• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone ever use BCW Mylars?

40 posts in this topic

They're .

The E Gerber mylar is the only way to go.

Eh, not much difference between the two. Although you should be able to get the Gerbers for less unless the BCW supplier already has them in Canada.

Bill Cole & Ernst Gerber were the ones that introduced mylar to the collectibles market back in the late 70s - they share a ton of the relevant patents. BCW's mylar is a cheap knock-off, similar to how BCW's "Comic Book Houses" are cheap knock-offs of Drawerboxes.

To add insult to injury BCW's mylar is also stunningly overpriced compared to E Gerber's - which means that not only are you getting an inferior product, you're also overpaying for the privilege :thumbsup:

They're .

The E Gerber mylar is the only way to go.

Eh, not much difference between the two. Although you should be able to get the Gerbers for less unless the BCW supplier already has them in Canada.

Bill Cole & Ernst Gerber were the ones that introduced mylar to the collectibles market back in the late 70s - they share a ton of the relevant patents. BCW's mylar is a cheap knock-off, similar to how BCW's "Comic Book Houses" are cheap knock-offs of Drawerboxes.

To add insult to injury BCW's mylar is also stunningly overpriced compared to E Gerber's - which means that not only are you getting an inferior product, you're also overpaying for the privilege :thumbsup:

Sounds like a bad experience?

Inferior meaning what in terms of its ability to preserve comics?

The only difference between BCW and Gerber Mylars are the price and sizes. Pay very close attention to the actual size of the bag with BCW as their nomenclature is different than Gerbers. That said, any other comic product from BCW should only be used for short term storage at best.

Also, I can't imagine that you can buy BCW cheaper than Gerber, unless the supplier already has the bags in Canada. I'm not certain how the rates compare within Canada to our rates to ship there from the USA.

What's the consensus on replacing mylars? I know they are the choice for archiving and should last many years, but I'm using top loaders from Ultra-Pro that are ~9 years old and they're starting to split at the seams.

The Ultra-Pro toploaders aren't mylar and aren't archival safe - they're made from polypropylene, the most commonly-used material for non-mylar comic book bags. The various manufacturers of polypropylene bags all have a tendency to claim that their products are archival-safe - don't be fooled by their heinous lies :preach:

man i need to get around to buying some of these. Shipping expense is just so damn prohibitive. Anyone know the best place to get E Gerbers in the Central FL area?

Get your stuff from Hotflips if they come to Megacon next spring.

(shrug)

Bill Cole's polyester film (Mylar) and Gerber's polyester film is exactly the same. The only difference is the way the lip at the top of the bag looks.

Ernie Gerber and Bill Cole got in a patent dispute way back in the 80s and it resulted in the parties having a window of exclusivity for certain markets. Once that exclusivity ended they both started selling to the same markets and Gerber decided to go on price/volume, whereas Cole went high-end and focused on the archival market (LOC, National Archives, etc.). Bill Cole makes a handsome profit on every order he sells to the comics market. Gerber sells more but at a lower profit.

I bought 5,000 super GA Mylars from Jef Hinds before he got out of the biz in the 90s. I still have a few hundred left!

man i need to get around to buying some of these. Shipping expense is just so damn prohibitive. Anyone know the best place to get E Gerbers in the Central FL area?

Get your stuff from Hotflips if they come to Megacon next spring.

(shrug)

they are not coming to sunny FL... :sorry:

I bought 5,000 super GA Mylars from Jef Hinds before he got out of the biz in the 90s. I still have a few hundred left!

Gary, you sure Hinds is out of the mylar business? I actually like the 4mil Mylars he sells with the short flap. They are a little taller than Cole's or Gerber's and wont fit into a regular box, just a Magazine box. But its alot easier to get the book in. You dont have to fight the flap to get a book in or out.

I talked to him sometime earlier in the year and he said he still carries the mylars but just does'nt list them on his site. (shrug)

DR.X

??? I think people are getting BCW confused with Bill Cole Enterprises ...they aren't the same

What exactly does BCW stand for ??

I've been using Bill Cole Enterprises for a few years now. I love the thickness of the Mylars.