• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HULK 181 CGC 9.9?
1 1

488 posts in this topic

Are we here to learn and discuss? or would everyone rather just be happy clickers on your emoticons and accept big brother's foot up your

No I'm here to happily click graemlins, learning and discussions are for , also I enjoy a foot up my every now and then, even if it is from my brother :sumo:

After my last batch from CGC that I held side by side with a batch from a few weeks prior I am totally puzzled on how they get their grades. How does a comic with spine ticks and creases grade higher than one that's in near perfect condition? I'm not going to re-submit on a regular basis because playing this lottery is getting too expensive.

I may crack a 129 and resend it and then see how consistent they are and use that on my ebay about me profile as an example of third party grading.

After my last batch from CGC that I held side by side with a batch from a few weeks prior I am totally puzzled on how they get their grades. How does a comic with spine ticks and creases grade higher than one that's in near perfect condition?

I agree with your statement but you are going on strictly eye appeal. If the spine ticks and creases don't break color CGC seems to let them slide. However, get one miniscule hidden flaw and they hammer it. I suspect they consider some flaws irreversible whereas the NCB spine ticks, in theory, are not = they can be 'fixed'.

Whether we agree with their grading criteria or not, they are consistent, which is important.

After my last batch from CGC that I held side by side with a batch from a few weeks prior I am totally puzzled on how they get their grades. How does a comic with spine ticks and creases grade higher than one that's in near perfect condition? I'm not going to re-submit on a regular basis because playing this lottery is getting too expensive.

I may crack a 129 and resend it and then see how consistent they are and use that on my ebay about me profile as an example of third party grading.

Just call for the notes to find out

After my last batch from CGC that I held side by side with a batch from a few weeks prior I am totally puzzled on how they get their grades. How does a comic with spine ticks and creases grade higher than one that's in near perfect condition?

Why can you just check for details from the graders? I don't get it..why des it have to be "lottery" type deal...

Are we here to learn and discuss? or would everyone rather just be happy clickers on your emoticons and accept big brother's foot up your

No I'm here to happily click graemlins, learning and discussions are for , also I enjoy a foot up my every now and then, even if it is from my brother :sumo:

+1

I thought this place was all about the clicking.

(shrug)

I post to inform. I will give you brutal honesty.

Most of your posts are condescending. Almost everyone in this thread reading your posts have already thought and written about the same things that you are saying 10 times over but you're talking to everyone like they are 5 year old school kids and you are the teacher.

It's actually pretty annoying to read your wall of posts only to find out that you are stating the obvious over and over.

You are an inane drone.

That's a good way to start off the day.

doh!

Are we here to learn and discuss? or would everyone rather just be happy clickers on your emoticons and accept big brother's foot up your on each $20 slab? Get passionate people and don't be afraid to say what you feel. No one needs to know my ebay handles. After all this I'd give them out? no chance. There is too much negativity on these boards and criticism of simply what is my opinion in the matters. Perhaps some do not want to face themselves for their reluctant acceptance of the CGC. This is 1984 and we are all at war against Eastasia, or is it Eastonia? who knows... but in the end, everyone will wake up to their shock treatment and see the green pastures. All will feel the CGC's power, and their power over the hobby. The hobby is no longer sacred. When you go out past the city limits into the green fields with your woman to read some unslabbed books together, to escape the plastic that is now everywhere in the city, the CGC will be hiding behind the bushes. They prey on all. Just when you are at the high point of the story together, the CGC will reveal themselves and they will grade you!! You will be taken away and put behind plastic too!

Yes I believe that most people MUST be CGC slaves in order to collect or even deal nowadays. I sell CGC and therefore I am a slave. Most of my profits go to CGC for fees. It is only getting worse. One must reach their low point, before they can begin to surface again, just like Winston. and the CGC will make sure you go down to the lowest point first, before you even have a chance at recovery again. Some cannot survive the trip to the lowest point, and give up the hobby. There is no recovery for those who buy watchmen #1s for 3k, and cannot get $500 out of the comic now. They are turned off from the hobby. It has been ruined for them by the CGC. In turn, all the burned buyers should get together and burn their copies of watchmen #1 cgc 9.8 together in one big flaming bundle of BS, and laid back upon the CGC's doorstep.

actually it was ruined by their own stupidity in shelling out $3k for a watchmen #1. there was no one at CGC holding a gun to their head forcing them to buy the book.

Edited by paperheart

I agree with your statement but you are going on strictly eye appeal. If the spine ticks and creases don't break color CGC seems to let them slide. However, get one miniscule hidden flaw and they hammer it. I suspect they consider some flaws irreversible whereas the NCB spine ticks, in theory, are not = they can be 'fixed'.

Whether we agree with their grading criteria or not, they are consistent, which is important.

I would not go that far

Originally Posted By: paperheart

actually it was ruined by their own stupidity in shelling out $3k for a watchmen #1. there was no one at CGC holding a gun to their head forcing them to buy the book.

