• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The 2010 Nik Memorial Grading Contest *Round 2* Results

119 posts in this topic

Here's my thinking on the last round:

"Man, it sure looks like a 7.0, but that last book got a severely-overgraded 9.4 so I better up my guess by quite a bit." lol

Severely over graded? How is a bump from a 9.2 to a 9.4 severely over graded?

I would have not been near as far off on this one if I had known the books were not submitted on their potential for good grades.

Now that I realize these must have just been sent in for fun, I hope I do better.

Why would anyone submit that book in that condition for grading? :screwy:

Why would a book with multiple major CGC defects (listed in the description no less) be expected to receive a good grade? The books were sent in for a grading contest. What kind of contest would it be if all the books were the same grade? (shrug)

If anyone was expecting to just pick from 9.2s, 9.4s, 9.6s and 9.8s, well you're in for a treat as the grade range for these books are rather... diverse. :insane:

So what's going on at the top left of the book - is that a piece out, a chewed spot, or dist. ink/discoloroation, or a paper pull/thin spot or what? I maxed out the zoom and still couldn't decide what it was. :frustrated:

I would have not been near as far off on this one if I had known the books were not submitted on their potential for good grades.

Now that I realize these must have just been sent in for fun, I hope I do better.

Why would anyone submit that book in that condition for grading? :screwy:

Why would a book with multiple major CGC defects (listed in the description no less) be expected to receive a good grade? The books were sent in for a grading contest. What kind of contest would it be if all the books were the same grade? (shrug)

If anyone was expecting to just pick from 9.2s, 9.4s, 9.6s and 9.8s, well you're in for a treat as the grade range for these books are rather... diverse. :insane:

So what's going on at the top left of the book - is that a piece out, a chewed spot, or dist. ink/discoloroation, or a paper pull/thin spot or what? I maxed out the zoom and still couldn't decide what it was. :frustrated:

Looks like a scrape.

Off by .5. At least I am consistently within .2/.5 which is fine by me.

Boozad, where you at buddy?

Considering the first book was given a 9.4, I thought I would go with what I thought CGC would have given book #2. Obviously they're out to mess with my head.

Off by .5. At least I am consistently within .2/.5 which is fine by me.

Boozad, where you at buddy?

Considering the first book was given a 9.4, I thought I would go with what I thought CGC would have given book #2. Obviously they're out to mess with my head.

They could blow your mind with the old "dissappearing thumb" trick. :kidaround:

Here's my thinking on the last round:

"Man, it sure looks like a 7.0, but that last book got a severely-overgraded 9.4 so I better up my guess by quite a bit." lol

Severely over graded? How is a bump from a 9.2 to a 9.4 severely over graded?

My eventual grade was a 9.0 (9.1 actually, but that doesn't exist with CGC) so I already bumped it to a 9.2. :insane:

Seriously, like I said, I meticulously graded the first book and because that didn't work, I totally guessed on the second. But it's all for fun anyway, right? (shrug)

The big issue was whether it was production or not and that would make a big difference in the eventual grade.

I personally don't think there should be any "selective defect disclosure" - like when you're submitting, just toss up the scan and have at 'em. :preach:

BTW, when does Round 3 start?

I personally don't think there should be any "selective defect disclosure"...

It's not selective. It's for defects that are there, but you can't see them in the scan. If you misjudge the visible defects, well, that's your own fault.

I personally don't think there should be any "selective defect disclosure"...

It's not selective. It's for defects that are there, but you can't see them in the scan. If you misjudge the visible defects, well, that's your own fault.

I think the defect disclosure was perfect, Jim. Also, I was glad to see that no questions were anwsered as some people had already submitted their grade.