• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Color-blind Thor casting sparks hate-group outrage

377 posts in this topic

Although I'm a stickler for detail and would have preferred that they cast people who fit the roles in the comics, I think that this is a very good choice for Heimdall. When I saw the trailer it did not cross my mind in the slightest that he was the wrong color. He simply looks the part, dark skinned or not.

Is that because he's not a central character? What if they had cast Michael Jai White as Thor?

I honestly don't get your point of view (shrug)

Although I'm a stickler for detail and would have preferred that they cast people who fit the roles in the comics, I think that this is a very good choice for Heimdall. When I saw the trailer it did not cross my mind in the slightest that he was the wrong color. He simply looks the part, dark skinned or not.

Is that because he's not a central character? What if they had cast Michael Jai White as Thor?

I honestly don't get your point of view (shrug)

Well, to be honest I didn't think about it. It didn't even register that Heimdall was black until this thread was started. I just thought that he looked terrific and left it at that.

Maybe because he is not a central character, it's not as important a point.

Wasn't the North American Indian Brotherhood or some such organization up in arms a few years ago because lazy Hollywood producers had been casting non-Indians as extras playing Indians? As if giving a fellow a blanket and a feather was enough to fit the bill....

:tonofbricks:

Heimdall, like Loki, is described as a shape changer in the original stories, and they battle to the death at Ragnarok while using this shared ability.

So, for a god capable of transforming himself say, into a feral animal like an eagle, tiger or wolverine, for example, aren't very superficial characteristics such as creating a little extra melanin pigmentation in the skin and some slight changes to facial bone structure really quite trivial? (shrug)

I am Norwegian...I approve of this dude playing the role. Therefore, it is all good.
:eyeroll:

Listen, did I give you grief when you were up in arms about Burt Reynolds playing Boss Hogg? Did I?

I haven't even seen the Dukes of Hazard movie. Plus, they're Kentuckians.

:whatev: