where you can submit without a middleman or joining. When I look at the options, it says there are 3 ways to submit

We offer three ways to submit your comics to CGC for grading.

1. You may submit comics if you are a paid, active member of CGC Collectors Society.

2. Submit through a dealer near you

3. Submit comics through one of our Internet partners:

I am probably missing it somewhere, but, I don't see it. Any chance you can be so kind as to point it out?

He means the fee for a year's membership. For the cost of that membership the only perk you get is the submissions, hence they are $33 each.

Gav, the 3 sub tickets are nice but I wouldn't say they are the only perk. Some of us like the registry and the annual set competition as well as being able to inventory our CGC books. (shrug)