I totally agree with this statement, with so many scammers out there selling resored copies as unrestored,or inaccurate overblown grading, CGC helps to clarify that the copy you are receiveing is or is not restored and the condition of your copy. If you are the original owner of let's say the Watchmen 1 or Hulk 181 9.9, then right now you are feeling pretty estatic. I do not buy anything raw off ebay and certain dealers because of the uncertainty. Greedy scum is what if anything runs the hobby. I would personally spend big bucks for a CGC comic then something raw that might be restored, plus you have alot of new people getting into collecting who no nothing about comics to begin with and spend huge amount of money on books that movie based and have not slowly matured into their current value, but as a seller those are the one's we are after. There are so many misinformed people that don't know the going values and dish out 10.00 for GPA analysis. To me CGC is just a service if you dislike CGC then send all your comics to PGX.

Other than greengods last Orwellian post with the Watchmen #1 example (which is pretty inane as far as I am concerned), he is simply reiterating what many others have said in the past.

Sure it is. Presentation counts, however. And he presents like a douchenozzle.

Consistent by batch?

By day?

By month?

By year?

Can't agree there. Over time, grading has been like a roller-coaster ride, IMHO.

And if you don't believe me, this little exchange from earlier this week is quite interesting...

Squarebacks are VERY hard to grade. I had a DD GS #1 that graded a 7.0 the first time a I sub'd it. After 2 more submissions of the book within a years time, I finally agreed with the grade they gave it of a 9.0.

Squares are very subjective to CGC.....

So a 7.0 can be a 9.0 without any manipulation? hm

Am I the only one who thinks this is appalling? (shrug)

No, I think it's fishy.

Whats fishy about it?

This was many many years ago. And after the book got the grade it deserved, I stopped subbing to CGC for nearly 2 years. And no, I never sent the book for pressing or had it altered in any way. Just different grades from what I assume would be different graders from one year to the next.....

I've had it go the other way as well. Sent a square to be slabbed, came back another 7.0 that I didn't agree with, uncapped it, resubbed and it came back a 6.0!

Wasn't trying to sound absurd, just giving my example of squared submissions.

If you don't have the eye to determine if a raw book is unrestored or not, then yes you need to only buy slabs. The CGC will do the work for you that you cannot take the responsibility for yourself, and then at that point you must accept their decision in the grade, for you have no other recourse since you cannot make a judgement yourself. If you come into this hobby, make it your responsibility first to learn about how to grade a raw comic, and determine if it is complete and if restored or not. When you send it in, figure out what you think it will come back.. If you rely on the CGC to do all the hard work for you, then it's no wonder you come at me like you do. You have no respect for a person with a little more comic knowledge than you do. Understandable though if you back the CGC. You hold them in esteem over any single person. You need to see my eBay ID in order to verify my credibility? Maybe learn to determine if a person's statements make sense or not to you and have some faith in your belief in them.., rather than having to see something first to believe.. . if my statements don't make sense to you, perhaps you are not on the same level. so you are left to force the credibility issue. yes im not credible lol. I speak fictionally. This is all lies!! Why would i waste my time...Ignore me, these posts are for the more accepting people in this thread who understand that they can learn from others. If you don't learn at least 1 thing new from another person, you are going around with blinders on.

If you don't have the eye to determine if a raw book is unrestored or not, then yes you need to only buy slabs. The CGC will do the work for you that you cannot take the responsibility for yourself, and then at that point you must accept their decision in the grade, for you have no other recourse since you cannot make a judgement yourself. If you come into this hobby, make it your responsibility first to learn about how to grade a raw comic, and determine if it is complete and if restored or not. When you send it in, figure out what you think it will come back.. If you rely on the CGC to do all the hard work for you, then it's no wonder you come at me like you do. You have no respect for a person with a little more comic knowledge than you do. Understandable though if you back the CGC. You hold them in esteem over any single person. You need to see my eBay ID in order to verify my credibility? Maybe learn to determine if a person's statements make sense or not to you and have some faith in your belief in them.., rather than having to see something first to believe.. . if my statements don't make sense to you, perhaps you are not on the same level. so you are left to force the credibility issue. yes im not credible lol. I speak fictionally. This is all lies!! Why would i waste my time...Ignore me, these posts are for the more accepting people in this thread who understand that they can learn from others. If you don't learn at least 1 thing new from another person, you are going around with blinders on.

So, what can the people here teach you?

I think the problem here is semantics. I mean what you are arguing is that this book is overgraded. Well guess what? Most people think the 9.9 Hulk 181 is overgraded. You are not the first to say that, and you will not be the last to say that. Then you come on with it is the book, not the number that matters. Well again you are not the first, and you are not the last to say this. And yes CGC exists because too many people do not take the time to properly examine a comic book for any inherent flaws. And because of that CGC is a thriving business. This also has been stated to the nth degree.

So basically what you are stating is not new, and this belief that you are educating the CGC masses with your insight is a complete lie that you have managed to fabricate inside your own head. Personally I could care less if you are an Ebay seller. That has nothing to do with your argument. Your argument is no more or less valid because of this. But your arrogance in believing that what you are saying is somehow revelatory in someway is very laughable.

If you don't learn at least 1 thing new from another person, you are going around with blinders on.

I think if you don't start reading more and posting less before you try to make a point that has been made a billion times before, then people are going to learn to ignore you.

(shrug)