• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Color-blind Thor casting sparks hate-group outrage

377 posts in this topic

there is only One True God.

Jimi Hendrix (thumbs u

Close. It's actually Lemmy Kilmister.

I'm thinking...........John Lennon or Bill Hicks.

Definitely not John Lennon. Bill Hicks? Well, he inspired another God at least, Maynard James Keenan.

Well, it's definitely not Falco...

Wow. No guesses as to the identity of the shill.

Jimi Hendrix (thumbs u

Definitely not John Lennon. Bill Hicks? Well, he inspired another God at least, Maynard James Keenan.

I'll buy a vowel....

Jimi Hendrix (thumbs u

I'll buy a vowel....

Where were you in the 80's? I absolutely refuse to post a video from Falco. :eek:

Jimi Hendrix (thumbs u

I'll buy a vowel....

Where were you in the 80's? I absolutely refuse to post a video from Falco. :eek:

I was there and I remember that chap. Not sure it is who you think it is, tho'....

Jimi Hendrix (thumbs u

I'll buy a vowel....

I was there and I remember that chap. Not sure it is who you think it is, tho'....

I think it is. Same I'm-being-persecuted whine. lol

Just saw this thread and like it or not here's my opinion. :)

I really, really don't like it when they cast characters, whether on TV or on the big screen, with actors of a different color than the original character. Call me old fashioned or whatever, I just like the original better. No matter what it is.

It bugs the krap out of me that Nick Fury is cast with a black person. It also bugged me when they gave the Kingpin role to a black actor. Why? Because they were both black? No.....because they were not portraying the original character as closely as they could have. Would I have thought it stranger than hell if they made Joe Robbie a white guy in the Spider-Man movies? Damn straight I would. What if they portrayed Jackie Chan with someone from the Middle East? Would that seem right? Absolutely not.

I guess I'm just set in my ways. I hate remakes of songs. I always like the original better. The original Coke is better than the new Coke. I eat green beans because they are GREEN. Make 'em purple and I wouldn't eat 'em. And I won't eat ketchup unless it's RED.

And as far as people in general go, I'd like to think that we're not white or black or yellow or tan. We're all just different shades of brown...some lighter and some darker. :foryou:

"Discriminatory behaviors take many forms, but they all involve some form of exclusion or rejection." -United Nations CyberSchoolBus.

The trend of color-blind casting in Hollywood is certainly not without precedent, if one considers the lack of discrimination in other areas such as creed, religion, national origin or sexual orientation.

Color-blind casting is just more noticeable.

For an example, how many people complained about a Quaker playing a prominent Hindu leader when casting Ben Kingsley as Gandhi? Hollywood has cast many Christians playing Jews in such roles as Shylock in The Merchant of Venice.

For decades Rock Hudson played the role of a romantic leading (straight) man despite many people close to him knowing his correct sexual orientation. Neil Patrick Harris plays a straight man on television and no one seems to mind.

I guess it’s easier to accept stuff like that than the obvious black on white.

dis•crim•i•na•tion

2. Treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs rather than on individual merit: racial and religious intolerance and discrimination.

2c

Yes, this is all very good, but I think it is valid to object to racial miscasting at times.

Personally I'm fine with a black Heimdall. I wouldn't be watching Thor for an accurate portrayal of Norse mythology, and he's a god - he can look like whatever he wants. All I want from a Thor movie is entertainment, and if the actor is entertaining in the role, then it's good casting.

I think it can be offensive to change race when the character in question has race as a defining characteristic. One of the main points about Luke Cage or Black Panther is that they are black. It's a defining characteristic. They don't just 'happen' to be black, it's part of their reason for being. Not so Spiderman. Stan Lee didn't say "Hey I've got an idea! How about we create a white superhero! He could fight crime and do commentary on white issues at the same time!".

An example that offended me was the casting of Earthsea. The whole adaptation was beyond atrocious, but that's beside the point. When Ursula LeGuin wrote A Wizard of Earthsea she deliberately designed the lead character, and most of the people in the world of Earthsea, as 'non-white'. He is described as copper skinned, something like native Americans. She did this because she felt the fantasy genre was invariably a whitewash, and she wanted to create something that someone other than white kids could relate to for a change.

The racial makeup of the people of Earthsea is important to its author, and to many fans who felt empowered by the book (it was published in 1968). So, when the horrible TV adaptation came along and whitewashed Earthsea, it rightly offended many people including LeGuin.

Interesting. If Idris Elba could play Hemindal in THOR, could he also play a Nazi captain in a World War 2 film?

I guess that depends on whether it was a serious attempt at portraying the era, or something a little off the wall like Inglourious Basterds or The Producers. Hmm, OK, not Inglourious Basterds, that would've been distracting, but you get the point.

I can understand why a few devoted Thor comics fans might be a little irked by the change in race of a supporting character, in the same way I was a little irked when I heard about black Kingpin or female Gabriel (Constantine movie), but it's no big deal.

On reflection, black Kingpin was one of the better elements of that unfortunate movie, and female Gabriel (played by the superb Tilda Swinton) was fantastic. She almost single-handedly saved the movie from complete disregard.

Oh and by the way, on the subject of movie/comic inaccuracies that upset fans: Organic webshooters were a significant improvement over the original concept :)

I can see where Idris Elba cast as a Nazi captain could be distracting in "serious" WW2 film. However, would there be a problem with casting Elba as James Bond?

Jimi Hendrix (thumbs u

They're all candidates.

You may vote for as many as you like:

• Kirby
  • Eisner
  • Baker
  • Kubert
  • Fine
  • Wolverton
  • Heath
  • Everett
  • Severin
  • Maneely
  • Ditko
  • Infantino
  • Swan
  • Colan
  • Williamson
  • Frazetta
  • Kane (Gil)

WIth a few notable exceptions, you could meet most of these gods at conventions up until a few years ago. Kubert, Heath, and Colan (pending health considerations) are still making appearances.

Jimi Hendrix (thumbs u

They're all candidates.

You may vote for as many as you like:

• Kirby
  • Eisner
  • Baker
  • Kubert
  • Fine
  • Wolverton
  • Heath
  • Everett
  • Severin
  • Maneely
  • Ditko
  • Infantino
  • Swan
  • Colan
  • Williamson
  • Frazetta
  • Kane (Gil)

WIth a few notable exceptions, you could meet most of these gods at conventions up until a few years ago. Kubert, Heath, and Colan (pending health considerations) are still making appearances.

Them guys were talking about rock 'n' roll gods (and I would include Bill Hicks in that department). I've been fortunate enough to meet a few of the greats that you listed....

One last note before I (no doubt) get banned: These comic book characters are based on deities from a religion that is still active. So to a pretty sizable number of people, this is not a "minor" thing. There's no legitimate reason to cast a black actor -- regardless of his talent -- in this role, and a whole lot of reason to not do it. Imagine if some studio "bought the rights" to Malcolm X and produced a film with Denis Leary playing the title role. It's wrong, it's offensive -- maybe deliberately offensive -- and it's just plain stupid. So is defending it.

You're retarded if you think this is an apt analogy.

I'm retarded for even replying to you.