• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Color-blind Thor casting sparks hate-group outrage

377 posts in this topic

Nobody gets too upset when Jesus is done by white european actors.

what are you talking about? jesus (a/k/a bjorn borg) had long flowing blonde hair and bright blue eyes just like everyone else in the middle east. i saw his picture in church!

So now this is turning into religious views?

i don't think that's it at all. i could be the biggest true believer out there and go to church more than my current 2-3X a year and still wonder about that depiction when everyone else from that neck of the woods at that time qas quite a bit swarthier so to speak. and then the movies compound this, although the last few i've seen have not gone the blonde jesus route thankfully.

I'm not for colorblind casting in any form and I'm not a racist. I think it's stupid.

I agree. I won't be boycotting the movie though. I just won't be going, that's all. If they paid that little attention to getting the casting right, the whole thing will probably be dreadful.

:tonofbricks:

This is a Marvel comic book fantasy not a recreation of a Norse Myth. The casting of a black person isn't going to make a difference in the story. Nobody is going to be confused by it. No one in the audience is going to be distracted by it. No little kid is going to go home and think that Norway had the same racial breakdown a thousand years ago that the USA has today, simply because of it. Even little kids are pretty good at telling fantasy from reality.

There are times when you want Caucasians in specific roles and African Americans (and Asians and Australian Aborigineesand Native Canadians) in specific roles. This isn't one of them. It doesn't matter. I don't know if the group all upset about this is racist or just a bunch or real nitpickers. I am fairly certain that they think the producers of the film are racist for shoehorning a black person into what is in the literature and in mythology a white role.

This is a Marvel comic book fantasy not a recreation of a Norse Myth. The casting of a black person isn't going to make a difference in the story. Nobody is going to be confused by it. No one in the audience is going to be distracted by it. No little kid is going to go home and think that Norway had the same racial breakdown a thousand years ago that the USA has today, simply because of it. Even little kids are pretty good at telling fantasy from reality.

There are times when you want Caucasians in specific roles and African Americans (and Asians and Australian Aborigineesand Native Canadians) in specific roles. This isn't one of them. It doesn't matter. I don't know if the group all upset about this is racist or just a bunch or real nitpickers. I am fairly certain that they think the producers of the film are racist for shoehorning a black person into what is in the literature and in mythology a white role.

I agree completely :)

And the group in question are racist, yes. One of those little clubs for cowardly, petrified imbeciles to huddle together and scream.

i'm still mad as hell that david carradine was cast in 'kung fu'. LAME!!! :mad:

the character is supposed to be half caucasian. as brandon lee was just a baby, and heaven forbid they use a nobody...

i'm still mad as hell that david carradine was cast in 'kung fu'. LAME!!! :mad:

Exactly. I like Carradine and I like the show. It's irritating to me that they cast a white guy to play a Chinese man.

One time on another comics forum I visit this topic came up and someone asked why couldn't Bruce Willis play Shaft? The answer was that Shaft's "blackness" was an integral part of the character. Honestly, isn't the flip side of the coin true as well?

Although I'm a stickler for detail and would have preferred that they cast people who fit the roles in the comics, I think that this is a very good choice for Heimdall. When I saw the trailer it did not cross my mind in the slightest that he was the wrong color. He simply looks the part, dark skinned or not.