• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

All time favorite

20 posts in this topic

I know this kinda post must of come through these parts at some point, but I figured that some of us newbies havent seen anything like this, so I thought it might be fun (and educational) to list your All Time Favorite single book (not series or mini series mind you... 893naughty-thumb.gif) But that one single book that made you go hmmmm...or even a resounding DAMN for that matter!!! And list the reason why please!

For me its gotta be Uncanny X-Men #137. It had everything! Drama, romance, the moon and even the death of a Pheonix! I know that Byrne and Claremont hit their stride with this saga and this book ended that saga in grand fashion! If any kid came up to me and asked which book he should buy that he would simply love reading, I would tell him/her...Uncanny #137!! thumbsup2.gif

Batman 237 (Night Of The Reaper). Can't explain exactly why, except that art, story and characterization were spot on. Very cinematic. Has to be said, my favourite comic changes from day to day, but that one keeps on cropping up.

Least favourite: sorry, I know it's a little OT, but I've got to mention Warriors of Plasm 1. Guaranteed to induce nausea, that book, and the dialogue is hysterical.

AWWW! Got so many faves it's hard to pick one,but one I always loved since I bought it off the newstands when I was a kid: Fantastic Four # 55 ,Killer cover ,Kirby art,Great Battle Issue!!! When I look at it today it's truly Nostalgic for me ,takes me back to my childhood!!! cloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gif

This is a nostalgic pick, but it will probably always be my favorite comic book.

The cover just jumps off the page, and the story was so far above what I had read before (and after) that it literally freaked me out. From the first panel til the last, it was like I had jumped into a warzone, with crazy (yet compelling) stuff happening in virtually every panel. Who was this Thanos guy, and how did he become a God? Who was the Destroyer and why did he hate Thanos? Who were Eros, Mentor and ISAAC, and what the heck was Iron Man doing in there? And that last panel..... 893whatthe.gif

It was years later that I finally competed the run (these were probably the most expensive 70's books at that time), and I still feel that Captain Marvel 32 was Starlin's best work in the Captain Marvel series, from an art, action, story and even cover point of view.

14781264402.32.gif

Can't give you one. But I can give you three.

Marvel Team Up #1 - The first comic I remember buying as a kid.

Incredible Hulk 162 - One of my favorite childhood comics. Wendigo rules!

The Cat #4 - The Man-Bull used to scare the holy [!@#%^&^] out of me as a kid. I had nightmares over that book. shocked.gif

Batman 237 (Night Of The Reaper). Can't explain exactly why, except that art, story and characterization were spot on. Very cinematic. Has to be said, my favourite comic changes from day to day, but that one keeps on cropping up.

I wanted to get a reader of that I guess I need to pick one up as mine is entombed in plastic and I'd rather not crack it. tongue.gif

I know everyone likes the cover to SS 4 but I always liked the story better...

I know this kinda post must of come through these parts at some point, but I figured that some of us newbies havent seen anything like this, so I thought it might be fun (and educational) to list your All Time Favorite single book (not series or mini series mind you... 893naughty-thumb.gif) But that one single book that made you go hmmmm...or even a resounding DAMN for that matter!!! And list the reason why please!

For me its gotta be Uncanny X-Men #137. It had everything! Drama, romance, the moon and even the death of a Pheonix! I know that Byrne and Claremont hit their stride with this saga and this book ended that saga in grand fashion! If any kid came up to me and asked which book he should buy that he would simply love reading, I would tell him/her...Uncanny #137!! thumbsup2.gif

I musta' liked it too, I bough 70 copies. Sold 'em a few months later for $3.00 a copy. grin.gif

One thing I like about that issue is that it spells out exactly what Stan the Man was blabbing about (since 1970-71) in the Bullpen Bulletins concerning the Marvel Age of Comics: Phase II, or as we know it, The Bronze Age.

And yes, that issue did come out well before GS X-Men #1. grin.gif

I have that in CGC 9.6 with nice QP. Bought it in a Heritage Auction last summer for about $150. cloud9.gif

Hmmmmm............let's see......favorite issue.........

at25.jpg

My pick for favorite EC is Crime Suspenstories 17.

Nice Johnny Craig cover with beautiful Marie Severin coloring.

First story is "Touch and Go" which is my favorite Bradbury adaptation and also my favorite Johnny Craig story.

Also included is "Fired", a Williamson/Frazetta collaboration.

And there is a Jack Kamen and a Bill Elder story that work well as a pair of stories.

It also helps that this was one of the first EC's I read.

There may be better issues, but this is my favorite.

If you can find the reprint it will be a well spent $2.50.

Amazing Spider-Man #252, the black costume cover.

I was 15 when this book came out. My teen-age reaction was, "No way! Can they do that? Just change the look of Spider-Man?" I thought the black costume was awesome, and I was permanently hooked on comic from that point forward.

I think I set the top of the price curve for the CGC 9.8 of ASM #252, and I'm still waiting for someone to unearth a 9.9 or a 10. I'm staking my claim now -- its mine, price-be-damned!!

Jumping Jehosaphat deathlock!!!!! thats a lot of at25's!!!!

reminds me of a subby/iron man 1 photo posted aways back

Anyway mine is House of Mystery #261, my first horror comic & i was about 8 when i got it. It blew me away and every page is burned into my mind, especially that CRAZY suydam story!!!!

Nice pick on the Crime suspenstroies...that was one of my fave EC's/ I LOVE "Fired" thumbsup2.gif